Audio Link Help?

  • Al Bigley
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 3, 2008
      Guys-

      Hi!

      Some folks say the link below either loads fine, or will not load at
      all! Is this a Mac vs PC thing? It's a "Real Player" audio file
      created in iWeb...

      Help!

      Thank you!

      Al Bigley

      http://www.albigley.com/Podcast/5FE39253-C059-428E-B590-
      ABEFF4311FA4.html
    • Shirley Kehr

        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 3, 2008
          If someone clicks the link as-is, it is broken in that Yahoo line wrapped the link so that only a part of the link is active.
          If someone copies the entire link, it would work and if not, it won't.
          You can use http://www.tinyurl.com to create links that are so short, they won't be line wrapped.

          This, assuming it is only a link problem, not a problem with the content being loaded.
          Just looking at one possibility.

          Mike

          On Apr 3, 2008, at 7:50 AM, Al Bigley wrote:

          Guys-

          Hi!

          Some folks say the link below either loads fine, or will not load at
          all! Is this a Mac vs PC thing? It's a "Real Player" audio file
          created in iWeb...

          Help!

          Thank you!

          Al Bigley

          http://www.albigley .com/Podcast/ 5FE39253- C059-428E- B590-
          ABEFF4311FA4. html

        • Gordon Alley
          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 3, 2008
            I'm reading the message in Gmail on a MacBook. If I click on the first line of the broken link, highlighted in blue, just that portion is seen as a URL link, and it fails. If I copy both lines together to the clipboard, and then paste it into the Safari address bar, the entire URL appears (with no line break character), and the link works just fine.

            Here's a repaired version of the link which works for me.
            http://www.albigley.com/Podcast/5FE39253-C059-428E-B590-ABEFF4311FA4.html

            -Gordon

            --
            Gordon B. Alley
            http://www.gordonalley.com
            Message 5 of 6 , Apr 3, 2008
              You can "repair" a line broken link only to have the email client used by the receiver, break it again.
              That's the problem with the wide range of "standards" out there. You as the sender do not have control of how the content of the email body will be parsed by each of the many email clients in use.

              That is why I suggested using Tiny URL, the URL can be made so short that it will not need to be broken in length by an email client.

              Here is an example. The "repaired" URL I see in Mail, using my Mac and 10.5 and the latest version of Mail, displays the URL as blue but the URL is not clickable.
              So, once again, the fix does not work for all, to resend it.

              There will always be new users to the web.
              Here is yet another variant which occurs for some, not all email clients.
              Copying and pasting a line broken URL can introduce a %20 for a hidden space in the body of the email message.

              As long as the end user knows to do two things, to copy and paste the entire URL and to remove any %20 which may occur in the URL when shown in the browser URL field, then the URL will load.

              To avoid causing inexperienced users a problem, the sender can take the extra steps of using a shorter URL for those super long URL that are sometimes generated.

              From the Tiny URL web site, you can add a button to the broswer which is  a script which when clicked, simply loads the Tiny URL for copy and paste into a document with one click.

              Here is an example of the current URL being passed around which is not all that long but long enough to be line broken for some, not all, for some email clients.

              Here is an example of a Google map URL which is nice to be able to send when you are giving directions.

              or

              Pretty spiffy and painless.
              Makes it easy for use in email or on web page.

              Regards,

              Mike