Changing Hum - less irritating but more physical sensations

  • hortonhearsahum
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 16, 2004
      The hum has returned for me but it is a gentler, kinder hum these
      days. I don't seem to be hearing the pulsing buzz that I used to be
      able to "tune in" by putting my ear to the pillow. But I still hear
      the low frequency, pervasive hum - although not as intense or
      consistent.

      In addition, I can't believe this but I'm convinced I was feeling bed
      vibrations similar to what Charlotte was describing although not as
      intense.

      I may have even been seeing a whitish-blue pattern a couple of nights
      ago - almost like an infinity sign traced out but viewed from an
      angle - if I had posted right away I would have been much more
      convinced of it than I am now as it seems so absurd when one is
      somewhat removed from it.

      I've also woken up a couple times in the last few nights with quite
      intense pain in two fingers in my right hand where I've been having a
      sort of arthritic type pain on and off for a couple of months. Note
      that I'm 42 years old and have only had minor arthritis-like
      sensations before although it does run in my family.

      Are these things due to the hum? Hard to tell but the subjective
      impression is that there is a connection. Strangely, these latest
      manifestations seem almost friendly to me. With the incessant buzzing
      gone, the hum is much less irritating.

      Horton
    • dreaminglink
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 18, 2004
        Hi, me again...

        I noticed here that you mention bed vibrations! Odd! I've been
        having these for years too but never connected them! I only get
        these during afternoon naps and they're sometimes quite strong.
        Maybe this is only when I notice them, but it's as if something is
        either on the bed with me or something REALLY heavy is moving about
        the room.

        Do you think these things are connected??

        Regards,
        Linda

        --- In humforum@yahoogroups.com, "hortonhearsahum"
        <hortonhearsahum@y...> wrote:
        > The hum has returned for me but it is a gentler, kinder hum these
        > days. I don't seem to be hearing the pulsing buzz that I used to be
        > able to "tune in" by putting my ear to the pillow. But I still hear
        > the low frequency, pervasive hum - although not as intense or
        > consistent.
        >
        > In addition, I can't believe this but I'm convinced I was feeling
        bed
        > vibrations similar to what Charlotte was describing although not as
        > intense.
        >
        > I may have even been seeing a whitish-blue pattern a couple of
        nights
        > ago - almost like an infinity sign traced out but viewed from an
        > angle - if I had posted right away I would have been much more
        > convinced of it than I am now as it seems so absurd when one is
        > somewhat removed from it.
        >
        > I've also woken up a couple times in the last few nights with quite
        > intense pain in two fingers in my right hand where I've been having
        > sort of arthritic type pain on and off for a couple of months. Note
        > that I'm 42 years old and have only had minor arthritis-like
        > sensations before although it does run in my family.
        >
        > Are these things due to the hum? Hard to tell but the subjective
        > impression is that there is a connection. Strangely, these latest
        > manifestations seem almost friendly to me. With the incessant
        buzzing
        > gone, the hum is much less irritating.
        >
        > Horton
      • hortonhearsahum
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 18, 2004
          Hi Linda,

          I'm not ready to make any conclusions yet but others have mentioned
          bed vibrations on this forum - Charlotte immediately comes to mind. I
          was more like you - I'd been feeling them but explaining them away
          with various rationalizations. When others spoke about it then I
          became more open to considering a connection.

          Currently hum free, :-)

          Horton

          --- In humforum@yahoogroups.com, "dreaminglink" <dreaminglink@y...>

        • charlotte mitchell
          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 18, 2004
            Hello Linda & Horton,

            I'm afraid we have to give David all the credit on
            this one. He had mentioned it to me when I first
            started to experience the hum. Its quite funny
            actually, because the bed didnt start to "vibrate"
            until about a wk after he had mentioned it. I felt
            completely nuts when this started, because I still
            couldnt accept what my bed was doing. Infact, I had
            even considered whether or not it was a ghost!

            The hum has been pretty "quiet" lately, but oddly
            enough the bed hasnt! lolol

            Hope all are doing well, and are Hum free :)
            Take care

            Charlotte
            Caledon, Ontario - Canada

            ---------------------------------

            wrote:
            > Hi, me again...
            >
            > I noticed here that you mention bed vibrations!
            Odd! I've been
            > having these for years too but never connected them!
            I only get
            > these during afternoon naps and they're sometimes
            quite strong.
            > Maybe this is only when I notice them, but it's as
            if something is
            > either on the bed with me or something REALLY heavy
            is moving about
            > the room.
            >
            > Do you think these things are connected??
            >
            > Regards,
            > Linda
            >
            > --- In humforum@yahoogroups.com, "hortonhearsahum"
            > <hortonhearsahum@y...> wrote:
            > > The hum has returned for me but it is a gentler,
            kinder hum these
            > > days. I don't seem to be hearing the pulsing buzz
            that I used to
            be
            > > able to "tune in" by putting my ear to the pillow.
            But I still
            hear
            > > the low frequency, pervasive hum - although not as
            intense or
            > > consistent.
            > >
            > > In addition, I can't believe this but I'm
            convinced I was feeling
            > bed
            > > vibrations similar to what Charlotte was
            describing although not
            as
            > > intense.
            > >
            > > I may have even been seeing a whitish-blue pattern
            a couple of
            > nights
            > > ago - almost like an infinity sign traced out but
            viewed from an
            > > angle - if I had posted right away I would have
            been much more
            > > convinced of it than I am now as it seems so
            absurd when one is
            > > somewhat removed from it.
            > >
            > > I've also woken up a couple times in the last few
            nights with
            quite
            > > intense pain in two fingers in my right hand where
            I've been
            having
            > > sort of arthritic type pain on and off for a
            couple of months.
            Note
            > > that I'm 42 years old and have only had minor
            arthritis-like
            > > sensations before although it does run in my
            family.

            > > Are these things due to the hum? Hard to tell but
            the subjective
            > > impression is that there is a connection.
            Strangely, these latest
            > > manifestations seem almost friendly to me. With
            the incessant
            > buzzing
            > > gone, the hum is much less irritating.
            > >
            > > Horton

            Terms of Service.

          • Jean
            Message 5 of 5 , Feb 18, 2004
              wrote:

              > I noticed here that you mention bed vibrations! Odd! I've been
              > having these for years too but never connected them! I only get
              > these during afternoon naps and they're sometimes quite strong.
              > Maybe this is only when I notice them, but it's as if something is
              > either on the bed with me or something REALLY heavy is moving about
              > the room.
              >
              > Do you think these things are connected??

              Not being in your place, it is not possible to tell with certainty,
              but IMHO, yes, they are very probably connected. Come to think of it,
              it should not be really surprising that there is a connection. Even
              in the case of 'ordinary' low frequency sounds/vibrations that can
              easily be identified (i.e. sounds/vibrations _other_ than the Hum),
              such as for example the noise from some heavy machinery running in
              your immediate environment, you can hear the low frequency sound as
              well as feel the vibrations emanating from the source.

              In the case of _the_ Hum (i.e. the characteristic sound/vibration of
              yet unidentified origin that is the topic of this and other discussion
              forums), numerous reports from people affected by it show that
              affected people often hear the low frequency sound as well as feel the
              vibrations. On the website of the German association of persons
              affected by the Hum, it is reported from one of their surveys that
              approximately half the number of persons who can hear the Hum's sound
              can also feel the Hum's vibrations. Some other people only hear the
              sound and do not report feeling the vibrations. Some people sometimes
              feel the vibrations without hearing the sound.
              http://www.igzab.de/English/english.html#WhatDoesTheHumSoundLike

              The hearing of this sound and the feelings of those vibrations are in
              essence unusual things to perceive, and we know that the Hum in
              general is perceived by a small percentage of the general population.
              Therefore, the odds are low that that same small subgroup of the
              population would be affected by two different unusual phenomena that
              would be completely independent and not connected somehow. On the
              contrary the odds are high that it is significant, and not a
              coincidence, that those same persons both hear the characteristic
              sound and feel the characteristic vibrations.

              For what it's worth, the evolution of my personal experience with the
              different aspects of the Hum phenomenon has been as follows:
              1996-2004: Hearing the characteristic low-frequency sound.
              1998-2004: Still hearing the sound and, additionally, feeling the
              vibrations.
              2003-2004: Still hearing the sound. Still feeling the vibrations.
              Addition of a faint higher-pitched 'chorus' sound. Vibrations getting
              on average more intense.

              I now naturally think of the Hum as a vibration/sound. By the way,
              that is why I now prefer to use, most of the time, the expression 'to
              perceive the Hum', since I think this is inclusive of the different
              aspects of the Hum phenomenon, by preference to using the expression
              'to hear the Hum', unless I want to refer specifically to its sound
              aspect.

              Jean Dufresne
              Quebec, QC, Canada