iWeb file location and multiple sites

  • steven_austin_rogers
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 12, 2006
      Has anyone experimented with the iWeb file to see if its possible to swap them out to have
      multiple sites, kind of like we used to swap out iPhoto files to have multiple albums?

      I found what appears to be iWeb's working file in user/Library/Application Support/iWeb
      There is a package inside, and if you "show package contents", you can see your site assets
      inside. I haven't tried swapping out files to see if I can create multiple independent sites, but
      it seems like it would be possible.

      SR
    • Shirley Kehr
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 13, 2006
        No, but thanks for the info about where the files are :-) I have to
        give a demo on this in a few weeks and haven't started using it yet.
        Any tips will be appreciated. If the files are in a package, I guess
        you have to break them out of that package to send them to any server
        other than dot-mac? (One of the user group members has already asked me
        to cover getting it on their existing web site.)

        Shirley

        On Feb 12, 2006, at 9:12 PM, steven_austin_rogers wrote:

        > Has anyone experimented with the iWeb file to see if its possible to
        > swap them out to have
        > multiple sites, kind of like we used to swap out iPhoto files to have
        > multiple albums?
        >
        > I found what appears to be iWeb's working file in
        > user/Library/Application Support/iWeb
        > There is a package inside, and if you "show package contents", you can
        > see your site assets
        > inside. I haven't tried swapping out files to see if I can create
        > multiple independent sites, but
        > it seems like it would be possible.
        >
        > SR
        >

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Gordon Alley
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 13, 2006
          Can't you just tell it to export the site to a folder instead of
          uploading it to mac.com?

          --Gordon

          --
          Gordon B. Alley
          http://galley.home.texas.net
          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 14, 2006
            On Feb 13, 2006, at 10:28 PM, Gordon Alley wrote:

            > Can't you just tell it to export the site to a folder instead of
            > uploading it to mac.com?

            Yes, but that only solves the problem halfway. iWeb seems to be based
            on the same idea of site structure that the old on-line dotMac site
            author had - a main page that's a sort of Table of Contents that
            points to pages that are like little "mini sites" containing movies,
            photo albums, and such. That is probably by design - if you know the
            old online tool, iWeb is built on the same concept.

            Each page has its own navigation (like a preview or a slide show).
            You can add and delete pages, but there really isn't a concept of
            separate sites. However, the pages are really completely stand-alone
            sites that contain all their own assets, so you can export your site
            to a folder, and then pull out what you want from that to manually
            upload where you want it. The only down-side is that there is no
            "update" only publish, so it re-generates everything in the whole
            site whenever you publish. That can take a while if you have several
            pages, so I think more advanced users are going to want to figure
            out a way to manage that behavior.

            Generally, I like it for fast sites. I've already used it to generate
            a "proofs" page for stuff coming out of photoshop instead of using
            Photoshop's built in proof page generator. The iWeb page just looks
            *really* good, and once you have the content in iPhoto, its super
            easy to set up (just go to "last roll" in the media browser).

            I have a site built with Adobe GoLive on my DotMac site, so I've
            never "published" a page out of iWeb to DotMac because I'm not sure
            exactly where it will go. I'm assuming it would blow away my existing
            index page, but I've never tried it.

            SR