Easy Iweb publisher...

  • fabartist
    Message 1 of 11 , Feb 24, 2009
      A'kay it's a long shot hoping for an answer because there are rarely new posts on this
      group... but here goes... Has anyone used Easy iWeb publisher for u/loading files for
      iWebsite?

      I use Transmit and I find that these weird characters keep appearing... which I then fix with
      re-working the html code... but it's annoying! I might have an old version of Transmit and
      maybe that's part of the problem in working with iLife 09?

      But I've used it for so long, I'm sort of nervous to try anything new ... so any feedback out
      there on Easy iWeb Publisher?

      Collene

      http://thevanitysite.com
    • Barbara Blandford Helm
      Message 2 of 11 , Feb 24, 2009
        Collene,

        I cannot be of any help but I just wanted you to know we are out here and listening :)

        Barbara

        On Feb 24, 2009, at 10:26 AM, fabartist wrote:

        A'kay it's a long shot hoping for an answer because there are rarely new posts on this
        group... but here goes... Has anyone used Easy iWeb publisher for u/loading files for
        iWebsite?

        I use Transmit and I find that these weird characters keep appearing... which I then fix with
        re-working the html code... but it's annoying!  I might have an old version of Transmit and
        maybe that's part of the problem in working with iLife 09?

        But I've used it for so long, I'm sort of nervous to try anything new ... so any feedback out
        there on Easy iWeb Publisher?

        Collene

        http://thevanitysite.com

        <*> Your email settings:
           Individual Email | Traditional

        <*> To change settings online go to:
           (Yahoo! ID required)

        <*> To change settings via email:
           mailto:iWeb-list-digest@yahoogroups.com
           mailto:iWeb-list-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

           http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      • Karen Green
        Message 3 of 11 , Feb 24, 2009
          Yes - Easy iWeb publisher is great! I have many of my teachers using it also, great success.

          > A'kay it's a long shot hoping for an answer because
          > there are rarely new posts on this
          > group... but here goes... Has anyone used Easy iWeb
          > publisher for u/loading files for
          > iWebsite?
          >
          > I use Transmit and I find that these weird characters keep
          > appearing... which I then fix with
          > re-working the html code... but it's annoying! I might
          > have an old version of Transmit and
          > maybe that's part of the problem in working with iLife
          > 09?
          >
          > But I've used it for so long, I'm sort of nervous
          > to try anything new ... so any feedback out
          > there on Easy iWeb Publisher?
          >
          > Collene
          >
          > http://thevanitysite.com
        • Budd
          Message 4 of 11 , Feb 24, 2009
            FWIW: I use Multisite for iWeb. It enables me to publish multiple sites from different Macs.
            Once the correct FTP information is entered, it's just a click and done.
          • fabartist
            Message 5 of 11 , Feb 24, 2009
              A'kay, I'm going to try it... and nice to know I wasn't out here alllll alone in the iWeb group!

              --- In iWeb-list@yahoogroups.com, "Budd" <n7eoj@...> wrote:

              > FWIW: I use Multisite for iWeb. It enables me to publish multiple sites from different Macs.
              > Once the correct FTP information is entered, it's just a click and done.

            • Bobbo
              Message 6 of 11 , Feb 25, 2009
                WARNING, WILL ROBINSON! EXTREME DANGER!!!!

                I downloaded Multisite, and opened it up to take a look. I did nothing, saved nothing, played with nothing, only looked at the main page and the help file, then quit.

                Today, I opened iWeb... AND IT'S BLANK! No sites at all. Nothing. I can only surmise that this thing jumped into iWeb and did something to it. I have a full backup, but do NOT download or open this thing unless you have likewise.

                Bobbo

                Message 7 of 11 , Feb 25, 2009
                  OK, all restored and, in a calmer moment, I read what passes for the TFManual in Multisite, a two-paragraph pdf. It acknowledges that it takes the original domains file from Username/Application Support/iWeb and moves it to the documents folder with a new name. No reference to how to get things back to default if that's what you want.

                  I may be reactionary here, but I don't believe anything on a computer should do any dang thing until I tell it to proceed. If a program diverges from this, uh, conservative approach, then the website should darn well tell you so. It's easy.

                  NOTE TO DOWNLOADERS:
                  Multisite will, upon launch, change your Domains file. Don't launch the booger unless you're OK with that. If it turns out that this TRIAL is not to your liking, don't worry, your iWeb archive and months or years of work didn't disappear. You can get them back by... (insert instructions here). Instead, the provider offers a site that is almost devoid of information, allowing you to buy or download.

                  I just want to emphasize the warning here. Frankly, since OSX came online, I've seen a lot of what John Hammond, in "Jurassic Park," refers to as "a deplorable excess of personality." This sounded like a really useful complement to iWeb, solving problems I've already encountered. Well, thank heaven for backups! I feel Multisite really overstepped the boundaries of good software protocol. An old fashioned SOB, I prefer to make the decisions for when important things happen on my computer.

                  Enough said.

                  Bobbo

                  On Feb 25, 2009, at 7:18PM ~2/25/09, Bobbo wrote:

                  WARNING, WILL ROBINSON! EXTREME DANGER!!!!

                  I downloaded Multisite, and opened it up to take a look. I did nothing, saved nothing, played with nothing, only looked at the main page and the help file, then quit.

                  Today, I opened iWeb... AND IT'S BLANK! No sites at all. Nothing. I can only surmise that this thing jumped into iWeb and did something to it. I have a full backup, but do NOT download or open this thing unless you have likewise.

                  Bobbo

                  On Feb 24, 2009, at 2:10PM ~2/24/09, Budd wrote:

                  FWIW: I use Multisite for iWeb. It enables me to publish multiple sites from different Macs.
                  Once the correct FTP information is entered, it's just a click and done.

                • Gordon Alley
                  Message 8 of 11 , Feb 25, 2009
                    I haven't used Multisite, but I'm guessing it does its thing by renaming the active iWeb file and creating a new iWeb file with a new site. To switch sites, it probably renames the current iWeb file and then renames the target iWeb file with the standard name. It may have renamed your iWeb file so that iWeb didn't see it anymore.

                    -Gordon

                    --
                    Gordon B. Alley
                    http://www.gordonalley.com

                  • Bobbo
                    Message 9 of 11 , Feb 25, 2009
                      FAQs are helpful. Warnings of unexpected, potentially disorienting behavior, seldom. Sarcasm and superciliousness, never.

                      I stand by the warning I issued to other, hasty, uninterested people like myself.

                      I will agree with you on this one point: the developers are extremely kind and responsive. They were able to reply to me, quite promptly in fact, and without any attempt at belittlement. Since you admire them, perhaps you can learn to follow their good example.

                      On Feb 25, 2009, at 11:35PM ~2/25/09, Budd wrote:

                      Bobbo:
                      Sorry you didn't bother to read any of the documentation explaining how Multisite works or asked the extremely responsive and helpful developer before you screamed "The Sky is Falling."

                      Although it's already been made clear you will not read the following explanation from their website, I thought I would pass it along to all of those that might be interested.

                      What follows is Clarkwood's prominently displayed online FAQ on how their product works and what it does with iWeb sites:

                      "Multisite does move the Domain file out of ~/Library/Applicati on Support/iWeb/ and stores it (and any others you’ll create in the future with Multisite) inside a single document to make things simple. If you’re curious there’s more read below.
                      When you pick a site in the main window of Multisite you can always choose the “Export” option to save a copy of it. You can also use drag and drop for this if you prefer.
                      If you later decide you don’t want to use Multisite any longer there’s a feature “Stop Using Multisite” that will put all the Domain file(s) back to the standard location.
                      You don’t need to understand how data is stored to use Multisite. However, occasionally it can be helpful to know what’s going on behind the scenes. At a nuts and bolts level Multisite stores the sites in your Documents folder in a package (which is a fancy folder that looks like a file) called “Multisite for iWeb Data.mfi.”
                      Inside the package there is a folder called “sites” and within that is a folder with the name of each site you have managed. In each of those folders is a single “Domain” file that iWeb uses when it’s editing that site."

                      --- On Wed, 2/25/09, Bobbo <bobbo924@earthlink. net> wrote:
                      > WARNING, WILL ROBINSON! EXTREME DANGER!!!!
                      > I downloaded Multisite, and opened it up to take
                      > a look. I did nothing, saved nothing, played with nothing,
                      > only looked at the main page and the help file, then
                      > quit.
                      > Today, I opened iWeb... AND IT'S BLANK! No
                      > sites at all. Nothing. I can only surmise that this thing
                      > jumped into iWeb and did something to it. I have a full
                      > backup, but do NOT download or open this thing unless you
                      > have likewise.
                      > Bobbo
                      >

                      > On Feb 24, 2009, at 2:10PM ~2/24/09, Budd
                      > wrote:
                      > FWIW:
                      > I use Multisite for iWeb. It enables me to publish multiple
                      > sites from different Macs.
                      > Once the correct FTP information
                      > is entered, it's just a click and done.
                      >

                      > Voice
                      > over site: http://www.bob- vo.comArt
                      > site: http://www.bobbogol dberg.comEmpathi c
                      > coaching: http://www.empathon line.comCoaching
                      > for actors: http://www.coach4ac tors.com

                    • Budd
                      Message 10 of 11 , Feb 25, 2009
                        My apologies to Bobbo & other readers.
                        I inadvertently broke my own long standing rule to not send an emotional email until I've
                        reread it the next day.
                        Again, my apologies.
                      • Bobbo