8Re: What do they do well - and what do they still need to do

  • Rohn Jay Miller
    Sep 24, 2003
      I've just completed building a large-scale publishing
      system on top of Interwoven, which is considered one
      of the top CMSs and I keep shaking my head at the
      conceptual limitations of the system.

      as Mike J points out, most of these CMS's are really
      "page generators," which allow simple link management.
      But Interwoven---just to pick on them--has no index
      of the pages you've posted to a site. So unless you
      keep a really good Excel spreadsheet record on your
      own, you haven't a clue about the number, distribution
      and content of the pages on your site.

      We've looked at trying to paste Adobe Acrobat 6.0 or
      website spidering shareware on top of the Interwoven
      mess to have some kind of audit feature of what's on
      the site---but why is this our problem?

      I've seen home grown CMS's--including one I expanded
      into a large-scale CMS at Knight Ridder
      newspapers--and I've seen shareware and a few
      commercial low-end SiteBuilder type applications. But
      where is the leadership in CMS's for large-scale
      corporate and institutional Websites?

      I think a root of the problem is that all the venture
      cash was burned up two years ago and companies like
      Interwoven and Vingette are holding on by the
      fingernails. (Interwoven stock has fallen from $65 a
      share three years ago to $3 a share now---which means
      it was a $7 billion company and now it's a $350
      million company)

      Just ranting, but perhaps there's a CMS that's
      listening.