Can't publish site...

  • fabartist
    Message 1 of 9 , Sep 11, 2009
      Every time I go to publish site changes this drop down menu Pops up and says:

      Publish Error
      Can't create the file "droppedImage.jpg." The disk may be damaged or full, or you may not have sufficient access pvivileges!

      Damn!

      This happened before and prior to our new Mac, a big beautiful machine, but at that time I was told my iWeb application was corrupted. Have to say, Apple support was not really able to help me out and only because I had the application on a flash stick, I could dump the application on my hard drive and start from scratch.

      I do not have the latest incarnation of my site on the flash... Does anyone know how to fix this????

      I've searched for the DroppedImage.jpg and it could be like one of 20+ images!!!! I used SPotlight to search for the image and that's about how many emerge!!!!!

      Thanks Gang/ Collene
      http://www.thevanitysite.com
    • Bobbo
      Message 2 of 9 , Sep 11, 2009
        You've been iwebbed. I get "Publish Error." I get it from a formerly good site, whether I try to pubish to a folder or directly to the site via FTP. Informative as hell, huh? Really helps with the ole troubleshooting!

         Bottom line, Collene, is that I'm experimenting with a program called Sandvox because, in typical iApp fashion, this beast gets less reliable as it goes along. I've once again lost a lot of blog entries, replacing the arcane file BS system with backups doesn't help, and I'm determined to stop relegating my websites to this easy to use, easy to get screwed by app.

        I know this is no help to you at all. Only thing I know to tell you is to open the site in iCrap, delete the photos one by one, and replace them once again. Also - be vigilant for illegal characters in your jpeg titles. I built amichiart.com in it, but didn't realize the friend who owns it had sent me a bunch of pix with asterisks at the beginning, like *Moonstruck.jpg. The completely logical result of this was that iTrash wouldn't load the photos on the page at all. Too touchy, too finicky, I don't trust it. I wonder if the lack of traffic on this site is due to everyone being deliriously happy with iWeb, or of people migrating from it to other, more reliable things. Of course, Sandvox and the other alternatives aren't free, for the most part, but it certainly seems to be true that you get what you pay for. Feh!!!!!

        Sorry if I've bruised any loyalty feelings here. This is an iWeb group after all. Don't mean to be rude, but I have come to dislike this program's unpredictability and user-unconscious interface with a red rolling passion. If only Apple would get reliability on deck before plastering new bells and whistles, we might still have the computer for "the rest of us." Right now, it seems an endless test of us.

        On Sep 11, 2009, at 6:43PM ~9/11/09, fabartist wrote:

[...]

      • Mike Rehbein

            Message 5 of 9 , Sep 12, 2009
              It's all good! ... I mean that anyone is looking at this group when at times there is nobody that can seem to solve the very annoying challenges that can come up with iWeb.

              B -- I'm going to try and figure out where the damaged file is ... I only added two new ones yesterday when I was making changes and yet it tells me this very, very old image/ jpg is why I can't publish... which I previously fixed.

              At this point, I don't think Apple Care is worth the expense as in the past they have told me this is beyond their scope. Truthfully, I feel uhm, to put it bluntly, screwed no matter what because what was going to be a quick and easy change on the site will likely now cost me hours to fix.

              My iWeb site was working sooooooooo well for soooooo long and I truly loved using it. (Maybe "love" is too strong a word," but when these glitches come up, it really sours me ... and then I get more soured when I call Apple Care and they say this is beyond their scope or frankly don't know why this happened.

              My only saving grace is we backed up files ... Have never worked with my backed up files, Time Machine, but I"m hoping if I open iWeb when it was last backed up and prior to this publishing error, that it will come up fine!

              Will let you know Onion!

              Collene

              http://www.thevanitysite.com

              And like you said --- In iWeb-list@yahoogroups.com, Bobbo <bobbo924@...> wrote:

              > You're quite right. My apologies to the list. I should have taken this
              > privately to Colleen.
              >
              > On Sep 12, 2009, at 3:24AM ~9/12/09, Mike Rehbein wrote:
              >
              > > Too much onion for me to peel for the value.
              > >
              > > Bye.
              > >

              > > On Sep 11, 2009, at 5:53 PM, Bobbo wrote:
              > >
              > >> You've been iwebbed. I get "Publish Error." I get it from a
              > >> formerly good site, whether I try to pubish to a folder or directly
              > >> to the site via FTP. Informative as hell, huh? Really helps with
              > >> the ole troubleshooting!
              > >>
              > >> (snip)
              > >>

              > Voice over site: http://www.bob-vo.com
              > Art site: http://www.bobbogoldberg.com
              > Empathic coaching: http://www.empathonline.com
              > Coaching for actors: http://www.coach4actors.com

            • Bob Earthlink
              Message 6 of 9 , Sep 12, 2009
                AppleCare is a different animal. I always figure into the cost of the machine. I've used it on every mac I've owned since the 8100.

                Sent from my iPhone

                Message 7 of 9 , Sep 12, 2009

                  On Sep 12, 2009, at 2:22PM ~9/12/09, fabartist wrote:

                  It's all good! ... I mean that anyone is looking at this group when at times there is nobody that can seem to solve the very annoying challenges that can come up with iWeb.

                  Well, as I said before, it isn't all good when things don't work. However.....

                  At this point, I don't think Apple Care is worth the expense as in the past they have told me this is beyond their scope. Truthfully, I feel uhm, to put it bluntly, screwed no matter what because what was going to be a quick and easy change on the site will likely now cost me hours to fix.

                  As I intimated in an earlier, lazier post pecked out on my iPhone, Applecare is a different matter entirely. I should think that software support for Apple's supplied products would be available. However, being one of those obnoxious males who hates to ask directions, I seldom make use of Applecare phone support (perhaps it should be otherwise). But since my old 8100.100, like 12 years ago ?, I've never failed to need Applecare. Apple's quality control, which used to be fabled, is not what is was then. Not ONE machine of the probably 6-8 I've owned since then has lasted the 3 years without major repair: logic board, screen on a laptop, name it. I wouldn't be without it, even though I wish things were different.

                  Will let you know Onion!

                  A reference, no doubt, to my obvious ap-peel. :)

                • Gordon Alley
                  Message 8 of 9 , Sep 12, 2009
                    Did you look in the Domain package file where iWeb keeps all the site data? On my iMac, the package is:
                    ~/Library/Application Support/iWeb/Domain. Just right-click it and select Show Package Contents.

                    It appears to contain all the image and movie files that I've posted on my site, along with a bunch of cryptically named files that probably only make sense to the iWeb app.

                    And if you are going to restore from backup, be sure to restore that file.

                    -Gordon

                    On Sat, Sep 12, 2009 at 1:22 PM, fabartist <fabartist@...> wrote:
                    It's all good!  ... I mean that anyone is looking at this group when at times there is nobody that can seem to solve the very annoying challenges that can come up with iWeb.

                    B --  I'm going to try and figure out where the damaged file is ... I only added two new ones yesterday when I was making changes and yet it tells me this very, very old image/ jpg is why I can't publish... which I previously fixed.

                    At this point, I don't think Apple Care is worth the expense as in the past they have told me this is beyond their scope.  Truthfully, I feel uhm, to put it bluntly, screwed no matter what because what was going to be a quick and easy change on the site will likely now cost me hours to fix.

                    My iWeb site was working sooooooooo well for soooooo long and I truly loved using it.  (Maybe "love" is too strong a word," but when these glitches come up, it really sours me ... and then I get more soured when I call Apple Care and they say this is beyond their scope or frankly don't know why this happened.

                    My only saving grace is we backed up files ... Have never worked with my backed up files, Time Machine, but I"m hoping if I open iWeb when it was last backed up and prior to this publishing error, that it will come up fine!

                    Will let you know Onion!
                    And like you said --- In iWeb-list@yahoogroups.com, Bobbo <bobbo924@...> wrote:

                    > You're quite right. My apologies to the list. I should have taken this
                    > privately to Colleen.
                    >
                    > On Sep 12, 2009, at 3:24AM ~9/12/09, Mike Rehbein wrote:
                    >
                    > > Too much onion for me to peel for the value.
                    > >
                    > > Bye.
                    > >

                    > > On Sep 11, 2009, at 5:53 PM, Bobbo wrote:
                    > >
                    > >> You've been iwebbed. I get "Publish Error." I get it from a
                    > >> formerly good site, whether I try to pubish to a folder or directly
                    > >> to the site via FTP. Informative as hell, huh? Really helps with
                    > >> the ole troubleshooting!
                    > >>
                    > >> (snip)
                    > >>

                    > Voice over site: http://www.bob-vo.com
                    > Art site: http://www.bobbogoldberg.com
                    > Empathic coaching: http://www.empathonline.com
                    > Coaching for actors: http://www.coach4actors.com

                    <*> Your email settings:
                       Individual Email | Traditional

                    <*> To change settings online go to:
                       (Yahoo! ID required)

                    <*> To change settings via email:
                       mailto:iWeb-list-digest@yahoogroups.com
                       mailto:iWeb-list-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                       http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                    --
                    Gordon B. Alley
                    http://www.gordonalley.com

                  • fabartist
                    Message 9 of 9 , Sep 14, 2009
                      The Domain file some how became corrupt... We / I still don't know how. But thank the "Lawd" for Time Machine!!!! Time Machine and a very, very nice Apple Care person helped me restore my Domain to the last time I backed it up... and what a lesson in making certain I have TIme Machine plugged in and always backing up!!!

                      I'm working on changes on my site today... each time I add even a tiny jpg, or image I test to see if I can upload and so far have not gotten a Publish Error message. I'll u/load and publish the desktop folder to my site after I've made all changes.

                      Have nooooo idea why Domain got corrupted today or a previous time... Apple doesn't know either ... but I'll make certain I'm backed up -- ALWAYS !!!! It was my saving grace.

                      Okay. I'm back to liking iWeb!

                      Collene

                      http://www.thevanitysite.com