RE: [hydforum] how to get involved in hydrology

  • Davis, Clair
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 2, 2009
      I'll second the recommendation of Engineers Without Borders, and will also recommend that you pursue a civil engineering degree with emphasis on water resources. There are some skills that a general Civil degree will provide that will be very helpful in an E w/o B situation. Drilling the well will likely be the easiest part of a project like that - powering the pump, transmitting the water, and making sure it's drinkable will also be problems. I recently attended a presentation by a local E w/o B chapter, and the difficulties they found while trying to provide a basic service were amazing.

      If a more pure hydrology degree is your desire, I'm sure there are schools in NV that have that type of program. I graduated from Tarleton State Univ. here in TX, and it's a good, but small, program. That said, career opportunities increased dramatically after I got the little "P.E." letters after my name, and a general Civil program will expedite that.

      Good luck,

      Clair C. Davis, P.E., CFM