  • silenceisbliss20002000
    Message 1 of 3 , May 29, 2004
      Hello all, Am a new member today, so I will give my hum-hearing
      background. Have heard the hum loudly & intrusively & at times
      unbearably so, since moving to a very quiet location in l999. It took
      me a month or two to begin to notice it. Since then, it has changed
      the quality of my life for the worse, but also provided some learning
      experiences along the way, . . . ! I have heard it 24/7, with the
      rarest of exceptions, for 4 years and counting. I can hear it outside
      the house, when it is loud, but it dissipates as I walk away from the
      structure (house). It is very noticable in the car, (enclosed
      structure) when one comes into the driveway, even without the engine
      turned off but very amplified with it turned off, Even when one is
      not thinking about or expecting to hear it. Often it shocks me all
      over again, that I have to actually live with this horrid pulsing
      drone, with its' offkey pitch, its' erratic rhythm, and general
      depressing and obnoxious tone, so very low and so very loud. Windows
      open or closed, house or car, do not make a significant difference,
      if any. It is worst in bedrooms, 4-sided of course!, and that makes
      your last sanctuary, sleep, compromised. And so the problem grows, no
      escape does seem unfair. What is this noise? When I was a neophyte, I
      searched the local area, I put my head up against every imaginable
      surface, I phoned my Hydro company, I hoped for an an electrical
      outage, I asked neighbours, embarrassing & anxiety-provoking, if they
      could hear it, I couldn't accept my roommates' inability to hear it,
      asking too often, "Now can you hear it, can you hear it now?". I went
      to an ENT doctor, I went to an audiologist, I spoke to very helpful,
      really the first significant help, accoustic expert, Vibrasonic in
      Vancouver, B.C. Canada. Then a Professor of engineering of some kind,
      a bit of a genius accoustic people said, from the University of B.C.,
      offered to test my house free of charge, as an ongoing exercise for
      students. END of PART ONE!
    • Angelo Campanella
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 2, 2004
        Dear Forum:
        I have enjoyed greatly my interaction with this forum, but now I
        find my e-mail too cluttered to continue on an active basis. (This is not
        the first forum for that experience. Another, about Mooney aircraft owners'
        affairs, became likewise saturated; too many messages and too little time
        available to do justice.. etc.).

        By now you have my e-mail address, and you may communicate
        privately on the technical basis for hum.

        Sincerely,
        Angelo Campanella

        --------- www.CampanellaAcoustics.com ---------

        "I have simply studied carefully whatever I've undertaken, and tried to
        hold a reserve that would carry me through." - Charles A. Lindbergh.

        "As for background noise level; 35 dBA is a good classroom; 45 dBA is a
        sound masking system!" - Anthony K. Hoover
      • Demonbusters
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 2, 2004
          Angelo Campanella <a.campanella@a...> wrote:

          > Dear Forum:
          > I have enjoyed greatly my interaction with this forum, but now I
          > find my e-mail too cluttered to continue on an active basis. (This
          > is not the first forum for that experience. Another, about Mooney
          > aircraft owners' affairs, became likewise saturated; too many
          > messages and too little time available to do justice.. etc.).

          I've enjoyed your postings, they have been valuable.

          Under "Edit My Membership" on the Yahoo groups website, did you know
          that you have 3 options for message delivery to you? --

          Message Delivery
          - Individual emails. Send individual email messages.
          - Daily digest. Send many emails in one message.
          - No email. Don't send me email, I'll read the messages at the Web
          site.

          The Daily Digest option sends one daily e-mail containing from 1 up to
          25 messages, and in additional daily batches each up to 25 messages,
          depending on the number of daily messages. This option will
          dramatically cut down on the number of e-mails that one receives.

          The No Email option sends no e-mail, and one can use the Yahoo website
          user interface for reading and replying to posts. This is the option
          that I use, and I save my posts (and some others' posts) on my
          computer by forwarding the post to my e-mail address.