5Re: [ia-cms-l] Re: CMS: What do they do well - and what do they still need to do

  • melanie.kendell
    Sep 23, 2003
      mike wrote:

      <snip>
      > In my vision of what a content management system should do, it would
      > contain an automated inventory of all of the content, which would
      > include all of the information that IA's typically collect manually
      > through a site audit. It would then give you tools to work with that
      > content inventory and update/regenerate navigation as necessary.
      </snip>

      In my vision a content management system manages content for several
      delivery methods, not just websites. I agree a *web* content
      management system should manage content at both page and site level.

      A *content* management system should allow you to manage content at a
      topic and "document" level even if that "document" is actually an
      online help system.

      I know IA is mostly concerned with web delivery, and while that pays
      the bills that's fine, but I would like to see and use a more holistic
      view where the requirements for information are analysed at a higher
      level and the best way to communicate the information is implemented -
      which may be through a website, but may include other avenues or
      combinations of approaches all of which should be able to be sourced
      from the content contained in a content management system.

      -Melanie Kendell
    • Show all 11 messages in this topic