Re: HUM_FORUM: TACAMO Hypothesis, Observations

  • weels
    Message 1 of 29 , Dec 3, 2007
      To me, it SEEMS like an electromagnetic effect of sorts. I don't have
      any good reasons why I feel that way except that I hear two distinctly
      different sounds.
      One is the constant hum and that really doesn't bother me much.
      The other sound is an on and off "pulse" that is active most days, but
      sometimes not. When I hear the pulse type sound, It will begin and go
      for usually a second or two and sometimes a lot more, and usually come
      to an abrupt stop. Then comes a moment of just the background hum, and
      then another pulse. I remember when I first heard the pulse, Which is
      just a bit higher in frequency, I thought for certain a transformer at
      a substation was faulting. I actually took a ride to the closest one
      to me but it wasn't any louder there. The point is, it just sounds
      electrical to me. It's at the right frequency. I hope someday before I
      die, I'll at least find out what it is just out of curiosity. As long
      as it doesn't get any worse I can handle it. I really sympathize with
      the folks that are having a hard time with it. I wish there was a
      solution.
      - TC

      --- In humforum@yahoogroups.com, Susan Schmitt <blue_agate11@...> wrote:

      > Well cell phone towers would make sense but I was hearing this hum
      before cell phones were really prevalent. I've been hearing this
      thing since back in the late 80's early 90's somewhere around 1988 or
      1989. Cell phones were not everday tools that we use like today. The
      only people that could afford to have a cell phone were people that
      had lots of money and they were very large and cumbersome compared to
      the sleek models we have today. I remember the first cell phone I got
      and it was a motorola on a analog band. It looked similar to the
      communicator on Star Trek. I think I first got mobile back in 1995 or
      1996 somewhere around that era. I was hearing the hum then so for me
      personally I don't know if cell phone towers have anything to do with
      it or not. Since all our communications and electronics are based on
      electro-magnets I think it is partly this and all the ley lines that
      surround us naturally working together. All the other things we've
      > been mentioning I think just amplify it at different levels for
      different people. Any thoughts on this?

      > Sue Schmitt

      frequency or carrier wave frequency? Also, do you have any more
      information about the nature of the electromagnetic wave
      transmissions. Any data that you have might be useful. Incidentally,
      when you quote the power of transmissions and compare with other
      sources, remember that the gain of the antenna is as important as the
      power put into the antenna. For example, radar antennas, such as
      those at the Grissom Air Force Reserve base near Kokomo and those used
      at large civilian airports such as O'Hare near Chicago radiate
      megawatts of effective radiated power in specific directions because
      of their high gain. Whether there are transmitting radars aboard
      TACAMO planes, I don't know. Also when you consider the typical gain
      of cell phone base station antennas, 60 watts power input becomes more
      than 4,000 watts in specific directions (Effective Isotropic Radiated
      Power).

      > The reason I still hold onto the possibility that cell towers may
      be a significant factor in explaining at least some aspects of the
      ubiquitous Hum is because the pulsing pattern of the most prevalent
      cellular phone system in the world (GSM) resonates with human brain
      waves and, in some as yet unpublished experiments carried out in
      Austria, has even been shown to change human brain waves in both
      radiation density measurements and electroencephalogra ph (EEG)
      measurements. I realize that the argument is often made that cellular
      phone systems have not been around long enough, but I ask how many
      other RF systems that have been around for much longer times are
      capable of pulsing at brain wave frequencies? I don't know the answer.

      _________ _________ _________ _________ ___|

      > on 12/2/07 2:57 PM, David Deming at profdeming@earthlin k.net wrote:
      >

      > YES.

    • Curry Cook
      Message 2 of 29 , Dec 4, 2007
        same here with the two different sounds. the "pulse"
        one is like the truck idling in the driveway. the
        other is the "blowing across a soda bottle" sound.
        fortunately, the last few days/nights, it's been the
        pulse which does stop from time to time.

        === message truncated ===

        Looking for last minute shopping deals?
      • Dave at Yaahoo
        Message 3 of 29 , Dec 4, 2007
          Last night I heard a NEW sound (new for me, at least), which was
          definitely in ADDITION to the hum.

          When I put my head on the pillow, I suddenly heard what could best
          be described as wind blowing through caves. It was bizarre... and
          lasted until I fell asleep.

          -dave
          northwestern connecticut, USA

          --- Curry Cook <vabinky@...> wrote:

          > same here with the two different sounds. the "pulse"
          > one is like the truck idling in the driveway. the
          > other is the "blowing across a soda bottle" sound.
          > fortunately, the last few days/nights, it's been the
          > pulse which does stop from time to time.
        • Carole
          Message 4 of 29 , Dec 4, 2007

            Has anyone else had trouble sleeping the past two nights, feeling uncomfortably hot despite the cold weather?  (Not what you're thinking, I'm well past that stage of life...)

            :-)

            Carole

            --- Curry Cook <vabinky@yahoo. com> wrote:

            > same here with the two different sounds. the "pulse"
            > one is like the truck idling in the driveway. the
            > other is the "blowing across a soda bottle" sound.
            > fortunately, the last few days/nights, it's been the
            > pulse which does stop from time to time.

          • skeptichearer
            Message 5 of 29 , Dec 4, 2007
              I'm reposting, see note below.
              Hi Weels,

              I'M PLEASED THAT YOU HEAR TWO SOUNDS. The reason is that I hear two
              tones too, a constant one and a pulsating one. I begun to notice a
              continuous tone (in addition to my old pulsating one) not so long
              back, not more than a couple of months ago. MAYBE I focused on it
              after making tests with a 440 Hz tuning fork in order to tune my
              perception of the hum, and REALLY I don't know whether this
              additional constant tone was present in the past. I've been prudent
              on reporting that to the forum, because I thought of possible
              autosuggestion. But your description of what you hear matches very
              well what I hear, including the duration of pulses and abrupt stops.
              So now for me the pulsating tone, when present, is always
              accompained with the constant tone, and at present time I'm unable
              to say if this latter is present even when the other one is absent.
              The only difference between your description and my perception is
              that my pulsating tone has a lower pitch as compared to the other
              one.
              Where are you located?
              Since now I will always indicate my location at the end of my posts.

              In answer to Pete, my constant tone is around A4 (440 Hz) and the
              pulsating one is around E4 (330). Notice that 440 and 330 are in
              harmonic correlation, and may have a common root at 27.5 or 55 Hz.
              I'm quite sure that in the past the (pulsating) tone was higher for
              me as I made tests with a lab signal generator.

              Antonio, South Italy

              Note: I've already posted a similar message using another identity
              by mistake, and I don't know if it will appear here, so I'm going to
              repost it.

              -- In humforum@yahoogroups.com, "weels" <weels@...> wrote:

              > To me, it SEEMS like an electromagnetic effect of sorts. I don't
              have
              > any good reasons why I feel that way except that I hear two
              distinctly
              > different sounds.
              > One is the constant hum and that really doesn't bother me much.
              > The other sound is an on and off "pulse" that is active most days,
              but
              > sometimes not. When I hear the pulse type sound, It will begin and
              go
              > for usually a second or two and sometimes a lot more, and usually
              come
              > to an abrupt stop. Then comes a moment of just the background hum,
              and
              > then another pulse. I remember when I first heard the pulse, Which
              is
              > just a bit higher in frequency, I thought for certain a
              transformer at
              > a substation was faulting. I actually took a ride to the closest
              one
              > to me but it wasn't any louder there. The point is, it just sounds
              > electrical to me. It's at the right frequency. I hope someday
              before I
              > die, I'll at least find out what it is just out of curiosity. As
              long
              > as it doesn't get any worse I can handle it. I really sympathize
              with
              > the folks that are having a hard time with it. I wish there was a
              > solution.
              > - TC
            • Curry Cook
              Message 6 of 29 , Dec 4, 2007
                my pulsating one also has a lower pitch than the
                constant one. i've heard the pulsating for probably a
                couple of years; the constant one is much more recent.
                i don't hear them at the same time. i'm in tucson,
                arizona.

              • weels
                Message 7 of 29 , Dec 4, 2007
                  Curry,
                  that's funny you called it "blowing across a soda bottle". It does
                  indeed sound like that to me sometimes except when it has the abrupt
                  stops. When that first started bugging me a couple months ago, I
                  actually went up on the roof one night and plugged the sewer vent pipe
                  with a plastic bag. Needless to say....
                  - TC

                  --- In humforum@yahoogroups.com, Curry Cook <vabinky@...> wrote:

> [...]
                  > > were people that
                  > > had lots of money and they were very large and
                  > > cumbersome compared to
                  > > the sleek models we have today. I remember the
                  > > first cell phone I got
                  > > and it was a motorola on a analog band. It looked
                  > > similar to the
                  > > communicator on Star Trek. I think I first got
                  > > mobile back in 1995 or
                  > > 1996 somewhere around that era. I was hearing the
                  > > hum then so for me
                  > > personally I don't know if cell phone towers have
                  > > anything to do with
                  > > it or not. Since all our communications and
                  > > electronics are based on
                  > > electro-magnets I think it is partly this and all
                  > > the ley lines that
                  > > surround us naturally working together. All the
                  > > other things we've
                  > > > been mentioning I think just amplify it at

                • weels
                  Message 8 of 29 , Dec 4, 2007
                    Carole,
                    yup. Both nights.
                    My neck is messed up w/ arthritis though so I figured it was because
                    of that. You feel there might be a tie?
                    -TC
                  • weels
                    Message 9 of 29 , Dec 4, 2007
                      Hello Antonio.
                      I live in Northern New York State. Interesting topics these hums.
                      Aren't they?
                      I get more confused every evening when I read these posts.
                      I think you have a good idea there to post your location with your
                      sign. I'll try to remember to do the same.
                      Thanks for the reply.
                      - TC (Northern NY State)

                      --- In humforum@yahoogroups.com, "skeptichearer" <skeptichearer@...>
                      wrote:

> [...]
                      > come
                      > > to an abrupt stop. Then comes a moment of just the background hum,
                      > and
                      > > then another pulse. I remember when I first heard the pulse, Which
                      > is
                      > > just a bit higher in frequency, I thought for certain a
                      > transformer at
                      > > a substation was faulting. I actually took a ride to the closest
                      > one
                      > > to me but it wasn't any louder there. The point is, it just sounds
                      > > electrical to me. It's at the right frequency. I hope someday
                      > before I
                      > > die, I'll at least find out what it is just out of curiosity. As
                      > long
                      > > as it doesn't get any worse I can handle it. I really sympathize
                      > with
                      > > the folks that are having a hard time with it. I wish there was a

                    • Selene
                      Message 10 of 29 , Dec 4, 2007
                        Not sure...  Another friend who sometimes hears the hum had a similar problem Sunday night, but not last night.  Just seeing if there's any chance it might be related.

                        Carole

                        Message 11 of 29 , Dec 4, 2007
                          Actually, we used to include our locations with every post, but that stopped somewhere along the way, maybe with the advent of the "frappr.com" map...  (I don't really care for that map -- with all those markers, I found it hard to read.)  Anyway, for those of you who are new or who don't remember, I'm in Central California.  Still.  Hoping to move elsewhere, but don't see it happening quite yet...     :-(

                          Carole

                          wrote:

> [...]
                          > come
                          > > to an abrupt stop. Then comes a moment of just the background hum,
                          > and
                          > > then another pulse. I remember when I first heard the pulse, Which
                          > is
                          > > just a bit higher in frequency, I thought for certain a
                          > transformer at
                          > > a substation was faulting. I actually took a ride to the closest
                          > one
                          > > to me but it wasn't any louder there. The point is, it just sounds
                          > > electrical to me. It's at the right frequency. I hope someday
                          > before I
                          > > die, I'll at least find out what it is just out of curiosity. As
                          > long
                          > > as it doesn't get any worse I can handle it. I really sympathize
                          > with
                          > > the folks that are having a hard time with it. I wish there was a

                        • Curry Cook
                          Message 12 of 29 , Dec 4, 2007
                            that description of "blowing across a soda bottle"
                            wasn't actually mine. somebody here used it a week or
                            so ago and i thought it was absolutely perfect for the
                            sound i hear.

                            === message truncated ===

                            http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs
                          • Susan Schmitt
                            Message 13 of 29 , Dec 6, 2007
                              I think that's a good idea Carole.  I too did the frapper map and figured that was it so I will start adding my location.

                              Sue Schmitt
                              Germantown, Montgomery County, Maryland
                              USA

                              wrote:

> [...]
                              > come
                              > > to an abrupt stop. Then comes a moment of just the background hum,
                              > and
                              > > then another pulse. I remember when I first heard the pulse, Which
                              > is
                              > > just a bit higher in frequency, I thought for certain a
                              > transformer at
                              > > a substation was faulting. I actually took a ride to the closest
                              > one
                              > > to me but it wasn't any louder there. The point is, it just sounds
                              > > electrical to me. It's at the right frequency. I hope someday
                              > before I
                              > > die, I'll at least find out what it is just out of curiosity. As
                              > long
                              > > as it doesn't get any worse I can handle it. I really sympathize
                              > with
                              > > the folks that are having a hard time with it. I wish there was a

                            • Susan Schmitt
                              Message 14 of 29 , Dec 6, 2007
                                Hi All:  I never thought that I was having two hums but when I actually think about it yea I have the high pitched whining overlaying the regular thrum of an engine that goes on 24/7 and sometimes the high pitched whining is the loudest and sometimes the engine thrum.

                                --- skeptichearer <skeptichearer@ yahoo.com> wrote:

                                > I'm reposting, see note below.
                                > Hi Weels,
                                >
                                > I'M PLEASED THAT YOU HEAR TWO SOUNDS. The reason is
                                > that I hear two
                                > tones too, a constant one and a pulsating one. I
                                > begun to notice a
                                > continuous tone (in addition to my old pulsating
                                > one) not so long
                                > back, not more than a couple of months ago. MAYBE I
                                > focused on it
                                > after making tests with a 440 Hz tuning fork in
                                > order to tune my
                                > perception of the hum, and REALLY I don't know

                                whether this
                                > additional constant tone was present in the past.
                                > I've been prudent
                                > on reporting that to the forum, because I thought of
                                > possible
                                > autosuggestion. But your description of what you
                                > hear matches very
                                > well what I hear, including the duration of pulses
                                > and abrupt stops.
                                > So now for me the pulsating tone, when present, is
                                > always
                                > accompained with the constant tone, and at present
                                > time I'm unable
                                > to say if this latter is present even when the other
                                > one is absent.
                                > The only difference between your description and my
                                > perception is
                                > that my pulsating tone has a lower pitch as compared
                                > to the other
                                > one.
                                > Where are you located?
                                > Since now I will always indicate my location at the
                                > end of my posts.
                                >
                                > In answer to Pete, my constant tone is around A4
                                > (440
                                Hz) and the
                                > pulsating one is around E4 (330). Notice that 440
                                > and 330 are in
                                > harmonic correlation, and may have a common root at
                                > 27.5 or 55 Hz.
                                > I'm quite sure that in the past the (pulsating) tone
                                > was higher for
                                > me as I made tests with a lab signal generator.
                                >
                                > Antonio, South Italy
                                >
                                > Note: I've already posted a similar message using
                                > another identity
                                > by mistake, and I don't know if it will appear here,
                                > so I'm going to
                                > repost it.
                                >

                                > -- In humforum@yahoogroup s.com, "weels" <weels@...>
                                > wrote:
                                > >
                                > > To me, it SEEMS like an electromagnetic effect of
                                > sorts. I don't
                                > have
                                > > any good reasons why I feel that way except that I
                                > hear
                                two
                                > distinctly
                                > > different sounds.
                                > > One is the constant hum and that really doesn't
                                > bother me much.
                                > > The other sound is an on and off "pulse" that is
                                > active most days,
                                > but
                                > > sometimes not. When I hear the pulse type sound,
                                > It will begin and
                                > go
                                > > for usually a second or two and sometimes a lot
                                > more, and usually
                                > come
                                > > to an abrupt stop. Then comes a moment of just the
                                > background hum,
                                > and
                                > > then another pulse. I remember when I first heard
                                > the pulse, Which
                                > is
                                > > just a bit higher in frequency, I thought for
                                > certain a
                                > transformer at
                                > > a substation was faulting. I actually took a ride
                                > to the closest
                                > one
                                > > to me but it wasn't any louder there. The point
                                > is, it just sounds
                                > > electrical to me. It's
                                at the right frequency. I
                                > hope someday
                                > before I
                                > > die, I'll at least find out what it is just out of
                                > curiosity. As
                                > long
                                > > as it doesn't get any worse I can handle it. I
                                > really sympathize
                                > with
                                > > the folks that are having a hard time with it. I
                                > wish there was a
                                > > solution.
                                > > - TC

                                with Yahoo Mobile. Try it now. http://mobile. yahoo.com/ sports;_ylt= At9_qDKvtAbMuh1G 1SQtBI7ntAcJ

                              • Susan Schmitt
                                Message 15 of 29 , Dec 6, 2007
                                  Hi Carole:  No I haven't been hot (and I've gone thru that too LOL!).  I had a brief respite on Sunday but it's back again with a vengence.  I just love it when your family looks at you like your nuts when you tell them about this hum to see if they are hearing it.

                                  Message 16 of 29 , Dec 6, 2007
                                    Hi All:  My whining sound is actually kind of what you hear when the ear doctors use a tuning fork on you that kind of whine.  That is overlying my usual engine thrum.

                                    Message 17 of 29 , Dec 6, 2007
                                      I didn't say anything for years, figured if I mentioned it I'd just be told to get my ears (or my head) examined!  Imagine how surprised I was, then, when I finally did mention it and discovered that my mother hears it too!  The fact that we both noticed it at the same time last night when it suddenly got louder tells me we're hearing something external.

                                      Carole

                                      Message 18 of 29 , Dec 6, 2007
                                        For years I was convinced the whining noise was just my wife.
                                        Then I realized she thinks I'm nuts and doesn't talk to me any way.
                                        Sorry. - couldn't resist.
                                        - TC ( Northern NY)

                                        Message 19 of 29 , Dec 6, 2007
                                          It must be kind of a bittersweet feeling when you find out that
                                          someone you know and care about can actually hear it too.
                                          One part of you must feel glad or relieved that at least that person
                                          won't look at you funny, and now you have some one other than us
                                          people on the forum to discuss it with.
                                          The other side of you must feel a little sad to know that a loved one
                                          will also suffer this annoyance.
                                          - TC ( Northern NY)

                                          --- In humforum@yahoogroups.com, "Selene" <CcSelene7@...> wrote:

                                          > I didn't say anything for years, figured if I mentioned it I'd just
                                          be told to get my ears (or my head) examined! Imagine how surprised I
                                          was, then, when I finally did mention it and discovered that my mother
                                          hears it too! The fact that we both noticed it at the same time last
                                          night when it suddenly got louder tells me we're hearing something
                                          external.

                                          > Carole

                                          Search.

                                        • Susan Schmitt
                                          Message 20 of 29 , Dec 6, 2007
                                            That is most logical to assume that.  My hubby thinks I'm imagining it too so I don't say to much about it to him.

                                            Sue Schmitt
                                            Germantown, Montgomery County, Maryland
                                            USA

                                            I didn't say anything for years, figured if I mentioned it I'd just be told to get my ears (or my head) examined!  Imagine how surprised I was, then, when I finally did mention it and discovered that my mother hears it too!  The fact that we both noticed it at the same time last night when it suddenly got louder tells me we're hearing something external.

                                            Carole

                                            Has anyone else had trouble sleeping the past two nights, feeling uncomfortably hot despite the cold weather?  (Not what you're thinking, I'm well past that stage of life...)

                                            :-)

                                            Carole

                                            Last night I heard a NEW sound (new for me, at least), which was
                                            definitely in ADDITION to the hum.

                                            When I put my head on the pillow, I suddenly heard what could best
                                            be described as wind blowing through caves. It was bizarre... and
                                            lasted until I fell asleep.

                                            -dave
                                            northwestern connecticut, USA

                                            --- Curry Cook <vabinky@yahoo. com> wrote:

                                            > same here with the two different sounds. the "pulse"
                                            > one is like the truck idling in the driveway. the
                                            > other is the "blowing across a soda bottle" sound.
                                            > fortunately, the last few days/nights, it's been the
                                            > pulse which does stop from time to time.

                                          • coatesmargaret
                                            Message 21 of 29 , Dec 6, 2007
                                              Hi Carole, I'm convinced it's an external sound too. There's been enough people who have
                                              heard it in this town and in this house. At least four neighbours heard a hum, but at a
                                              level that didn't bother them. I usually suggest they don't listen for it, 'cos I think giving it
                                              lots of attention just enhances your ability to notice it. A hum hearer who lives a distance
                                              away hummed the sound they heard over the telephone and it was the same E nat as what
                                              I was hearing.

                                              My brother didn't hear the hum but felt the vibrations in the spare bedroom as did a friend
                                              who stayed here. That's enough proof for me that the hum at least here, is an external
                                              sound. Maybe there might be factors of biology that predispose some of us to hear it at a
                                              more irritating level but that doesn't mean the sound is internal. Just our bad luck that we
                                              happen to be able to hear it. Maggie

                                              ----

                                            • Susan Schmitt
                                              Message 22 of 29 , Dec 7, 2007
                                                Yes TC I kind of liken it to my poor hubby now experiencing constant back pain like I am.  He's never really been sick much in his whole life.  He has epilepsy and doesn't let it keep him down.  This past March he was struck by a car while he was in the crosswalk with a walk signal.  He wound up going thru the windshield and rolled off the hood and fell between the median and the car.  On this particular road you have to get to the median and wait for another walk signal.  This man gets up, shakes himself off basically goes man that hurt then tries to go to work!  Unfortunately now he is suffering from back pain and I have constant back pain myself from an injury.  He never gave me much credence for my pain being the stalwart person he is his motto is ignore it and it will go away.  Now he has pain like me and while I would never want to inflict that on any person yes it is bittersweet when a loved one can actually empathize with you.  On one hand you're glad because they know what you have been trying to tell them and on the other you don't want them to be suffering too.