Central New York

  • weels
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 28, 2007
      I just joined this group.
      Started noticing this about a month or two ago. Thought it was
      something in the house. Turned off main breaker - nope. Climbed up on
      the roof and plugged plumbing vents. - Nope!
      Went hunting out in the woods about a mile from our house the other
      day and heard it there too. Began thinking I'm nuts or defective or
      whatever.
      It's nice to know I'm in good company.
      After reading descriptions of the phenomenon from the early 1800's I
      guess I can rule out cell towers, nuke plant generators, High current
      transmission lines and most other man made candidates. I'm inclined to
      believe it's the sound of the earth or a by product of what makes the
      world go-round etc.
      This will be fun if I have to listen to it the rest of my life. Maybe
      we can get marijuana legalized to treat us hum sufferers. HA!
      Take care all. I hear your pain.
      - TC
    • Selene
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 28, 2007
        Where did you read these descriptions from the early 1800s?  I'd like to read those...

        Carole

        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 29, 2007
          I've been googling the topic the last couple days and in a couple sites that talked about it there has been references of people hearing something back then. It kind of screws up a conspiracy theory doesn't it? Try a search for "the hum" or "humming noise" if you go through a few pages, you should find what I did.
          - TC

          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 30, 2007
            Yes I would be interested in reading those early accounts.  I didn't start reading about the hum till I saw a program called Unsolved Mysteries.  With the advent of the internet finally reaching my household and wireless connections LOL! I now have a great research tool and have been reading up on all kinds of things that "could" be causing this issue.  I just read one e-mail about high EMF's too.  I've already eliminated that problem from my house by checking everything out with my EMF meter.  EMF meters are not cheap to come by.  The meter I got many years ago cost me around $80 and it's just a basic one that gives generalalities not exact readings.  I would love to get a tri-field meter but they run around $120 and a bit out of my price range.  Oh and one area that I really hear the hum is at my brother's house and my Dad's.  My immediate family moved to a little town by the name of Rock Hall Maryland and it is on the Eastern Shore of Maryland.  My brother's back yard is the Chesapeake Bay and there is all that shipping traffic out there.  I get a real loud hum when I go visit them almost as badly as when I go to visit my husband's family in New Mexico.  They live about 100 miles or so from Taos and I really got ill from the hum the last time I visited with my hubby's family.

            Sue Schmitt