The Noise

  • supercool1955
    Message 1 of 10 , Aug 1, 2007
      I have gotten pro active about this hum.

      Since it keeps me awake at night I have used the time to try to track
      it to it's origin.

      First, I complained to the local police that a restaurant nearby is
      using diesel generators to keep food frozen and that the noise is
      traveling underground.

      I also complained that a nearby house had a subwoofer and was
      disturbing the peace after 10PM.

      That was a week ago.

      I wrote a letter to my next door neighbor, telling him of this Hum and
      I asked him to stop it, if he is doing it.

      The last two nights had almost no hum for the first time in years!

      There was some occasional hum, but it was not enough to prevent sleeping.

      The noise has gone from about 60 decibels to about 5 db!

      This is progress! I do not know which source it is, but my complaints
      seems to be paying off.

      Could it be the restaurants generators, which may be illegal to run?

      Could it be a kid playing music?

      Could it be my next door neighbor's clunky old refrigerator freezer?

      I still want to know!
    • chilesgreen
      Message 2 of 10 , Aug 1, 2007
        If you are hearing the Hum, it will seem to get louder if you wear
        attenuators or put earplugs in your ears. The attenuators and ear
        plugs can only block ambient noise but not the hum. The Hum is not a
        real sound but a perceived sound.

        The perceived sound comes from your inner ear. The Inner ear is used
        by the brain for balance and senses gravity.

        The source of the Hum is gravity waves emitted from charged particles
        (solar flux) streaming past the earth at high speed. The trajectory
        stream of these high speed particles is modulated by the earths power
        grid, which apparently projects thousands of miles out into space. The
        mass of vibrating charged particles sends a modulated gravity wave
        back to earth, that we perceive as a hum.

        There's no known way to block gravity waves.

        http://homepages.tesco.net/~John.Dawes2/gravity.htm
      • peter taylor-wood
        Message 3 of 10 , Aug 2, 2007
          --- In humforum@yahoogroups.com, "chilesgreen" <chilesgreen@...> wrote:

          > If you are hearing the Hum, it will seem to get louder if you wear
          > attenuators or put earplugs in your ears. The attenuators and ear
          > plugs can only block ambient noise but not the hum. The Hum is not a
          > real sound but a perceived sound.
          >
          > The perceived sound comes from your inner ear. The Inner ear is used
          > by the brain for balance and senses gravity.
          >
          > The source of the Hum is gravity waves emitted from charged particles
          > (solar flux) streaming past the earth at high speed. The trajectory
          > stream of these high speed particles is modulated by the earths power
          > grid, which apparently projects thousands of miles out into space. The
          > mass of vibrating charged particles sends a modulated gravity wave
          > back to earth, that we perceive as a hum.
          >
          > There's no known way to block gravity waves.
          >
          > http://homepages.tesco.net/~John.Dawes2/gravity.htm

          Hi, Chilesgreen. I was wondering what you think about Dr Tom Moirs
          recording of the Hum and all the other recordings. I have found that if I hum
          the note I perceive to a non-hearer then they can not only hear the Hum but
          describe it`s qualitys. Many of the forum seem to agree that the Moir recording
          is pretty much what they hear especialy in respect of the bumping or bounsing
          aspect. It seems very important to register just what sound we are hearing so
          that we can begin to agree on what we hear. I agree that the main aspect of
          what I hear is Eflat 4 and it seems,as you sugest, to come down from space.
          But recently I heard the Hum in a deep tunnel under a mountain and I also
          heard C2 {thats where it occours on the piano] very loud and it seemed to be
          comming up and from the rock itself. I have heared many ideas about the
          Hum but as mine is definately accoustic and pretty much universal, at the
          moment I am going with the sound of the ocean which produses ELFs 6
          octaves bellow C1 but I think we might be able to detect the harmonics.

          All the best to you Pete from West Wales
        • Auntie Sal
          Message 4 of 10 , Aug 2, 2007
            Hi Pete

            But what of those who are a very long way from the sea?

            Message 5 of 10 , Aug 3, 2007
              Re: HUM_FORUM:   Re: The Noise Hi folks,

                 The suggested explanation for the Hum stated in the post below suffers from several logic weaknesses:  1) Gravitational waves are extremely weak in contrast with the fields that consitute electromagnetic waves - so weak that huge detectors (weighing tons) are required to be able to measure them.  2)  At the altitudes at which solar flux is unimpeded by the earth's atmosphere, the electric and magnetic fields (not waves) emanating from the power grid on earth will have diminished so much with distance that they would very likely have almost no effect on the motion of the high energy charged particles of the solar flux, which you consider to be the source of significant gravitational waves.  3)  Further, those fields emanating from the power grid have no direct effect on gravitational waves themselves.  Thus, your assumption of gravitational waves being modulated by the earth's power grid does not seem reasonable to me.  To use a devil's advocate type of argument, suppose that you are right and there exists some way to modulate the gravitational wave stream, the modulated waves would diminish in amplitude like the reciprocal of the square of the distance between the origin points of the waves and the earth surface.  These weakened modulated waves wouldn't even register on a gravitational wave detector on earth, because of all the other objects near us that have gravitational fields associated with them.  To put all this in perspective, note that gravitational waves strong enough to be detectable are typically emitted by cosmic events, like the collapse of the cores of stars when supernovae occur.

                     Incidentally, over the years John Dawes has advocated several different pet explanations for the Hum until someone else pointed out inconsistencies and sometimes outright contradictions in his arguments.  One of his favorite topics used to be the worldwide Loran-C navigation network.  Now he doesn't claim that is the source of the Hum, but he did at one time.

              Regards, Bill Curry
              Retried physicist and occasional consultant

              on 8/1/07 11:17 PM, chilesgreen at chilesgreen@... wrote:

              If you are hearing the Hum, it will seem to get louder if you wear
              attenuators or put earplugs in your ears.  The attenuators and ear
              plugs can only block ambient noise but not the hum.  The Hum is not a
              real sound but a perceived sound.

              The perceived sound comes from your inner ear. The Inner ear is used
              by the brain for balance and senses gravity.

              The source of the Hum is gravity waves emitted from charged particles
              (solar flux) streaming past the earth at high speed.  The trajectory
              stream of these high speed particles is modulated by the earths power
              grid, which apparently projects thousands of miles out into space. The
              mass of vibrating charged particles sends a modulated gravity wave
              back to earth, that we perceive as a hum.

              There's no known way to block gravity waves.

              http://homepages.tesco.net/~John.Dawes2/gravity.htm

            • A &J M
              Message 6 of 10 , Aug 3, 2007
                RE: HUM_FORUM: Re: The Noise

                What were you tried for?  (sorry, couldn't resist)  :')

                I suggested similar flaws in message 7584.

                BTW, I've given up on attempting to correlate solar activity with my hum (and possible interaction with Van Allen belt) - no correlation.

                Arne
                ________________________________

                From: humforum@yahoogroups.com [mailto:humforum@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Bill Curry

                Message 7 of 10 , Aug 4, 2007
                  Re: HUM_FORUM:   Re: The Noise Arne,

                     You certainly caught my dyslexic typing!  By the way, my wife and I were in the twin cities area two days before the bridge collapse, because we were attending a 50th wedding anniversary.  The couple who were being celebrated have seven children and numerous grandchildren.  We are grateful that none of them were victimized by those tragic events, though their teen age granddaughter (out of town at the time) was frantic for a while, when she couldn't contact her parents.  Did you have family or friends in the twin cities area at the time?

                  Regards, Bill
                  Retired physicist, etc.

                  From: humforum@yahoogroups.com [mailto:humforum@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Bill Curry
                  Regards, Bill Curry
                  Retried physicist and occasional consultant

                  |Bill P. Curry, PhD         EMSciTek Consulting Co.|
                  |(630 858-9377              Fax (630) 858-9159     |
                  |               Physics is fun!                    | |__________________________________________________|
                • stonehollow@tds.net
                  Message 8 of 10 , Aug 4, 2007
                    No - although some of my canoeing buddies crossed it within 30 minutes or so. The root cause should be interesting. clearly there are many bridges that age and condition.

                    Arne
                    ---- Bill Curry <bpcurry@...> wrote:

                    =============
                    Arne,

                    ... By the way, my wife and I werein the twin cities area two days before the bridge collapse ... Did you have family or friends in the twin
                    cities area at the time?

                    Regards, Bill
                    Retired physicist, etc.
                  • surfyah
                    Message 9 of 10 , Aug 5, 2007
                      --- In humforum@yahoogroups.com, "supercool1955" <myriad7@...> wrote:

                      > I have gotten pro active about this hum.
                      >
                      > Since it keeps me awake at night I have used the time to try to track
                      > it to it's origin.
                      >
                      > First, I complained to the local police that a restaurant nearby is
                      > using diesel generators to keep food frozen and that the noise is
                      > traveling underground.
                      >
                      > I also complained that a nearby house had a subwoofer and was
                      > disturbing the peace after 10PM.
                      >
                      > That was a week ago.
                      >
                      > I wrote a letter to my next door neighbor, telling him of this Hum and
                      > I asked him to stop it, if he is doing it.
                      >
                      > The last two nights had almost no hum for the first time in years!
                      >
                      > There was some occasional hum, but it was not enough to prevent
                      sleeping.

                      > The noise has gone from about 60 decibels to about 5 db!
                      >
                      > This is progress! I do not know which source it is, but my complaints
                      > seems to be paying off.
                      >
                      > Could it be the restaurants generators, which may be illegal to run?
                      >
                      > Could it be a kid playing music?
                      >
                      > Could it be my next door neighbor's clunky old refrigerator freezer?
                      >
                      > I still want to know!

                      I agree, about wanting to know the source of the noise, and then
                      complaining about it. But, my problem is that the various city
                      supervisors (on public dole) can't seem to determine who (water
                      dept/business) is making the noise! So, I call, and report the noise
                      problem when it gets totally unbearable! Now they don't even return my
                      calls. However, they must certainly be aware of legal problems with
                      the city not responding to the complaints.

                      I also wonder why most people are content to let go by, and let the
                      "other guy" do something about it! I asked one neighbor about the
                      noise problem (underground generators/pumps, running 24/7 for 3 years
                      now!!!!) what she does. "Oh, I put pillows over my head! But I got a
                      street light for the street one year, so why don't you complain for
                      us". (!!!!!!!!) You'd think their health or those of their family
                      members would matter enough for them to complain as well!

                      So, those who complain, sound like nuts! Great! But, I am NOT going to
                      let some agency or business ruin the better part of my HEALTH!!! And
                      to add insult to injury, the city guidelines are not even abiding by
                      the decibel levels for this sound/vibration levels. In fact our city
                      guidelines say that the businesses/constructions are only to run their
                      generators/ pumps during business hours 7am to something like 7pm!!
                      NOT 24/7! Cities need to monitor noise and have reports of noise
                      levels on news like the weather!
                    • peter taylor-wood
                      Message 10 of 10 , Aug 7, 2007
                        --- Auntie Sal <auntie_sal@...> wrote:

                        > Hi Pete
                        >
                        > But what of those who are a very long way from the
                        > sea?
                        >

                        > Hi Auntie. Pete here. I only just read that article
                        in the New Scientist so i don`t really know how
                        developed the theory is about waves creating massive
                        ELFs but I feel it to mean the constant crashing of
                        waves along the sea bed leads to an effect that made
                        the whole planet Hum so it would not matter how far
                        from the sea you where. I have to say the thumping
                        sound that I get which almost hurts my ears sounds
                        like waves crashing . I don`t know the cause of the
                        Hum but prefer to go with natural phenomenon for the
                        sake of my own sanity. I mean I don`t fancy laying in
                        bed at 3am thinking that evil geniuses are trying to
                        demoralise us by sound waves. {Even if this is as
                        likely reason as any} I like having discussions on
                        this forum it makes me feel we could get somewhere. In
                        the mean time I will continue to monitor and enjoy.

                        > All the best to you Pete from West Wales

                        now.
                        http://uk.answers.yahoo.com/