15Re: [ia-cms-l] Digest Number 5

  • Rohn Jay Miller
    Sep 29, 2003
      <<Message: 2
      Date: Sat, 27 Sep 2003 18:01:55 -0700 (PDT)
      From: Bev Corwin <bevcorwin@...>
      Subject: Re: Re: CMS: What do they do well - and what
      do they still need to do

      <<Yes, I agree, like single source management, etc.
      and as many integrated output formats as possible.>>

      Bev: If you mean the ability to manage output content
      into source technical formats, such as .GIF, .JPG,
      .TXT, or integrated source formats as .HTML, .JSP,
      (especially with metadata) I agree.

      It's when CMS companies start selling "author-once,
      publish many times" systems that I storm indignantly
      from the room. Quark, Net Objects, Broadvision and
      others have tried to sell this snake oil at various
      times.

      I've seen many clients spend way too much time, money
      and thought trying to implement big, single source CMS
      where effort is 4X improvement. This is an idea which
      is inherently bass-ackwards. (I honestly think that
      for many sites the best CMS is two part-time college
      students working the late shift.)

      (Rohn Jay Miller)

      =====
      Rohn Jay Miller