18Re: [ia-cms-l] What do they do well - and what do they still need to do

  • melanie.kendell
    Sep 30, 2003
      Hi Bev

      Can you (or anyone else) point me at some credible examples of ROI.

      I'm very close indeed to being able to put all my hard won knowledge
      into practice - the developers can see the benefits, the product
      managers can see the benefits, all I need to do now is convince the
      bean counters and recruit a project champion and we should be
      underway.

      It shouldn't be that hard a sell
      - we translate to many different languages
      - we have similar products with content overlap
      - we are looking to single-source paper, help, and web content
      - we have remote writers and remote reviewers
      - and previously created content is notorious for disappearing into
      black holes of obscurity never to be found again.

      One thing I'm trying to do is make it clear that it's not as simple as
      buying the software and away we go - I'm not sure I'm succeeding in
      this regard. My clients have gone from using a PDF file (without TOC
      or hyperlinks) as online help six weeks ago to why are we bothering to
      buy a HATT for the release in 2 weeks time when we're going to have a
      CMS!

      -Melanie Kendell