Skip to search.

Re: [hydforum] Lysimeters

  • kevin spelts
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 1, 2005
      Greetings:
      I don't have much experience with lysimeters but I am
      interested in finding oy what turns out to be the
      problem.

      I looked at the SMS Website (
      http://www.soilmeasurement.com/sw-074.html )and, if
      you are using the SW-074 lysimeter for instance, it
      seems reasonable to suggest that the flushing line is
      not well sealed or is leaking and is actually drawing
      water into the lysimeter especially in saturated
      soils.
      Respectfully,
      Kevin J Spelts

      --- russelladams68 <russella@...> wrote:

      > I have been using SMS suction lysimeters in a field
      > site with sandy
      > loam soil. Recently the ground has been at
      > near-saturation due to
      > heavy rainfall in Central Massachusetts. These
      > lysimeters have 2 tubes
      > attached, one for collecting the sample (there is no
      > chamber in the
      > lysimeter itself). The other is supposed to be for
      > "flushing the
      > lines". When we pump the lysimeters the collection
      > rate (i.e. flow)
      > increases quite significantly when we open the
      > flushing line which
      > according to the instructions should be clamped
      > shut. The vacuum is
      > about 20 kPa. Does anyone have any experience using
      > these collectors
      > and know why this could be? It makes no sense to me
      > as opening this
      > line to the atmosphere would break the vacuum? We
      > need to collect
      > quite large volumes of porewater and are having
      > trouble with the setup
      > that we have installed.
      >
      > Russell

      Respectfully,
      Kevin J Spelts

      kevinspelts@...
      kevinspelts@...

      "We are like butterflies who flutter for a day and think it is forever." --Carl Sagan

      __________________________________
      http://mail.yahoo.com
    • Aaron Brown
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 2, 2005
        kevin spelts <kevinspelts@...> wrote: Kevin you can contact Mr Noakes at casella.Email garynoakes@.... He will be able to help you with a Lysimeter .I am Junior Mathurin from ST.Lucia and our Equip is from casella.
      • russella@engin.umass.edu
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 3, 2005
          Kevin
          Thanks for the tip. We tested the lysimeters and both lines in the lab
          prior to field installation, by pumping air and deionised water
          through them and all the connections were airtight (we checked for
          bubbles). Therefore the water must be coming through the lysimeter casing?

          These lysimeters don't have storage chambers so will only collect
          water whilst being pumped under a vacuum.

          Russell