Overwhelmed

  • brwnid_woman
    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 1, 2002
      My sons father has been able to come back home here. He had been at
      his dads in TN. He was so homesick he stopped eating and now he is
      skin and bones. He has HD.He had been in the hospital from falling
      and breaking his nose. At that point he was dehydrated severly. Since
      coming home yesterday, he ate once yesterday and I've gotten liquids
      down him. Do any of you know of any services that are reasonable
      that I can hire to stay w/ him while I work? Are they any that are
      income based? There is sooo much that needs to be done for him and
      I 'm the only one. I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed but, I'm trying to
      take it one minute at a time at the moment. He has no insurance at
      the moment and his dad let him run out of his meds and on and on. Any
      advice or suggestions would be much appreciated!!!
    • susie_que_56
      Message 2 of 9 , Jul 1, 2002
        Oh my what a mess things can get into.... Lets see if they let his
        insurance laps it might be hard to get back if they give it back to
        him. Is he on disability yet? You might checkinto Medicaid for him so
        that he can get medical care and medications. And through the
        government he might qulify for resprite care. If you belong to a
        church maybe you could get some volunteers to come help you with him.
        Friends might be helpful too if they haven't all run off... And when
        you go to place like the Division of Family Services or churches if
        they can not help you ASK them if they know of who can. Never be
        afraide to ask who else might be out there that we cna get help
        through. Let me know what State you are in and what is the closest
        big town and I might be able to give you addresses of another agency
        that could help in some way or other. I know different states have
        different ways to go about things but like I said it never hurts to
        ask.

        This is all I can think of at this late time tonight. Hang in there
        and keep us informed ok?

        Susie
      • betsyjp
        Message 3 of 9 , Jul 2, 2002
          I would suggest calling the HDSA and asking for a phone number for
          your local caregiver resource center.

          --- In huntingtonsatrisk@y..., "brwnid_woman" <brwnid_woman@y...>
          Message 4 of 9 , Jul 2, 2002
            Thanks for the reply. I'm in Birmingham Alabama. He has no insurance
            and his HD social worker is supposed to be checking into that today.
            (medicaid)He rec'vd his first disability check in May so, yes he gets
            that. He's been off his meds for a few weeks. He only sleeps about 4
            hours a night and I'm starved for sleep just after 3 nights. My best
            friend is trying to help me with him while I work. Monday will be a
            hurdle because she can't and he'll have to be at home alone. I'm out
            of ideas. I know he needs placement but, as we all know things take
            time. Upon, leaving his dads in TN his dad said to never contact him
            again. How can people be just so heartless? I will always do my best
            w/ and for him. He's my sons father and I love them both VERY
            much!!! I cry alot but, I'm trying to be so brave and strong. I feel
            the world on my shoulders. If there is anything anyone can think of
            please please let me know.

            -- In huntingtonsatrisk@y..., susie_que_56 <no_reply@y...> wrote:
            > Oh my what a mess things can get into.... Lets see if they let his
            > insurance laps it might be hard to get back if they give it back to
            > him. Is he on disability yet? You might checkinto Medicaid for him
            so
            > that he can get medical care and medications. And through the
            > government he might qulify for resprite care. If you belong to a
            > church maybe you could get some volunteers to come help you with
            him.
            > Friends might be helpful too if they haven't all run off... And
            when
            > you go to place like the Division of Family Services or churches if
            > they can not help you ASK them if they know of who can. Never be
            > afraide to ask who else might be out there that we cna get help
            > through. Let me know what State you are in and what is the closest
            > big town and I might be able to give you addresses of another
            agency
            > that could help in some way or other. I know different states have
            > different ways to go about things but like I said it never hurts to
            > ask.
            >
            > This is all I can think of at this late time tonight. Hang in there
            > and keep us informed ok?
            >
            > Susie
          • blondebarber37814
            Message 5 of 9 , Jul 2, 2002
              Hello, Just wanted to let you know that there ARE options out there
              for you to turn to. I know how draining it can be both emotionally
              and pysically. My mother has been in the nursing home since last
              year. Although we have complaints, she is pretty happy there. They
              take care of her hygeine needs which were starting to become a
              problem at home . They make sure she takes her medicine. At home she
              would forget and yell at anyone who reminded her. I really credit my
              father for taking care of her for as long as he did. It can become
              too much for one person.
              My parents have a very tight budget and thankfully medicaid pays for
              her nursing home. I know that as sone as she was approved for
              medicare the doctor was able to recommend that she would be better
              off in the home. IT TOOK THE DRS RECOMMENDATION. I know the medicaid
              also paid for a nurse to come to the home on a temperary basis until
              she went to the home. Does he have a dr. in Alabama? We are in
              Tennessee. Stay hopeful. There was a time when we thought there was
              NO help for Mom too.
              Take care,
              Kristen

            • susie_que_56
              Message 6 of 9 , Jul 2, 2002
                Try calling these people and see if they can help you out any.
                Anything is worth a try...

                Birmingham Independent Living Center
                Dan Kessler
                206 13th Street, South
                Brimingham, AL 35233
                (205) 251-2223
                TTY: (205)-251-2223
                FAX: (205) 251-0605
                EMAIL: bham@...

                I know things differ from state to state so call them and see if they
                can help you. I know our Independent Living Center was a God send
                when Frank was ill. But I also know we have a PAS with our Center in
                Missouri that you can hire someone to come to your home and help out.
                Matter of fact I am a PAS (personal care attendent) to a 95 year old
                woman who is still in her home. I just hope your State has this in
                force for you all. I know not all do but I really hoping in your
                case.

                Susie
              • brwnid_woman
                Message 7 of 9 , Jul 3, 2002
                  Kristen,
                  OH MY!!! I feel like I've bitten off more than I can swallow right
                  now. I've got the hygeine problem w/ him as well. Last night he
                  starred at his feet and carton of cigarettes for 2 1/2 hours and I
                  couldn't get him to budge. I finally got some samples of his meds
                  yesterday but, I couldn't pull him away until 11 p.m. to take them.
                  Last night was the most he had slept since being back. He sees Dr.
                  Leon Dure in Birmingham. Is there a HD doctor in TN? He didn't eat
                  at all yesterday and drank very little. That really worries me as he
                  has lost sooo much weight. I know I can't keep this up and I don't
                  have alot of money to pay someone. My best friend has done it this
                  week. I have nobody for Monday and don't know what I'll do. Placement
                  is best for him but, his medicaid hasn't been approved yet and I have
                  his social worker checking on that. He is at himself sometimes so,
                  placement will be hard to see him go to. I don't think his doctor
                  will have a problem making that recommendation. Hopefully, he'll see
                  Dr. Dure next week. I'm waiting to hear when they can schedule him.
                  Dr Dure and his staff are a Godsend and always try to be so helpful.

                  --- In huntingtonsatrisk@y..., blondebarber37814 <no_reply@y...>
                  wrote:

> [...]
                  > > when
                  > > > you go to place like the Division of Family Services or
                  churches
                  > if
                  > > > they can not help you ASK them if they know of who can. Never
                  be
                  > > > afraide to ask who else might be out there that we cna get help
                  > > > through. Let me know what State you are in and what is the
                  > closest
                  > > > big town and I might be able to give you addresses of another
                  > > agency
                  > > > that could help in some way or other. I know different states
                  > have
                  > > > different ways to go about things but like I said it never
                  hurts
                  > > > ask.
                  > > >
                  > > > This is all I can think of at this late time tonight. Hang in

                • brwnid_woman
                  Message 8 of 9 , Jul 3, 2002
                    I've actually talked to these people months ago and one never called
                    me back but, you know, I'll try again. Thanks for your help!!! You
                    guys online are all I have and I'm soooo grateful for all of you!!
                    -- In huntingtonsatrisk@y..., susie_que_56 <no_reply@y...> wrote:
                    > Try calling these people and see if they can help you out any.
                    > Anything is worth a try...
                    >
                    > Birmingham Independent Living Center
                    > Dan Kessler
                    > 206 13th Street, South
                    > Brimingham, AL 35233
                    > (205) 251-2223
                    > TTY: (205)-251-2223
                    > FAX: (205) 251-0605
                    > EMAIL: bham@m...
                    >

                    > I know things differ from state to state so call them and see if
                    they
                    > can help you. I know our Independent Living Center was a God send
                    > when Frank was ill. But I also know we have a PAS with our Center
                    in
                    > Missouri that you can hire someone to come to your home and help
                    out.
                    > Matter of fact I am a PAS (personal care attendent) to a 95 year
                    old
                    > woman who is still in her home. I just hope your State has this in
                    > force for you all. I know not all do but I really hoping in your
                    > case.
                    >
                    > Susie
                  • brwnid_woman
                    Message 9 of 9 , Jul 3, 2002
                      Susie que

                      Well, medicaid says he makes tooo much money. If you make over 565.00
                      a month on disability you aren't eligible for medicaid. The social
                      worker says the only other option I have is to call Adult Protective
                      Services and have him placed? Have any of you ever been thru this? I
                      sit here in tears knowing it isn't easy and will he ever understand
                      or forgive me if I have no other choice but, to do this? My heart is
                      breaking so.