Re: [hydforum] interpretation of VES data

  • Ayman Ahmed
    Message 1 of 13 , Mar 1, 2005
      Dear Dr. Ashok Kumar,

      Thanks for getting such results. I guess the frequent change in MN/2 is the main reason, this is why I asked you to recommend a good electrode configuration, one thing I can't figure out from the literature is by increasing AB/2 you will get more penetration of current, BUT what will happen by increasing MN/2 ?
      Your interpretation is so good, there is a clayey layer below 8 meters, did you get that result using Zohdy? So, now I would like to carry out the same VES with the right electrode configuration, what is your advice?

      Thanks and best regards
      Ayman

      "Dr. Ashok Kumar" <ashok_bcst@...> wrote:
      Dear Ayman Ahmed,
      I have gone through your data. Your data looks to me
      quite erroneous. Further frequent change of MN/2 is
      not required and this the reason you are getting
      erroneous data. The present data is not interpretable.
      I simply guess from it i.e. there is clayey type of
      material below 8 meter/ ft (unit which you have
      selected). There after data is erroneous.
      I will adivise you to design configuration in there
      should be least change in MN/2.
      If you have any comments on my suggestion, please
      inform me.
      Good luck
      ashok

      =====
      Dr Ashok Kumar
      Scientist, ERD
      Remote Sensing Application Centre,
      IGSC-Planetarium, Patna - 800 001, India
      Tele +91-612-2235264(O)/ 2689001(R)/ +91-94310-14590 (mobile)
      http://www.geocities.com/ashok_bcst

      * Post message: hydforum@yahoogroups.com

      * This list is moderated by C. P. Kumar - http://www.angelfire.com/nh/cpkumar/
      * Subscribe other related groups by sending blank
      email to the addresses given below -

      Hydrological Modelling:
      hydrologymodel-subscribe@...

      Ground Water Modelling:
      gwmodel-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

      Groundwater Research and Management
      gwrm-subscribe@...

      Roorkee Hydrology Group:
      rhydrology-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

      Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

    • Dr. Ashok Kumar
      Message 2 of 13 , Mar 1, 2005
        Dear Dr. Ayman Ahmed,
        I have derived results using Zhody programme. I will
        suggest you to use old standard configuration. MN/2 is
        used for potential mesurnment and its adjustment is
        only to get the enhanced value of potential. Say if
        you are not getting signal good enough to resolve with
        instrument, then for same AB/2, you can get good
        signal by increasing MN/2. Some micro processor based
        instrument automatically calculate K value based on
        actual AB/2 and MN/2.

        =====
        Dr Ashok Kumar
        Scientist, ERD
        Remote Sensing Application Centre,
        IGSC-Planetarium, Patna - 800 001, India
        Tele +91-612-2235264(O)/ 2689001(R)/ +91-94310-14590 (mobile)
        http://www.geocities.com/ashok_bcst

        http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
      • Tijani Moshood
        Message 3 of 13 , Mar 8, 2005
          Dear Dr. Ashok Kumar

          I was following the exchanges between you and Ayman
          Ahmed concerning free sofware for VES interpretation.
          Actually I was interested becuase it come at the time
          one of our M.Sc student is carrying out VES field
          survey in a basement rocks area. Before then we had
          been wondering on how to go about the interpreation
          using software.

          That was why your positive response to Ayman Ahmed was
          a sort of encouragement for me to use this medium to
          please request that you ast us also with any free
          Software for Interpreataion of VES that you can give
          us. The said student is almost completing the field
          work and will soon need such software.

          We will appreciate your help and help of any other
          members of this FORUM. Although I am an
          hydrogeologist, I had been more involved with
          hydrochemistry and groundwater and surface water
          pollution including heavy metal contaminations, so
          this is my first attempt at supervising a M.Sc degree
          in that aspect of Geology and as such your suggestions
          and advice may be needed later as the case may be.

          With best regards,

          Dr. Moshood TIJANI,

          __________________________________
          Celebrate Yahoo!'s 10th Birthday!
        • Dr. Ashok Kumar
          Message 4 of 13 , Mar 10, 2005
            Dear Tijani Moshood,
            Please download the zipped attachement. Programme will
            start in DOS mode and ATO.exe is the main programme.
            best of luck
            ashok
            --- Tijani Moshood <tmoshood@...> wrote:

            > Dear Dr. Ashok Kumar
            >
            > I was following the exchanges between you and Ayman
            > Ahmed concerning free sofware for VES
            > interpretation.
            > Actually I was interested becuase it come at the
            > time
            > one of our M.Sc student is carrying out VES field
            > survey in a basement rocks area. Before then we had
            > been wondering on how to go about the interpreation
            > using software.
            >
            > That was why your positive response to Ayman Ahmed
            > was
            > a sort of encouragement for me to use this medium to
            > please request that you ast us also with any free
            > Software for Interpreataion of VES that you can give
            > us. The said student is almost completing the field
            > work and will soon need such software.
            >
            > We will appreciate your help and help of any other
            > members of this FORUM. Although I am an
            > hydrogeologist, I had been more involved with
            > hydrochemistry and groundwater and surface water
            > pollution including heavy metal contaminations, so
            > this is my first attempt at supervising a M.Sc
            > degree
            > in that aspect of Geology and as such your
            > suggestions
            > and advice may be needed later as the case may be.
            >
            > With best regards,
            >

            > Dr. Moshood TIJANI,
            >

            > __________________________________
            > Celebrate Yahoo!'s 10th Birthday!

            Dr Ashok Kumar
            Scientist, ERD
            Remote Sensing Application Centre,
            IGSC-Planetarium, Patna - 800 001, India
            Tele +91-612-2235264(O)/ 2689001(R)/ +91-94310-14590 (mobile)
            http://www.geocities.com/ashok_bcst

          • indrani pal
            Message 5 of 13 , Mar 18, 2005
              hello all,
              i need following papers very urgently.I'll appriciate if anyone can help me to get the electronic copies.
              thanks in advance.
              indrani
              1)"Fuzzy rule-based models for infiltration.",Bardossy,A.,& Disse,M.(1993).Water resources research.
              (2)"Imprecise (fuzzy) information in geostatistics",Bardossy,Bogardi,Kelly, Mathematical geology,1(4),287-311. (1988)
              (3)"Fuzzy regression in hydrology",(1990)Bardossy,Bogardi,Duckstein,Water resources research.25(7).1497-1508
              (4) "Fuzzy rule based classification of circulation patterns for precipitation events",Bardossy et al, International Journal Of Climatology, 15(10),1995,1087-1097.

            • sureshbabu parasuraman
              Message 6 of 13 , Mar 23, 2005
                Dear group members,

                I am doing research in rainfall-runoff modeling. I am using "Marquardt"
                algorithm (in fortran 90) for my optimization of the models. But I have a
                doubt that the results on parameter optimization is truly "global optima" or
                "local optima". And also I encounter in "Initial guess" inside the program.

                REg. this, I need suggestions and guidelines from you. I need any better
                optimization program(preferably in fortran 90) for my R-R modeling work.
                Thanks in advance. I hope favorable response from you all.

                with thanks,
                suresh babu.

                "Defeat the Defeat, Before the Defeat defeats You".

                P. SURESH BABU
                RESEARCH ASSOCIATE
                INSTITUTE OF REMOTE SENSING
                ANNA UNIVERSITY,CHENNAI-600025.
                PH: 22351723 EXTN: 3121

                RES:
                5/157-A, "CP.GEETHA ILLAM",
                1st MAIN ROAD, SARASWATHY NAGAR,
                VALLALAR STREET,
                OTTERI EXTENSION,
                VANDALUR,
                CHENNAI-48.
                PH:91-44-22751433

                >From: indrani pal <pal_indrani@...>
                >To: hydforum <hydforum@yahoogroups.com>
                >Subject: [hydforum] need of some papers
                >Date: Fri, 18 Mar 2005 00:38:48 -0800 (PST)
                >
                >hello all,
                > i need following papers very urgently.I'll appriciate if
                >anyone can help me to get the electronic copies.
                >thanks in advance.
                >indrani
                >1)"Fuzzy rule-based models for infiltration.",Bardossy,A.,&
                >Disse,M.(1993).Water resources research.
                >(2)"Imprecise (fuzzy) information in geostatistics",Bardossy,Bogardi,Kelly,
                >Mathematical geology,1(4),287-311. (1988)
                >(3)"Fuzzy regression in hydrology",(1990)Bardossy,Bogardi,Duckstein,Water
                >resources research.25(7).1497-1508
                >(4) "Fuzzy rule based classification of circulation patterns for
                >precipitation events",Bardossy et al, International Journal Of Climatology,
                >15(10),1995,1087-1097.

                Don't know where to look for your life partner?
                http://www.bharatmatrimony.com/cgi-bin/bmclicks1.cgi?74 Trust
                BharatMatrimony.com
              • Gregory DuCote
                Message 7 of 13 , Mar 23, 2005
                  Mr. suresh babu

                  I posed your question to a friend of mine. Below is his answer to me.

                  Greg,

                  There is not enough information given in the question to determine
                  whether the Levenberg-Marquardt algorithm is adequate for the
                  application that he is trying to solve. There is a need to know what
                  type of convergence problems he is experiencing and the degree to which
                  the solution is 'locally' optimized versus optimizing for the entire
                  range of the observations (global) that he is trying to fit to a
                  function. He needs to look at the fitted residuals over the entire range

                  of observations.

                  The Levenberg-Marquardt algorithm has been around for a while but is
                  still commonly used. Other (newer) methods are used when appropriate to
                  the problem.

                  I do not know what email group you belong to but this question should be

                  posed, with appropriate detail, to finite element modelers and
                  statisticians. It is not truly a rainfall-runoff question but a question

                  of parameter optimization of non-linear functions. His concern about the

                  method making an "Initial Guess" to the solution is unfounded. The
                  initial gues is merely a 'push start' to give the method a first attempt

                  at calculating a set of residuals. The process iterates new solutions
                  until it reaches a pre-determined delta. When the errors in estimation
                  (residuals) fall below this delta (or fail to converge) the function
                  passes on its solution to the calling program. This is standard
                  methodology in most iterative functions.

                  Kevin
                  -----
                  Kevin Robbins, Director
                  Southern Regional Climate Center
                  Louisiana State University

                  Gregory J. DuCote
                  Coastal Resources Scientist Manager
                  Interagency Affairs Section
                  Coastal Management Division
                  P.O. Box 44487
                  617 North 3rd Street
                  Baton Rouge, La 70804-4487
                  Phone: 225.342.5052
                  800.267.4019
                  Facsimile: 225.242.3458
                  E-Mail: gregory.ducote@...

                  "If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of
                  civilization, it expects what never was and will never be."
                  Jefferson

                  I am doing research in rainfall-runoff modeling. I am using "Marquardt"
                  algorithm (in fortran 90) for my optimization of the models. But I have
                  doubt that the results on parameter optimization is truly "global
                  optima" or
                  "local optima". And also I encounter in "Initial guess" inside the
                  program.

                  REg. this, I need suggestions and guidelines from you. I need any better

                  optimization program(preferably in fortran 90) for my R-R modeling work.
                  Thanks in advance. I hope favorable response from you all.

                  with thanks,
                  suresh babu.

                  "Defeat the Defeat, Before the Defeat defeats You".

                  P. SURESH BABU
                  RESEARCH ASSOCIATE
                  INSTITUTE OF REMOTE SENSING
                  ANNA UNIVERSITY,CHENNAI-600025.
                  PH: 22351723 EXTN: 3121

                  RES:
                  5/157-A, "CP.GEETHA ILLAM",
                  1st MAIN ROAD, SARASWATHY NAGAR,
                  VALLALAR STREET,
                  OTTERI EXTENSION,
                  VANDALUR,
                  CHENNAI-48.
                  PH:91-44-22751433

                  >From: indrani pal <pal_indrani@...>
                  >To: hydforum <hydforum@yahoogroups.com>
                  >Subject: [hydforum] need of some papers
                  >Date: Fri, 18 Mar 2005 00:38:48 -0800 (PST)
                  >
                  >hello all,
                  > i need following papers very urgently.I'll appriciate if
                  >anyone can help me to get the electronic copies.
                  >thanks in advance.
                  >indrani
                  >1)"Fuzzy rule-based models for infiltration.",Bardossy,A.,&
                  >Disse,M.(1993).Water resources research.
                  >(2)"Imprecise (fuzzy) information in
                  geostatistics",Bardossy,Bogardi,Kelly,
                  >Mathematical geology,1(4),287-311. (1988)
                  >(3)"Fuzzy regression in
                  hydrology",(1990)Bardossy,Bogardi,Duckstein,Water
                  >resources research.25(7).1497-1508
                  >(4) "Fuzzy rule based classification of circulation patterns for
                  >precipitation events",Bardossy et al, International Journal Of
                  Climatology,
                  >15(10),1995,1087-1097.

                  Don't know where to look for your life partner?
                  http://www.bharatmatrimony.com/cgi-bin/bmclicks1.cgi?74 Trust
                  BharatMatrimony.com

                  * Post message: hydforum@yahoogroups.com

                  * This list is moderated by C. P. Kumar -
                  http://www.angelfire.com/nh/cpkumar/
                  * Subscribe other related groups by sending blank
                  email to the addresses given below -

                  Hydrological Modelling:
                  hydrologymodel-subscribe@...

                  Ground Water Modelling:
                  gwmodel-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

                  Groundwater Research and Management
                  gwrm-subscribe@...

                  Roorkee Hydrology Group:
                  rhydrology-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
                • Zong Woo Geem
                  Message 8 of 13 , Mar 23, 2005
                    Hi,

                    "Marquardt" algorithm seems too old, and It's locally searching. If
                    you really want to get better results, try BFGS method.

                    If you don't want to assume "initial values," you can try soft
                    computing algorithm such as genetic algorithm (it requires "initial
                    guess" for algorithm parameters though).

                    In my recent research, newly-developed harmony search algorithm
                    produced better results than genetic algorithm. The harmony search
                    uses real value, elite scheme, and effective local search scheme.

                    Although I don't use Fortran any more, I can let you know references.

                    Thanks,

                    Zong Woo Geem

                    기본 250MB 최대 1GB, 더 이상 용량 고민없는 - 야후! 메일 (http://mail.yahoo.co.kr)
                    최신 휴대폰 정보, 벨소리, 캐릭터, 문자메세지 - 야후! 모바일 (http://kr.mobile.yahoo.com)