CfP: Summer School 2009: Water quality in rural areas

  • Georg Hoermann

      First Announcement and Call for Participation - Summer School 2009
      Field methods and eco-hydrological models for integrated water
      management in rural areas

      Sept. 15th-30th 2009, Kiel, Germany

      Outline
      =======
      Rural regions play a central role in the management of water resources
      of the earth. Most ground- and freshwater originates from these regions,
      but they do not only "produce" water, on a global scale agriculture
      consumes more than 70% of freshwater resources. The expected climatic
      changes aggravate the situation, especially for BRIC (Brazil, Russia,
      India, China) countries where water is scarce - at least in parts of the
      countries. In Germany (and Europe), the problems of water quantity are
      less important than that of quality, because many freshwater bodies are
      polluted. As a countermeasure to improve the ecological quality of water
      bodies, the European Community has implemented the Water Framework
      Directive (WFD), which has stimulated many interdisciplinary research
      activities aiming at an integrated management of catchments. The
      application of these methods and models is not limited to Europe, they
      can be applied to other climates as well - the sustainable use of water
      resources in rural landscapes is a global problem. This summer course is
      the second of three subsequent courses. The summer schools was about
      management of water quantity (2008), in 2009 we will deal with
      management of water quality and in 2010 with integrated management of
      water resources.
      Summer course 2009: Management of water quality
      A reasonable water quality is one of the most important goals in the
      management of water resources. This is why we devote the second summer
      school to this problem. First we will introduce different methods to
      estimate and assess chemical, physical and biological water quality.
      Based on high resolution data sets we will analyse different sampling
      strategies for water quality parameters. Finally we will carry out
      modelling studies where we can estimate and analyse the management of
      water quality in rural catchments of different climates. In addition,
      experts from selected countries (China, Brazil) will report about the
      situation in their countries.

      Course Topics
      =============
      Monitoring concepts and measurement techniques, management of water
      quality in BRIC countries, conservation and management strategies,
      erosion and water quality, statistical analyses, practical work in the
      computer lab with eco-hydrological models (SWAT and others), excursions.

      Organisation, Contact
      =====================

      Address: Prof. Dr. N. Fohrer, Dr. G. Hörmann: Ecology Centre,
      Department of Hydrology and Water Resources Management, Olshausenstr.
      75, D-24118 Kiel , Fax: +49-431-880-4607, Phone: -4030,
      ghoermann@...-kiel.de
      Application: The summer school is intended for scientists from foreign
      countries, especially BRIC (Brazil, Russia, India and China) countries
      with at least a master degree. Applications should be submitted to
      summerschool@...-kiel.de until April 1st, 2009. An application
      form is available on the website.
      Costs: The DAAD/BMBF offers 20 scholarships for foreign scientists (12
      for BRIC countries) to cover the costs of the summer school.
      Web: http://www.hydrology.uni-kiel.de/summerschool - Please refer to
      the homepage for updated information

      - --
      Georg Hoermann, Dep. of Hydrology, Ecology, Kiel University, Germany
      +49/431/23761412, mo: +49/171/4995884, icq:348340729, skype: ghoermann