Re: HUM_FORUM: Tom Moir's hum recordings?

  • Dave
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 28, 2008
      is perhaps one the harmonic?
      ----- Original Message -----
      Sent: Thursday, February 28, 2008 12:27 PM
      Subject: Re: HUM_FORUM: Tom Moir's hum recordings?

      Moir describes the file as recorded on site.  But when you download and look at the wave file with a digital editor, it is seen to be on two parallel tracks, which is odd.  One is the lower frequency and the other the higher frequency in the sound, both fluctuating in amplitude.  This implies a bit synthesising

      Moir does say that he recorded the sound and describes the equipment used, but......... ..somebody had better ask him.

      Geoff
      ____________ _________ _________ ______

      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 11, 2008
        In a message dated 28/02/2008 18:28:37 GMT Standard Time, geoff@... writes:
        Are Tom Moir's hum recordings real or synthesized? They sound too perfect to be real audio
        recordings, though his web page seems to say they are. I was under the impression there
        were no actual recordings, only simulations.
        http://www.massey. ac.nz/~tjmoir/ hum.html

        I believe I have recorded 'The Hum' many times in South of England,
         using only reasonable quality domestic equipment,
        and later, a D.A.T. recorder, with pretty good microphones.

        I don't know how to upload these recordings to let you all hear them :
        sorry about this  ...  I  still have them, although how to get
        them 'off' the D.A.T. tapes, now I don't have the borrowed DAT recorder...?
        Sorry....would like  people to listen to them,
        to see if they were anything like what they heard in their other locations.

        I think now that I was suffering with that 'Hum' because
        my hearing was being made super-sensitive by benzo-diazepines
        (sleeping tab's and tranquillisers).

        I suspect 'my' nuisance Hum was the background noise,
         the 'residue' that was left after
         all sounds from busy docks and city had travelled out several miles,
         from Southampton, to Romsey, in Southern England.

        I still 'hate' low hums,and want to get away from them, if any appear,
         but feel now I have been free of
        those 'med's' for about 12 years, that I am not quite so
        sensitive as 'back then', when it felt like 'torture',
         and yet hardly anyone else even noticed it.

        But I will never ever be able to forget that dreadful feeling of oppression,
        of being so reduced in health , physically and emotionally,
        that life seemed hardly worth carrying on with,
        that I made this Helpline, once I'd got free of the noise by
        1)moving house ,
         and
        2) giving up the 'med's'

        R.M.
        LFNS Helpline.
        England.
      • coer_12
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 14, 2008
          --- In humforum@yahoogroups.com, Tobypaws2002@... wrote:

          > I believe I have recorded 'The Hum' many times in South of England,
          > using only reasonable quality domestic equipment,
          > and later, a D.A.T. recorder, with pretty good microphones.

          Btw, any luck with those recordings? We so often hear someone may have
          tapes of the hum. How spectacular it would be for you to have a
          recording of it just sitting around gathering dust. :<)

          > I think now that I was suffering with that 'Hum' because
          > my hearing was being made super-sensitive by benzo-diazepines
          > (sleeping tab's and tranquillisers).

          Yes, the pitfalls of modern medicine. It's a shame a harmless placebo
          effect can't be found in something of a more innocuous nature.