Total perplexity

  • Bobbo
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 8, 2009
       In an age where appearances and reality so seldom match, the iApp is, to me, the icon of an era.

      iWeb seduces with its simplicity and amazing efficiency, and then confounds with odd behavior and progress-halting peculiarities.

      1) I have a site called coach4actors.com. It's designed and maintained in iWeb. It insists that the site is called Coach4Actors.com, mixed case. If I double-click the site title in the sidebar and type it with the all-lower-case I desire, when I click Enter to confirm or click off it, it returns to its upper-lower case status. ???

      2) I entered a blog title for an entry. I should have known better, as it had an exclamation point and other typographical liberties. So when I tried to upload it, of course the transfer choked and notified me of a problem. I went back into iWeb and changed the title of that entry to something more conservative. I published to a folder. In the folder, the entry still has the old title. W T bloomin' F???

      I've gotten mostly pretty comfortable with iWeb, accepting and working within its limitations in exchange for the amazing convenience and rapidity with which a site can be developed, and a few rather nice, usable templates. But when a save is not a save, when I lose control over filenames because the procedure is buried in some counterintuitive procedure, I'm glad lists like this are here to suggest what arcane point I may be missing.

      ANY suggestions here will be greatly appreciated.

      Bobbo

    • fabartist
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 9, 2009
        Your site looks good, very clean, very simple, but with a nice twist. I didn't know the template you used existed because I tend to use the "white" pages/ templates and design inside of them.

        I could not see your problem with text ... but I know that it exists because I publish to a desktop folder and then u/lo via Transmit.

        Can't tell you how many times I open the html for a given page to get rid of what are called "text orphans" and other weird symbols.

        Way back when I wrote my site in HTML code, so while iWeb is a million times easier and like you said way more convenient, one is ahead of the game if they have a bit of HTML knowledge.

        PS... the first link/ line in your blog links to a non-page.

        Collene

        http://thevanitysite.com

        --- In iWeb-list@yahoogroups.com, Bobbo <bobbo924@...> wrote:

        > In an age where appearances and reality so seldom match, the iApp
        > is, to me, the icon of an era.
        >
        > iWeb seduces with its simplicity and amazing efficiency, and then
        > confounds with odd behavior and progress-halting peculiarities.
        >
        > 1) I have a site called coach4actors.com. It's designed and maintained
        > in iWeb. It insists that the site is called Coach4Actors.com, mixed
        > case. If I double-click the site title in the sidebar and type it with
        > the all-lower-case I desire, when I click Enter to confirm or click
        > off it, it returns to its upper-lower case status. ???
        >
        > 2) I entered a blog title for an entry. I should have known better, as
        > it had an exclamation point and other typographical liberties. So when
        > I tried to upload it, of course the transfer choked and notified me of
        > a problem. I went back into iWeb and changed the title of that entry
        > to something more conservative. I published to a folder. In the
        > folder, the entry still has the old title. W T bloomin' F???
        >
        > I've gotten mostly pretty comfortable with iWeb, accepting and working
        > within its limitations in exchange for the amazing convenience and
        > rapidity with which a site can be developed, and a few rather nice,
        > usable templates. But when a save is not a save, when I lose control
        > over filenames because the procedure is buried in some
        > counterintuitive procedure, I'm glad lists like this are here to
        > suggest what arcane point I may be missing.
        >
        > ANY suggestions here will be greatly appreciated.
        >

        > Bobbo
        >

        > Voice over site: http://www.bob-vo.com
        > Art site: http://www.bobbogoldberg.com
        > Empathic coaching: http://www.empathonline.com
        > Coaching for actors: http://www.coach4actors.com

      • Bobbo
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 9, 2009
          Thanks, Collene. Yes, the dead link is still, after numerous changes and saves, looking for a blog page titled with the previous, wrong title. I'll have to delete and recreate the blog entry, then republish to a folder and u'l  again. Your site is delightful! Great, happy spirit. Thanks for writing.
          Bobbo

          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 10, 2009
            When you make changes do you u/l individual pages?

            That's what I do because of these dang "text orhpans!" That's what they call them in the Apple store! I either open the html document or I view source, select all and copy and paste in a Word doc. I make my changes and save as Text only and then, replace txt with html.

            I then u/l the individual page(s).

            Annoying? Yes. But still so much more quick than creating web site in html as I did years ago.

            Hope this helps.

            http://thevanitsite.com

            PS. Thanks for the nice words about my site... it's very "branded" for what I do.

            Message 5 of 6 , Mar 10, 2009

              Message 6 of 6 , Mar 10, 2009
                I do u/l individual pages, or sets of pages. I've not experienced the "text orphans" you describe since an earlier version of iWeb, and I don't even remember how I solved the problem. I think some characters were creating artifacts. Retyping that part of the text block seemed to help.

                My problems seem more structural, maybe true bugs. One example was the inability to retype the site name itself using lowercase. Another was that changing the title of a blog page, both on the page and even in the Entries list, failed to change it in the site links. It would always use the first name I'd given it. The workaround, a real PITA at times, is to delete the entire blog entry and re-create it, using the new name. Obviously, I'm not going to do that with the entire site.

                The iApps have set themselves quite a task: to be simple and versatile. Any study of iWeb reveals that, while it's amazingly fast and efficient, it's not intuitive once you really get into it. And it's highly limited. Is there, for instance, a way to get unique text on pages showing individual works of art? If you go to bobbogoldberg.com and make your way to the Nature Photopaintings, you see I've made a small comment on each one. You can do that in iWeb, of course, but it's pretty much the same procedure as in Dreamweaver; you have to make a individual page for each work, create links to the next page with arrows, etc.

                It's a cool program that makes it possible for "the rest of us" (whomever that is, these days) to build a website quickly and without going through much design work. And, like iPhoto and iMovie, it's really cheap, or free with a new Mac. It's those dang idiosyncrasies like the ones described above that make it so difficult to use. Any ideas on those structural (apparent) defects? Anyone else finding these, or ways to work around them without recreating the offending page?

                Thanks,
                Bobbo