Help

  • dingdongtray
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 1, 2003
      I was woundering if anyone has any good advice on law...
      I have been tested pos. for HD (i'm 32) with no showing signs and
      live on my own, no kids. What is the law on leaving anythiny to
      anyone if you are moved in to a nursing home and what happens to your
      house if this is already paid for...
      I would like to be able to leave my brother and sisters something
      before the disease does start to control my life
    • bitchinbabe03_08
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 4, 2005
        I am married to a man who has huntingtons and is in FULL
        DENIEL...thinks we are all CRAZY and he is fine....He is in the
        ANGRY mode.. I need help trying to understand what to do. Right now
        me and his DR. are trying to commit him because he is a treat to
        himself and others, much less to say he has already came to hit me 3
        times so he no longers lives in the same house as I do anymore. He
        is back with his VERY DISFUNCTUAL EX WIFE who doesn't even begin to
        understand the diease and Is the main problem because for the last 7
        yrs she has abused him mentally, physically and other wise and uses
        her 6yr old son to get what she wants from him and he always
        buckles...Someone please give me some insit .I have already gave it
        to God to help me so what is next....Thnaks, Beth
      • sue_twin2
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 4, 2005
          Welcome to the group Beth – it looks as if you need all the
          support
          you can get to deal with the situation you describe.

          You asked for someone to give you some insight but it sounds to me
          as if you have plenty already. Unfortunately denial is very common
          in people with HD and I believe it is a result of the brain damage
          they suffer rather than making a choice to deny the facts. As such,
          it is very hard, if not almost impossible, to convince them that
          their beliefs are mistaken.

          You said that you and his doctor are trying to commit your husband.
          The only
          way I could get my husband to co-operate with any form of treatment
          such as taking medication was to have him committed. He too was
          irrational and violent towards me and was totally oblivious to his
          own needs. I had left the marital home for my own safety but
          continued to provide care daily as he was incapable of shopping,
          cooking, cleaning, etc. The actual process of having him committed
          was extremely traumatic to all concerned but it had to be done to
          prevent a tragedy. I was very fortunate to have my twin sister's
          support for this process – I do hope you can find someone you
          trust
          to support you too, maybe a sibling or close friend?

          Another source of support I received which helped me preserve a
          little of my own sanity was to attend a local support group for
          women who had suffered domestic abuse. At first I felt it was wrong
          for me to be there as my husband was not being intentionally abusive
          as the behaviour was a result of HD, but the insights I gained and
          the strength that developed by learning different coping strategies
          was of immeasurable benefit. Is there a group near you that you
          could attend? It might also help you dealing with your husband's
          ex-
          wife.

          Don't forget to look after your own needs too, particularly
          concerning health. Caregivers frequently suffer depression and
          anxiety which can be treated. I have had several periods on anti-
          depressants to help me cope with the more traumatic times.

          I do hope some of what I have said is of help to you. Please keep us
          posted on how things are going and ask any questions you like or
          just come here to scream or cry – we have broad shoulders and
          long
          arms to give big hugs!

          Take care and God bless,

          Sue