Warning - serious damage to my site from iWeb

  • Bobbo
    Message 1 of 12 , May 8 11:02 PM
      iWeb 09 has completely mucked up my website. It splashes garbage where it wants to, and of course provides no feedback. I've flawlessly created several websites, and was just making the mistake of thinking Apple had at last done something right with its latest iCrapp, iWeb 09.

      In the meantime, unbeknownst to me, it has replaced my main URL, bob-vo.com's index page with the index page of another site!!! Why did it do this? Because Apple is mad at the world? Why should an index page go ANYWHERE BUT IN THE DAMNED FOLDER WHERE IT BELONGS? Yet another in a long, long string of Apple going for the razzle-dazzle and screwing up the basics. If you recall, OSX couldn't handle printer chores reliably until the 3rd release.

      Now, I have the joy of rebuilding my main site, which is the host for all my subdomains, because this stinking, seductive app cannot be trusted to do the most basic things right. It's the profile I've seen since the onset of OSX: Fill the air with bells and whistles, while crippling common sense with unpredictable behavior. I am OUTRAGED at such bugs foisted, version after version, on the trusting public. Move over Bill Gates. Steve Jobs' horns are every bit as long as yours.

      After a long day's work, not only will the resulting site not even transfer (either in iWeb or Dreamweaver, which keeps reporting timeouts despite my having changed the default) but my troubleshooting reveals that this stinking piece of garbage has overwritten index files OUTSIDE THE FILES I WAS WORKING ON! I hope this is clear. I have the primary domain, bob-vo.com. I then have folders within it, subdomains: bobbogoldberg.com and a few more. I use masking and forwarding to make this seamless for the visitor to any of the sites. But outside the subdomain folders, the bob-vo items (html pages, folders, images etc) are scattered about. It is the main folder.

      Please, all of you receiving this message, excuse the tone - I do; it's more than justified at this moment - and hear the content. iWeb, the "simple, accessible" Apple web program, cannot be trusted not to hose your entire site structure. And as I don't visit my bob-vo site very often, this must have happened some time ago, to be revealed only in this latest web transfer.

      What a crock of crap.

      I'm not even asking for help now. I've put up with Apple's "Dazzle them with brilliance while you take away the ground they walk on" long enough. I'm done.

      All the best,
      Bobbo

      Voice over site: http://www.bob-vo.com - NOW DESTROYED
      Art site: http://www.bobbogoldberg.com - CURRENTLY UNABLE TO UPLOAD
      Empathic coaching: http://www.empathonline.com
      Coaching for actors: http://www.coach4actors.com
      THESE LATTER TWO STILL SEEM TO BE WORKING.

    • Thomas Kwei
      Message 2 of 12 , May 9 3:43 AM
        I don't understand, I clicked on http://www.bob- vo.com.    It works fine.

        Message 3 of 12 , May 9 8:10 AM
          I, too, don't see any problem with http://www.bob-vo.com. It's a beautiful site.

          -Gordon

          --
          Gordon B. Alley
          http://www.gordonalley.com

        • Steven Rogers
          Message 4 of 12 , May 9 8:33 AM
            On May 9, 2009, at 5:43 AM, Thomas Kwei wrote:

            > I don't understand, I clicked on http://www.bob-vo.com It works
            > fine.

            I would imagine he means that the files on his computer have been
            mangled, and seeing that, he didn't push them out to the web site.

            SR
          • Bobbo
            Message 5 of 12 , May 9 8:38 AM
              Right, Thomas, and thanks. It's because I restored the proper index page and elements from the ONLINE backup in the www.folder of my site, an operation possible because I was using Dreamweaver.

              Message 6 of 12 , May 9 8:39 AM
                Thank you, Gordon. I'll pass that on to the designer. He's a minimalist, and quite good with frame-oriented sites.

                Message 7 of 12 , May 9 8:44 AM
                  No, the site had been mangled as well, because unbeknownst to me, iWeb had altered the main Index.html file of the host site. I've never purposely touched the main site with iWeb, only loading the subdomain folders. Until iWank 09, I did that using the ftp in Dreamweaver. With 09, supposedly, my life had gotten a lot simpler, since its built-in ftp client was supposed to upload only the changed files. That was until it took it upon itself to mess with a file (index.html) outside the folder/subdomain I was working on!

                  I did get a notice: "the file Index.html already exists on this site. Do you wish to overwrite it?" SIlly me, I thought this referred to the index.html file in the bobbogoldberg subfolder!

                  I stand by my conclusion: iWeb is unpredictable, gives you too little data on what's going on and can wreak havoc. Like most of the OSX iApps, it is NOT intuitive, and worse, its alerts can easily be misinterpreted. From now on I will only publish to a folder and upload in Dreamweaver, until I can make a transition away from this sinking ship.

                  Thanks to all for your interest and replies.

                  On May 9, 2009, at 11:33AM ~5/9/09, Steven Rogers wrote:

                  On May 9, 2009, at 5:43 AM, Thomas Kwei wrote:

                  > I don't understand, I clicked on http://www.bob- vo.com. It works
                  > fine.

                  I would imagine he means that the files on his computer have been
                  mangled, and seeing that, he didn't push them out to the web site.

                  SR

                • Mike Rehbein
                  Message 8 of 12 , May 9 12:43 PM
                    Which is why I am so ardent about backups....
                    Not one but three.
                    Sorry. I work in IT and have done myself in before, teaching myself this lesson and only hope others also learn from my mistakes :)

                    Message 9 of 12 , May 9 3:06 PM
                      Right. I'm playing with this idiot system's Time Machine. Problem is, it's this latest activity that caused me  to unknowingly back up a page from the main (bob-vo) site onto the server. Never happened before. It's only with this latest thing that everything has gone to feces and bacteria... and as a result, there's no telling how long ago my index.html file was corrupted! Last time I looked, a few days ago, all was well. With this last upload, things are finding their way into places that Edmund Hillary couldn't get to. My backups, near as I can tell, are also problematical, meaning this must have happened some time ago. But until yesterday, iWank kept its business within the folder I was working on.

                      When last I looked, bob -vo is now forwarding to the coach4actors site. This could make decaf nervous.

                      The mystery continues... one of the  most challenging being why I continue to use abusively unpredictable programs like iApps! Garage Band has its own quirks, like hideous conversion to smaller mp3 files. No other program has a problem with it. I guess it is true that you get what you pay for. However, I paid $2000 for a laptop that keeps socking it to me this way. Perhaps the solution is another operating system?

                      Message 10 of 12 , May 9 3:48 PM
                        The angst is real but it will not assist with troubleshooting.

                        What I do when Word for instance, trashes a large document is to go back far enough that though work is lost, it is possible to add it back in. This can be less time consuming that spending time to navigate the course that is more like a minefield than a solution.

                        It does help that the changes are known and can be added back to a stable file set.
                        It is more tragic when changes are lost and need to be created from scratch.

                        I use two back up methods, one is Synchronize Pro X and the other is Time Machine.

                        What I do when working a project is close out, save it, make a copy and move forward from there.

                        The intent is to have a point in time to recover to. Of course at work, I have a file server to save to, it is backed up nightly and I can request a recovery to a date in time or several dates in time.

                        At home I keep the three sets of backups which do not take up much time, I'm lazy and backing up has to be painless or I won't do it.

                        If it helps any, I can relate that each OS, each software product and each support system has lots of gotchas. The best is to not let it get to you, discover what you can about it, document it, help others through it and move forward. It's IT, it starts with the best of intentions, uses mostly logic and then cascades through random activity at times to troubleshoot it (blind luck).

                        What I've found is for items which are not clearly repeatable, is is not worth the time to track down the cause. I cut my losses (in time and files), step back and take a clean starting point to continue from.

                        Any way, I guess my thoughts are it will be difficult to clean off the boots as long as one is still standing in the mud.

                        The purpose of one set of backups is to recover from the loss of a drive and get back up quickly.

                        The other is historical (data files) such that to be able to return to a near or distant point in time. These I make from the process of closing out, saving, making a copy of that saved point to begin work on again. Deciding when to do so is based on how many hours I've put into the project, not a regular time because I may not have done anything with the project for a week and then I may have worked 8 hours in one day, so I will back up 3 times in the one day and not until the next time I do work.
                        The drives I use for the project are the drives which have been retired from the full back up to recover from. So when I go from a 160 GB internal to a 320 GB internal, the 160 MB backup drive is no longer needed and becomes the project back up drive. The run time on the back up drives is very minimal so service life is good and yes, they operate in pairs. Hate to purchase them but cheaper than pulling my hair out when I mess up or a problem occurs (self inflicted or otherwise).

                        Best wishes and hope you get it sorted out and can avoid further complications.

                        Message 11 of 12 , May 9 4:58 PM
                          Thanks, Mike, for the ideas, the pep talk, the sound advice. Much appreciated. I'm still not seeing forwarding work right, had to replace the bob-vo index.html file again from a backup, and have seen the main site forwarded for no apparent reason to one of the subdomains. Like I said, earth is in retrograde. Time for a dinner break. Pounding the mud off my boots. Thanks.

                          Message 12 of 12 , May 9 10:22 PM
                            This is just a wonderful description of the process. It should be quoted in any textbook to let us know that, when we enter the dark jungle, we're not alone. :-)

                            Voice over site: http://www.bob-vo.com -NOW WORKING AGAIN
                            Art site: http://www.bobbogoldberg.com - NOW WORKING AGAIN AFTER MANY HOURS AND INCOMPREHENSIBLE ILLOGIC