7Re: CMS: What do they do well - and what do they still need to do

  • mikejaixen
    Sep 24, 2003
      Tools like this (or Interwoven's MetaTagger) appear to have a great
      deal of power to help categorize content. But they essentially stop
      after the content is categorized in the repository.

      They still lack the tools that allow me to export that metadata into a
      navigable web site, except through <META> tags that can be utilized by
      search.

      Perhaps CIS is different (we looked at Documentum until they cancelled
      on us), but I still haven't seen the power to take that metadata and
      taxonomy, and push out the structure of a web site. It's very
      disappointing to see much of the information I need buried deep inside
      the CMS, and no way to easily pull that information out.

      (As for the comment on being web centric, I plead guilty as charged.
      But I don't know that the need to be able to maintain a web IA of
      content is any different than the need to be able to maintain any
      other organization of content. The difference is merely the publication.)

      --- In ia-cms-l@yahoogroups.com, David Heller <bolinhanyc@y...> wrote:
      > Hi Mike,
      >
      > Please take another look @ documentum (everyone I am no longer an
      > employee of DCTM) they have a wonderful addition to their Web
      > Publisher application called Content Intelligence Services. OK, I was
      > not in product marketing there, so I didn't come up w/ the name, but
      > this is basically a robust engine for taxonomy and meta data
      > management and if I understand Mike correctly it is the engine for
      > mike to do exactly what he needs.
      >
      > Now here's the trick. There is no magic here. Someone has to configure
      > this puppy. Someone has to create the taxonomical structure. Nothing
      > can do this for you. Nothing is going to do your job for you. If they
      > claim it does, they are lying.
      >
      > But what tools like CIS do for you is manage it for you after the fact
      > and help you apply your work to the content you previously created and
      > will create.
      >
      > -- dave
    • Show all 11 messages in this topic