I'm new here

  • CreativeColors19@aol.com
    Message 1 of 11 , May 1, 2008
      Hi guys.  I am new to this group and thought I would do an intro before I start posting/replying.
      I am Heather, 24, mom to 4 kiddos.  I am married to Nathan, 28, who has tested positive for the HD gene.  (As of right now, depression is his only 'real' symptom.)  My 3 sons are from a previous marriage, but our daughter was a suprise from our honeymoon.  She is at-risk.  We did not expect to have any biological children at all.
      Anyway, Nathan was in the military when he found out that his grandfather and dad both tested, and were positive.  (His grandfather passed away at 70something from hernia surgery, and his father is doing great at 49)  He immediately asked the military to test him and they did.  His records are now sealed through the military and VA.  Since he was medically discharged the VA now covers all his health insurance for the rest of his life. They obviously know all about his HD but cannot release the info to anyone else. The rest of our family all have private healthcare.
      I have a few questions now.
      How do I go about getting long term care insurance?  Are they going to ask specifically about HD or genetic diseases?  What other preperations do we need to do?  I know you normally do this before being tested, but oops, too late.
      Any info on things to get in order would be great!  Thank you.
      I look forward to getting to know you guys and discussing all things about HD.

      Thanx yall!
      Heather
    • Ronni
      Message 2 of 11 , May 1, 2008
        Hi Heather...and welcome to the group.  I live in Australia so sadly cant help you on the insurance issues.

        My brother has HD and is about to go into assisted living.  He had applied to do the NY marathon as a disabled athlete, but last week my mum told me he wont be going as hes falling/pulling up too much, which is really sad because I know how much he used to love running and being active.

        How old is your daughter?  I feel for you in your situation.  I am not at risk as I found out when I was 25 yrs old that my Dad is not my biological father  :o(  but thankfully that leaves me in the clear of HD.

        Ronni.

        Message 3 of 11 , May 1, 2008

          Hey...I am also Heather. I am 25 and have HD. I am married too. Weird! I don't know about the American Insurance either. I am Canadian.I am starting home support on Monday. My brother and cousin have it. They have been sick since they were 21. I started a positive HD website. I got sick of all the negative media. We do not need to fear HD.  Not anymore. I put testing information on there. I put ways to cope and handle the testing. I was the most positive person when I found out. I put the ways to deal with testing. I have tons of HD information.

          http://heatherdugdale.angelfire.com/

          Heather Dugdale

          Message 4 of 11 , May 1, 2008

            Message 5 of 11 , May 1, 2008
              --- In huntingtonsatrisk@yahoogroups.com, Heather Dugdale
              <i_am_miss_world@...> wrote:

              > Hey...I am also Heather. I am 25 and have HD. I am married too.
              Weird! I don't know about the American Insurance either. I am
              Canadian.I am starting home support on Monday. My brother and cousin
              have it. They have been sick since they were 21. I started a positive
              HD website. I got sick of all the negative media. We do not need to
              fear HD. Not anymore. I put testing information on there. I put ways
              to cope and handle the testing. I was the most positive person when I
              found out. I put the ways to deal with testing. I have tons of HD
              information.

              http://heatherdugdale.angelfire.com/
              > Heather Dugdale

              Site.