Re: HUM_FORUM: Re: I've lost my Hum

  • Curry Cook
    Message 1 of 21 , Oct 12, 2007
      i've heard it while sitting in the car in the garage,
      but i've never heard it totally outdoors. i was in
      colorado last weekend, and when i came back to tucson
      on monday, it seemed exceptionally loud. now it's
      back to its usual level, the old diesel in the
      driveway.

      http://sims.yahoo.com/
    • mack_colin
      Message 2 of 21 , Oct 12, 2007
        --- In humforum@yahoogroups.com, "skeptichearer" <skeptichearer@...>
        wrote:....Yes, I hear it indoors, and sometimes it would seem that the
        loudness, it is not constant from room to room. Anyway it is bearable
        and doesn't contitute a problem for me.Indeed a FEW TIMES I heard it
        outdoors, but very weak, and being in the vicinity of walls.>>>

        That interesting, I have only heard it outside once, as I had my back
        to a large concrete seawall, and I heard the hum faintly.

        Also within the house, the noise differs depending on the room
        dimensions and layout. A large room is not quite as noisy, but a long
        narrow corridor is very noisy.

        Cheers COlin, West coast Scotland
      • A &J M
        Message 3 of 21 , Oct 13, 2007

          For me, I think the background noise outside drowns out the hum, much like a fan does inside.  I only hear it in the wilderness areas outside (almost always).

          It's been pretty noticeable the last few days in the evening/night.  Typical for fall-winter for me (no fans, A/C, house closed up, etc.)

          Arne
          Central MN, USA

          ________________________________

            Message 5 of 21 , Oct 13, 2007
              I hear it indoors and outdoors. It's loudest when I drive into the garage and switch off the
              motor. I don't hear it when I'm by the sea, except when I sit in the car with doors and
              windows shut. Maggie.

              [mailto:humforum@yahoogroups.com<humforum@yahoogroups.com>]
              > > On Behalf Of mack_colin
              > >

              > > One of the main characterists to tell that you have the hum other than
              > > some normal noise, is the indoor/outdoor phenomena.
              > >
              > > If you hear the hum indoors, all you have to do is go outdoors and you
              > > do not hear it, then step back in the door and its there again, as
              > > though the rooms amplify the hum. Total weird is the word for it.
              > >
              > > PS... before someone says I hear it outdoors too, well, I am talking
              > > about the majority of us, and not the few who are soo sensitive to the
              > > hum they hear it oudoors as well.

            • Kristin
              Message 6 of 21 , Oct 14, 2007
                The hum has been with me on a continual basis since 1993 and, while
                it is often louder and more annoying when inside, I can hear it
                everywhere and have actually experienced it to be the loudest when
                in isolated mountain locations. In one instance, while camping in
                the Canadian Rockies, I had to pack it out and leave because the hum
                was so loud it was making me crazy. I think it's easier for people
                to ignore it when outside because of ambient noise, but I'm pretty
                sure that if you're really hearing the hum and you tune in to it,
                you will be able to hear it outside as well as inside - not that I
                wish that on anyone! I've wondered a lot about the phenomenon of
                hearing the hum in the wilderness - aside from the lack of ambient
                noise, it does cause one to wonder about its source....is the planet
                so utterly noise polluted that the quieter our surroundings are, the
                easier it is for rampantly proliferating lfn to reach us - even if
                there isn't a manmade source for 50 miles in any direction? Is it
                coming up from the earth? Down from the atmosphere? From our
                planet's movement through space? From orbiting satellites, cell
                phone towers, microwaves, radio frequencies, military lfn
                transmissions? Billions of automobiles, trucks, aircraft, sonar-
                emitting boats, submarines, warships? Factories, shopping malls,
                office complexes, apartment buildings, houses with their fans,
                blowers, compressors, refridgeration, etc., etc. Really, with all
                the noise we create in pursuing our modern lifestyle, the real
                wonder is that everyone isn't hearing some version of the hum.
                While I'd like to believe that the source is some natural, cosmic
                emmanation, when I stand at the top of Hurricane Ridge looking out
                over the Puget Sound and am practically bowled over by the intensity
                of the hum coming up to meet me, it becomes difficult to ignore the
                probability that we've done this to ourselves and happen to be
                unfortunate enough to have the sensitivity to hear it. On the other
                hand, perhaps being aware of the magnitude of the problem, we are
                being called upon to take action on behalf of ourselves, humanity
                and the planet. It's another perspective.

                P.S. In response to the woman who mentioned that she could hear the
                hum through earplugs - my acid test is this....stick your fingers in
                your ears and if the hum goes away, it is externally generated. If
                you still hear it, there is a good liklihood that you are
                experiencing low frequency tinnitus. You might also try beeswax
                earplugs....they do seem to work, at least to some extent.
                > ________________________________
                >
                > From: humforum@yahoogroups.com [mailto:humforum@yahoogroups.com]
                On Behalf

                Message 7 of 21 , Oct 16, 2007
                  In a message dated 14/10/2007 22:41:34 GMT Standard Time, kmaripo@... writes:
                  P.S. In response to the woman who mentioned that she could hear the
                  hum through earplugs - my acid test is this....stick your fingers in
                  your ears and if the hum goes away, it is externally generated. If
                  you still hear it, there is a good liklihood that you are
                  experiencing low frequency tinnitus. You might also try beeswax
                  earplugs.... they do seem to work, at least to some extent.
                  The only caution I have to suggest is that low frequency noise could still enter
                  via the soft tissues of the head, i.e., mouth, neck....one cannot expect
                  to block a sound with a  long wavelength by inhibiting it on one side, as it were,
                   because it will get in elsewhere.....
                  Just trying to help...
                  R.M.
                  LFNS Helpline, England.
                • skeptichearer
                  Message 8 of 21 , Oct 28, 2007
                    Two days ago at wake up it seemed that my hum (?) was weakly present.
                    Yesterday I heard sporadic bursts. Last night it was present but weak
                    (sometimes in the past it has been louder for me).

                    To Pete:

                    yes. I agree, it is not easy to distinguish between E3 E4 E5, due to
                    harmonics, Anyway, just a few days before receiving your comments I
                    made a test generating E2 E3 E4 and E5 in the PC's speaker, and I
                    would say that my basic tone is around E5, although the tone is quite
                    dirty and pulsating. I made the test based on my memory of the tone,
                    and I will repeat it should the tone be again present more
                    continuously (the original test I made years ago was made using a lab
                    grade audio generator (sinusoidal output, virtually no harmonics) by
                    direct comparison with the heard tone).
                    The test to force myself to tune on, using a reference signal, didn't
                    work for me.

                    To R.M.

                    most of the LFN is surely the residual of any kind of man made noises,
                    after a low-fass filtering operated by the travel path. It seems to me
                    this is not the case for me. I lived 20 Km from Naples up to late
                    2006, ok, much man made noise, and now I live in a small town (< 5000
                    people) on the other coast of Italy. The next town (some 5000 people
                    too) is 10 Km apart. Ther are no industries here, and my noise, when
                    present, is the same as near Naples.

                    Regards,
                    Antonio Iovane

                    wrote:

                    > Here, South Italy, my hum is absent since last June. I've neither
                    > heard it in two other locations in which I heard it in the past.
                    > I would recall that my hum is high pitched (600-700 Hz) and
                    > intermittent (morse-code type).
                    > Regards,
                    > Antonio Iovane

                  • peter taylor-wood
                    Message 9 of 21 , Oct 30, 2007
[...]

                        Hi Antonio. Could I ask you to check that you are not also hearing A4. It was many years before I was able to notice that the hum is in fact a chord. I am interested that you could not tune into the Hum when it was not apparent because I can`t understand why it comes and goes for some and not others.
                       All the best Pete.

                    • Carole
                      Message 10 of 21 , Oct 30, 2007

                        Speaking of hums that come and go, the hum I heard about a year and a half ago with my right ear, which had subsequently stopped, is back with a vengeance.  I was thinking it might have something to do with harvesting equipment, but after searching the archives I found posts about it dated June of 2006, which was probably about the time I last heard it.  So much for the harvesting equipment idea!  I usually only hear it late at night, anyway.

                        Carole

                        Message 11 of 21 , Oct 30, 2007
                          Hi Pete,
                          I will check with an A4 tuning fork, it's easy. In this moment I
                          don't hear the hum, and I've just been hearing the tuning fork: it
                          seems that the hum has a higher pitch. Anyway I will check and will
                          let you know.
                          Regarding the fact that I can't tune into the hum, I would remind
                          that my hum is intermittent: I should get tuned by the hum itself
                          and it should not pause; instead, it is intermittent.
                          Regards,
                          Antonio

                          --- In humforum@yahoogroups.com, peter taylor-wood