Published iWeb w/o photos

  • Barbara
    Message 1 of 13 , Jul 7 10:49 AM
      I am having major trouble with my site since I became a Leopard. Both
      MACers and PCers cannot view the site and, if they can, they see only
      the text and none of the photos. What the dickens is going on?

      BTW: Some MACers and some PCers have no trouble.

      Barbara
    • Gordon Alley
      Message 2 of 13 , Jul 7 11:33 AM
        It might help if you give us the link to your web site so we can look. I looked at your web site at
        http://homepage.mac.com/BarbHelm
        but I guess that's an old one. Where do I look for the iWeb-generated site?

        -Gordon

        --
        Gordon B. Alley
        http://www.gordonalley.com
        Message 3 of 13 , Jul 7 11:55 AM
          >I am having major trouble with my site since I became a Leopard. Both
          >MACers and PCers cannot view the site and, if they can, they see only
          >the text and none of the photos. What the dickens is going on?
          >
          >BTW: Some MACers and some PCers have no trouble.
          >
          >Barbara

          When I upgraded from iLife 06 to 08, I found that visitors using
          Mac's own OSX3.9 and Safari wouldn't be able to see the pictures. I
          had to post instructions on the website about this outrageous state
          of affairs. PC users, and those using Panther had no problems, nor
          did 3.9'ers using Firefox. You can view the sites here:

          http://amichiart.com
          http://donnarhodes.com
          http://bob-vo.com/Redenta

          Truthfully, I know very few people who are still running 3.9, so I
          have no idea if later updates fixed the issue or not, but I seem to
          recall someone on 3.9 who was able to view the sites in Safari.

          I have real issues with Apple's recent forced upgrades (if you want
          to take advantage of newer features). The "forced" part emerges when
          older features, even standard, sine-qua-non features like uh,
          pictures on a picture page, no longer work.

          Bobbo
          --
          Artwork and portraiture: http://www.bobbogoldberg.com
          Voice over, narration and audio production: http://www.bob-vo.com
          Message 4 of 13 , Jul 7 12:51 PM
            --- In iWeb-list@yahoogroups.com, Bobbo <bobbo924@...> wrote:
            <SNIP>
            >...You can view the sites here:
            >
            > http://amichiart.com
            > http://donnarhodes.com
            > http://bob-vo.com/Redenta
            <snip>

            > Bobbo

            Beautiful and everything worked for my
            10.5.4, using Safari 3.1.2
          • Bobbo
            Message 5 of 13 , Jul 7 12:58 PM
              [iWeb-list] Re: Published iWeb w/o photos
              --- In iWeb-list@yahoogroups.com , Bobbo <bobbo924@...> wrote:
              <SNIP>
              >...You can view the sites here:
              >
              > http://amichiart.com
              > http://donnarhodes.com
              > http://bob-vo.com/Redenta
              <snip>

              > Bobbo

              Beautiful and everything worked for my
              10.5.4, using Safari 3.1.2

              Thanks, Budd. Good to know. I guess the next thing is for people using iWeb with 10.5.n to point us at some of their sites, so we can report back on compatibility issues. I'm still on 10.4.11.

              Bobbo
              --

              Artwork and portraiture: http://www.bobbogoldberg.com
              Voice over, narration and audio production: http://www.bob-vo.com
              And don't forget to do good works for free at http://www.thehungersite.com
            • Shirley Kehr
              Message 6 of 13 , Jul 7 1:04 PM
                Is it possible for the people using 10.3 to upgrade Safari? I noticed
                a suggestion to use Firefox, but was wondering about just using a
                later version of Safari too. All 3 sites worked fine for me too (on
                Leopard).

                Shirley

                On Jul 7, 2008, at 3:58 PM, Bobbo wrote:

                > I guess the next thing is for people using iWeb with 10.5.n to point
                > us at some of their sites, so we can report back on compatibility
                > issues. I'm still on 10.4.11
              • Shirley Kehr
                Message 7 of 13 , Jul 7 1:06 PM
                  Just thought of something else. Maybe people aren't waiting long
                  enough for the photos to load. On an older computer with a slow
                  connection, it might take a lot longer than they would think.

                  Shirley

                  On Jul 7, 2008, at 4:04 PM, Shirley Kehr wrote:

                  > All 3 sites worked fine for me too (on
                  > Leopard).
                • Mike Rehbein
                  Message 8 of 13 , Jul 7 3:06 PM
                    And the web is fairly generic in nature. To be quick to assume Apple is forcing 10.3 users to upgrade could be somewhat over the top :)

                    I'd guess it was an unintentional software oversight and probably been fixed already.

                    I've had great luck reporting software glitches to Apple and have received responses to a few. Not something I was expecting, especially when it is stated up front, that you are not going to get a response.

                    Not being forced to upgrade as soon as PC users are forced, is one of the nicer things about using an Apple product.

                    To know if the problem still exists, do you know of someone who had the problem originally so you can have them test again?
                    And see if they have updated to the latest version of the software they have, not upgraded, updated, there is a difference :)

                    Thanks,

                    Mike

                    On Jul 7, 2008, at 2:58 PM, Bobbo wrote:

                    --- In iWeb-list@yahoogrou ps.com, Bobbo <bobbo924@...> wrote:
                    <SNIP>
                    >...You can view the sites here:
                    >
                    > http://amichiart. com
                    > http://donnarhodes. com
                    > http://bob-vo. com/Redenta
                    <snip>

                    Message 9 of 13 , Jul 7 3:41 PM
                      Re: [iWeb-list] Re: Published iWeb w/o photos
                      And the web is fairly generic in nature. To be quick to assume Apple is forcing 10.3 users to upgrade could be somewhat over the top :)

                      The web is highly forgiving but hardly generic. iWeb provides incredible ease in building what would be complex websites, but does so in a complex, quite un-generic way. If you doubt that, create a website in iWeb and then open it in something like Dreamweaver. Highly inadvisable to do any mods this way.

                      I'd guess it was an unintentional software oversight and probably been fixed already.

                      Well, I think you're a nice fellow, Mike, and I'm truly not trying to be accusatory here, but unintentional oversight? Mike, this was a problem, reported by numerous testers, in viewing an Apple-app generated website, using an Apple browser operating under an Apple system. Again, no controversy intended, but can you imagine that Apple didn't test with previous versions of their own software? In fact, Apple has been obsoleting compatibiity with older software at a remarkable rate. This would be highly frustrating but more understandable if it happened with some third-party software, but it's incomprehensible within Apple's own "family" of apps.

                      I've had great luck reporting software glitches to Apple and have received responses to a few. Not something I was expecting, especially when it is stated up front, that you are not going to get a response.

                      And a good example, well worth a try.

                      Not being forced to upgrade as soon as PC users are forced, is one of the nicer things about using an Apple product.

                      Not sure what you mean here. I don't use a PC myself but, of course, have friends that do. Some have upgraded to Vista, some have stayed with XP. The latter is no longer being manufactured, but will be fully supported still for another year. I never heard of an update to XP making older XP-compatible programs unusable. I purchased iWork 08 only to learn it required OSX 4.10 or later. At the time, due to some audio glitches, I was still using .9, and was able to keep using my older iWork 06. Recently, .Mac users were notified that even some of the older features, the basics, would no longer work in Panther, and required Tiger. Unfair and, in my opinion, a strongarm tactic. Apple, in order to provide the user simplicity it advertises (and, also IMO hasn't provided since 9.2.2, when things quit being "intuitive" and moved toward Unix propellerhead-ism), maintains tight control of the hardware/software relationship. And yes, some of it is coercive.

                      To know if the problem still exists, do you know of someone who had the problem originally so you can have them test again?

                      As I mentioned, I seem to recall that an update fixed the problem. Good on you, Apple, for solving the problem - and bad on you for having released it with such a blatant incompatibility with your own software in the first place.

                      And see if they have updated to the latest version of the software they have, not upgraded, updated, there is a difference :)

                      The ones I've spoken to since had upgraded to 10.4. If anyone is still using 3.9 and could take a moment to visit the below sites, it'd be appreciated. The problem was, as the original poster reported, with pictures not appearing.
                      Best,
                      Bobbo
                      http://amichiart.com
                      http://donnarhodes.com
                      http://bob-vo.com/Redenta

                      Message 10 of 13 , Jul 7 3:49 PM
                        Oh good point, especially over dial-up. The Mac web pages are a bit of a bandwidth hog :)

                        And or .Mac does not serve the data quickly.

                        Mike

                        On Jul 7, 2008, at 3:06 PM, Shirley Kehr wrote:

                        Just thought of something else. Maybe people aren't waiting long
                        enough for the photos to load. On an older computer with a slow
                        connection, it might take a lot longer than they would think.

                        Shirley

                        On Jul 7, 2008, at 4:04 PM, Shirley Kehr wrote:

                        > All 3 sites worked fine for me too (on
                        > Leopard).

                      • Barbara Blandford Helm

                          Message 12 of 13 , Jul 7 7:06 PM
                            Re: [iWeb-list] Published iWeb w/o photos
                            All OK here, OSX4.11, Safari 3.1.1 (4525.18)

                            Bobbo

                            Gordon,

                            http://web.mac.com/barbhelm/2008/Jun_08.html

                            Barbara

                            Message 13 of 13 , Jul 8 6:45 AM
                              Ah ha!  It seems Firefox 3 has trouble with iWeb.  Use any other browser and the site opens easily.  Thanks, everyone.  I have so noted on the site.

                              Barbara

                              On Jul 7, 2008, at 10:06 PM, Bobbo wrote:

                              All OK here, OSX4.11, Safari 3.1.1 (4525.18)

                              Bobbo

                              Gordon,

                              <http://web.mac.com/barbhelm/2008/Jun_08.html>http://web.mac.com/barbhelm/2008/Jun_08.html

                              Barbara