14th National Symposium on Hydrology, 21-22 December 2010, Jaipur (India)

  • C. P. Kumar
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 3, 2010
      14th National Symposium on Hydrology with focal theme on "Management of Water Resources under Drought Situation"

      21-22 December 2010
      Jaipur, Rajasthan, India

      Organized by: National Institute of Hydrology, Roorkee & Malaviya National Institute of Technology, Jaipur

      Sponsored by: Indian National Committee on Hydrology (IHP National Committee of India for UNESCO)

      INTRODUCTION

      Water is a vital resource gifted by nature to living beings on the earth. Water is not only essential to sustain life, but also to support ecosystems, economic development, community well-being, and cultural values. Water no longer can be taken for granted. It is one of the most challenging tasks to ensure adequate water and food to our present and future generations. The availability of water resources in our country is highly variable both in space and time. Occurrences of droughts often cause depletion of water availability and lead to significant water stress to regional economic activities and society. Drought is one among the natural disasters that affect the maximum number of people and their livelihood in the world. Drought refers to relative deficiency of available water that injuriously affects the usual crops, causes temporary scarcity of water for human/livestock consumption and influences the economic growth. India is one among the countries that have long-past history of facing drought and famine like situation from time to time. It was reported that GNP had decreased by 7% due to crop loss during 1987-88 drought (36 million tons of food production loss). Areas that have high exposure and low coping capabilities would have the highest risk of losses from a given drought event than those with low exposure and high coping abilities. The occurrence of droughts in India is normally linked with the amount, distribution, and time of onset and withdrawal of monsoon rainfall. Since, the monsoon rainfall is highly erratic and unevenly distributed, drought conditions prevail in almost every year in one or the other part of India. We respond to a drought situation through ad-hoc strategies and more like crisis management approach rather than thorough proactive, coordinated strategies designed to mitigate the impacts.

      Various tools, technologies have been developed to address a wide spectrum of water resource problems. Models are being used for assessment of water resources, water availability and reservoir system operations etc. With more powerful and modern computing systems and tools, a greater number of economical remote sensing tools, radar and satellite imaging, isotopic techniques, hydrological models enable water resources managers to move beyond the conventional techniques. The goal of this symposium is to discuss and improve knowledge on water resources management during drought and other related areas through collaborative information sharing and capability building.

      The Indian National Committee on Hydrology (INCOH), as one of its objectives, provides technical support to the Ministry of Water Resources, Govt. of India (MoWR) in evaluating the R&D projects and studies for funding. The National Institute of Hydrology, Roorkee has been providing secretarial assistance to the INCOH. In pursuance of its objectives of preparing and periodically updating the state-of-art in the area of hydrology in the country, INCOH publishes the state-of-art reports on different important topics of hydrology. The INCOH also publishes the "Journal of Hydrological Research and Development". The Committee is involved in the 7th phase of IHP (2008-2013) of UNESCO, which is devoted to water interaction with various systems emphasizing the need to solve social changes ahead and associated risks. Under the auspices of INCOH, this symposium is 14th in the series of National Symposia on Hydrology. The National Institute of Hydrology, Roorkee as a premier research institution in field of hydrology, jointly with MNIT Jaipur have planned to organize the National Symposium on Hydrology with focal theme on "Management of Water Resources under Drought Situation". Besides the focal theme related aspects of hydrology, management, environmental and social aspects of water shall also be covered in the Symposium.

      Researchers/scientists, academicians/scholars, engineers, bureaucrats/ policy makers, planners, managers and non-governmental organizations (NGOs) are invited at MNIT Jaipur during December 21-22, 2010 to share their experiences and views on above issues.

      OBJECTIVES OF THE SYMPOSIUM

      The principle objective of the 14th National Symposium is to bring together water resources professionals, practicing field engineers, decision makers and stakeholders of the different water resources and hydrology enterprises, from various parts of India, to a single platform to exchange their views and share knowledge. This would help in building a roadmap for achieving improved water resources management to cope with the water scarcity during drought and to minimize/mitigate the impacts of drought on agricultural and other regional economic activities including sustainability of ecosystems. An electronic copy of technical proceedings and hardcopy of abstracts consisting of accepted papers and invited lectures shall be published.

      THEMES

      The symposium will focus on the technologies and management principles pertaining to water resources and drought mitigation including the interdisciplinary aspects under the following major themes:

      Focal Theme:

      * Identification of onset and termination of drought
      * Regional drought indices, monitoring and mitigation
      * Assessment of frequency and severity of drought in different climatic regions
      * Integrated assessment of vulnerability to drought
      * Integrated water resources management to improve water availability
      * Watershed development and rainwater harvesting
      * Drought preparedness and early warning
      * Water conservation and rainwater harvesting to mitigate drought
      * Application of remote sensing and GIS in drought studies
      * Socio-economic aspects of drought

      Other Themes:

      * Surface water hydrology
      * Water resources systems
      * Ground water hydrology
      * Conjunctive use of surface and groundwater
      * Surface and groundwater quality
      * Management of hydrological extremes
      * Water resources management
      * Watershed management
      * Urban hydrology
      * Application of advance techniques and tools in hydrology
      * Environmental engineering and assessment of environmental flow requirements
      * Decision support system for water resources development and management
      * Impact of climate change on water resources

      ABOUT NATIONAL INSTITUTE OF HYDROLOGY (NIH)

      The National Institute of Hydrology was established in 1978 as an autonomous organisation under Ministry of Water Resources, Govt. of India, to conduct basic, applied and strategic research in the field of hydrology and water resources development. The Institute is located at Roorkee, District Haridwar, Uttarakhand. Main objectives of the Institute is to undertake, aid, promote and coordinate systematic and scientific work on all aspects of hydrology and to cooperate and collaborate with other national and international organizations in the field of hydrology.

      ABOUT MNIT JAIPUR

      The Malaviya Regional Engineering College, Jaipur was established in 1963 as a joint venture of the Government of India and the Government of Rajasthan. It is spread over 325 acres of lush green campus that enthralls and inspires students for high learning. The Institute was granted the status of National Institute of Technology (NIT) on June 26, 2002. Civil Engineering Department of MNIT Jaipur offers B.Tech. in Civil Engineering and four different post graduate programmes in Water Resources Engineering, Environmental Engineering, Transportation Engineering and Disaster Assessment and Mitigation.

      Please visit website: http://www.nih.ernet.in and http://www.mnit.ac.in for more details.

      VENUE & DATE

      The symposium will be held at the Malaviya National Institute of Technology, Jaipur-302 017, Rajasthan, India during December 21-22, 2010.

      IMPORTANT DATES

      Submission of abstract : November 25, 2010
      Acceptance of abstracts : November 30, 2010
      Submission of full papers: December 10, 2010
      Symposium Dates : December 21-22, 2010

      REGISTRATION FEE

      The registration fee for participation in the symposium is as follows:

      1 Delegates Rs. 2500
      2 Accompanying-guest Rs. 1250
      3 Students/Research Scholars Rs. 1250
      4 Industries & Others Rs. 5000

      The registration fee includes registration material, working lunches, tea during symposium. The accompanying guests will have access to all the technical/cultural programmes and hospitality at par with the delegates except registration materials. The registration fee may be paid in the form of Demand Draft in favour of National Institute of Hydrology, Roorkee, payable at Roorkee. Also, cash payment of registration fee will be accepted on spot registration during the symposium days. Prospective participants desirous of attending the symposium are requested to fill in the enclosed Registration Form and mail the same along with Registration Fee at the following address:

      Dr. R.P. Pandey, Scientist E1
      National Institute of Hydrology
      Roorkee-247667, Uttarakhand
      Ph.: (01332) 276220, 249216
      Fax: (01332) 272123
      E-mail: mwrds2010@..., rpp@...

      ACCOMMODATION

      Limited accommodation would be made available to the participants on first registered first served basis. Accommodation charges are required to be paid by the participants of the symposium. Due to the tourist season during the symposium period, it would be difficult to arrange accommodation at the last moment. Therefore please confirm your registration in advance.

      CLIMATE OF JAIPUR

      The climate at Jaipur would be very cold during the month of December. In winters, the city of Jaipur observes bright and pleasant sunny days, though the temperature may reach a low of around 5ºC during the nights. Delegates are advised to keep woolens with them for the visit to Jaipur city during the symposium days.

      CALL FOR PAPERS

      Researchers, technologists, academicians, professionals and field engineers are invited to present their original works, case studies, modeling studies and experimental field work as technical paper in the symposium under the afore mentioned themes. Interested authors are requested to submit abstract by November 25, 2010 and full paper not exceeding 10 pages on A-4 size paper only through e-mail by December 10, 2010. The abstracts of the papers in about 400 words/ papers should be submitted to the Organizing Secretary (Email: mwrds2010@...).

      CONTACT ADDRESS

      Organizing Secretaries

      Prof. Rohit Goyal, Professor
      Deptt. of Civil Engg., MNIT Jaipur
      Jaipur – 302 017 (Rajasthan)
      Ph.: (0141) 2713263
      Fax: (0141) 2529062, 2529029
      E-mail: mwrds2010@...
      rgoyal_jp@...

      Dr. R.P. Pandey, Scientist E1
      National Institute of Hydrology
      Roorkee-247667, Uttarakhand
      Ph.: (01332) 276220, 249216
      Fax: (01332) 272123
      E-mail: mwrds2010@...
      rpp@...

      REGISTRATION FORM

      14th National Symposium on Hydrology
      with focal theme on
      Management of Water Resources under Drought Situation
      December 21-22, 2010
      at MNIT, Jaipur, Rajasthan
      (Organised by NIH Roorkee & MNIT Jaipur)

      Name: _____________________________________________________________________
      Designation: ________________________________________________________________
      Name of Organization: ________________________________________________________
      Address for correspondence: ___________________________________________________
      _____________________________________________ Pin: _________________________
      Phone: __________________ Mobile: __________________ Fax: _____________________
      Email: ____________________________________________________________________

      Accommodation Needed: Yes / No Paper contributed: Yes / No
      Details of Registration Fee:
      (a) Delegate : Rs. 2500/-
      (b) Accompanying Guest/Student/Research Scholar : Rs. 1250/-
      (c) Industries/Others : Rs. 5000/-

      Demand Draft for Rs. _______________________ bearing No.: ______________________
      Dated ___________________ drawn in favor of National Institute of Hydrology, Roorkee, payable at Roorkee is enclosed / being sent separately.

      Date: Signature:

      [Note: The Registration forms and registration fee should be sent to Dr R.P.Pandey, Organizing Secretary, 14th National Symposium on Hydrology, National Institute of Hydrology, Roorkee – 247667 (Uttarakhand)].
      Contact E-Mail: mwrds2010@....
    • John Mawarura
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 5, 2010
        Sir,

        Please help. I want to create my first model grid. How do I start? I also want to convert this grid to a cell centered point grid . How do I do it?

        thank you
        John
      • Mamoon Ismail
        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 6, 2010
          What is the software you are using?

          I'm doing my bit to tackle Global Warming. Join other members who are making
          a difference

          Mamoon Ismail
          Hydrogeologist
          Ministry Of Water And Irrigation