submarin spring

  • m-sibai@scs-net.org
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 31, 2004
      DEAR GROUP MEMBERS
      Does any one knows a practical (direct/indirect) method to measure the
      disharge of submarin spring(s) emerging from karst coastal aquifer. Can you
      direct me to related papers/references. We used basin water budjet to estimate
      the overall discharge but we are looking to more accurat methods.
      Thanks...

      M. Sibai
      ACSAD
    • louispotie@aol.com
      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 2, 2004
        Dear Friend,
        I worked a lot on submarin Spring in coastal karstic aquifer, particularly
        in France near Marseille (site of PortMiou, Cassis). and I participate with
        Cost621 (committee of 10 european countries) of CEE (DGXII) which worked 3
        year on this specific karstic coastal aquifer. I can give you the mail of
        the committee's Chairman: Prof. Luigi Tulipano of Roma University:
        _luigi.tulipano@..._ (mailto:luigi.tulipano@...)
        Very few people measure discharge of submarin spring's ! it is posible with
        specific equipment and i know just one submarinwork company able to practice
        this kind of measure: NympheaWater (manger: Thierry Carlin :
        _carlin@..._ (mailto:carlin@...) )
        Sure it is absolutely necessary to measure discharge of submerin spring
        during at least an a hydrological cycle.
        We made this kind of measures in PortMiou during 3 years before and after
        the construction of a submarin and subterranean Dam. It was between 1971 and
        1978 !
        Louis Potié

      • Darmao
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 10, 2005
          Hi there,

          My question is regarding the estimation of overflow
          from a pond. The pond capacity is 5000m3, and its
          catchment is small.There is a spillway which is very
          informal, and a rainfall gauge nearby.
          I tried to use rational method to estimate the
          overflow, but the result is obvious wrong.It is not
          safe to measure the water height above the spillway.

          How to estimate the flowrate of overflow from the
          pond?
          Any easy way?

          Thank you very much

          Dan

          注册世界一流品质的雅虎免费电邮
          http://cn.rd.yahoo.com/mail_cn/tag/1g/*http://cn.mail.yahoo.com/
        • Alan Smith
          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 11, 2005
            Dan,
            For routing flow through a pond you need:
            (1) A proper inflow hydrograph rather than the peak flow defined by the
            Rational method
            (2) A description of the pond geometry in terms of a stage-storage curve
            and a stage-discharge curve.
            Stage-Storage depends on the shape of the pond
            Stage-Discharge depends on the outflow control device(s) e.g.
            orifice, pipe, weir
            The inflow can be routed using the Storage-Indication method described in
            most text books on the subject. If you don't have access to a suitable
            text try looking at <http://www.miduss.com/theory-Reservoir-Routing.htm> .

            You may find it useful to look at Lessons 7 and 12 in the web site below.
            <http://www.miduss.com/MIDUSS_support_tutorials_sum.htm>

            Best of luck
            Alan A. Smith

            At 01:57 AM 1/11/2005, you wrote:

            >Hi there,
            >
            >My question is regarding the estimation of overflow
            >from a pond. The pond capacity is 5000m3, and its
            >catchment is small.There is a spillway which is very
            >informal, and a rainfall gauge nearby.
            >I tried to use rational method to estimate the
            >overflow, but the result is obvious wrong.It is not
            >safe to measure the water height above the spillway.
            >
            >How to estimate the flowrate of overflow from the
            >pond?
            >Any easy way?
            >
            >Thank you very much
            >
            >Dan

            >* Post message: hydforum@yahoogroups.com
            >
            >* This list is moderated by C. P. Kumar - http://www.angelfire.com/nh/cpkumar/
            >* Subscribe other related groups by sending blank
            >email to the addresses given below -
            >
            >Hydrological Modelling:
            >hydrologymodel-subscribe@...
            >
            >Ground Water Modelling:
            >gwmodel-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
            >
            >Roorkee Hydrology Group:
            >rhydrology-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

          • df dvb
            Message 5 of 7 , Jan 11, 2005
              Hi
              What is the size of ur spillway and what type it is?
              Is the water coming out of spillway only or it is spilling from allsides of the tank?
              Sarda

              Message 6 of 7 , Jan 12, 2005
                Thank you very much for the replies from Mark, Alan
                and Sarda.

                The pond I mentioned was modified from a natural
                pond.It also receives inflow from its catchment
                (300,000m2). The pond capacity 50,000m3 (not 5,000m3
                as in my last email, I apologise).The maximum water
                area is 1,000m2. This is an earth pond, not a tank.

                There is no detailed data availabe about its
                relationships between volume and depth,or
                stage-storage curve, or stage-discharge curve etc.The
                so-called spillway is very rough (about 10m wide,just
                a lower spot around the pond bund). This is the only
                spot where pond water coming out. And it is very hard
                to access to measure its water height above the
                spillway. There is no any water control or measurement
                equipment available. It is not practically to measure
                its outflow in the downstream or measure the inflow to
                the pond.

                Generally this situation (pond) is quite common in the
                remote regions.

                It is required to estimate the flowrate of the
                overflow from the pond (assume the pond is full) for a
                storm event. The unit for flowrate is l/s, or m3/s, or
                m3/hr, not volume m3, or l, or ft3. The flowrate is
                then used to estimate the pollutant's
                concentration/loadings in the downstream after mixing
                with downstream water as the pond is full of
                wastewater.

                I doubt the result from rational method as it is too
                high (>100 l/s for an event 3.8 mm/hr (average
                intensity for a 4 hr event). There is another pond
                nearby has a proper spillway, and the water height
                above the spillway can be measured (0.05m for 3.8 mm/h
                event).I used Manning's formula to estimate the
                flowate. The flowrate is under 50 l/s for this one
                under same event, but this nearby pond and its
                catchment are much big.

                It will be good if I can estimate how long the verflow
                will last. But at this stage, I focus on the peak or
                average flowrate. I also focus on the "estimation" by
                calculation, not measurement.

                Thank you very much again.

                Dan.