Scottish / Irish Bagpipes - Shankar Jaikishan (Gumnaam)

  • sambodh kaul
    Message 1 of 3 , May 1, 2008
      Hello Everybody

      I was watching the movie "Gumnaam" yesterday (starring Nanada &
      Manoj Kumar). There is a song in the movie "Is Duniya Mein Jeena Ho
      To Sun Lo..." (performed by Helen). In this song, after the Mukhda
      (introductory verse) comes to an end, Shankar Jaikishan has played
      BAGPIPES. I have heard this bagpipe tune in many Army Functions in
      India also. They sound like Irish / Scottish Bagpipes. Does anyone
      have any idea about this "piece of music" used by Shankar -
      Jaikishan. If yes, please let me know the name of the "original
      song" from where this bagpipe music has been copied.

      You can also email me at:

      sambodhkaul@...

      Please do reply to this mail !!!

      Thanks & Have A Nice Day !!!!!
      Sambodh
    • Jamshid
      Message 2 of 3 , May 2, 2008
        Yup !

        You are right ... I have also heard the same tune in military bands
        on bagpipes ... too bad I dont know the original but I bet someone
        does!

        Shankar Jaikishan also copied another song of the same movie from
        Henry Mancini's theme for movie Charade (source: itwofs), so its
        quite possible they borrowed for another song of the same movie.

        I wonder perhaps its due to the large number of songs a composer has
        to compose for hindi movies in such a short time. Creativity demands
        time and when schedules are tight, one has to resort to inspirations.

        I guess Shankar jaikishan got a short notice to compose Gumnaam's
        songs and we are seeing the results.

        Cheers.

        Jamshid Mahmood.

        --- In i2fs@yahoogroups.com, "sambodh kaul" <sambodhkaul@...> wrote:

        > Hello Everybody
        >
        > I was watching the movie "Gumnaam" yesterday (starring Nanada &
        > Manoj Kumar). There is a song in the movie "Is Duniya Mein Jeena
        Ho
        > To Sun Lo..." (performed by Helen). In this song, after the Mukhda
        > (introductory verse) comes to an end, Shankar Jaikishan has played
        > BAGPIPES. I have heard this bagpipe tune in many Army Functions in
        > India also. They sound like Irish / Scottish Bagpipes. Does anyone
        > have any idea about this "piece of music" used by Shankar -
        > Jaikishan. If yes, please let me know the name of the "original
        > song" from where this bagpipe music has been copied.
        >
        > You can also email me at:
        >
        > sambodhkaul@...
        >
        > Please do reply to this mail !!!
        >
        > Thanks & Have A Nice Day !!!!!
        > Sambodh

      • Sambodh Kaul
        Message 3 of 3 , May 5, 2008
          Hello Jamshid

          I have seen the movie "Charade" many times. The bagpipe tune
          is never played anywhere in the movie. Only the "Gumnaam Hai Koi" tune
          was being repeated through out the movie. This tune sounds so Scottish / Irish
          that it is hard to believe that Shankar Jaikishan could have made this tune on their own.

          Any additional info relating to the tune would be most welcome.

          Thanks for replying...

          Enjoy Life !!!!
          Sambodh