New to the forum & definitely hearing the Hum

  • sirius_wolf
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 1 1:29 AM
      Hi all,

      Started hearing the Hum, maybe a year ago.Just lately it's becoming
      unbearable. I usually wake up at about 4.00 am when it's really bad and
      cannot go back to sleep. I have also noticed it's staring to make my
      ears hurt.
      I am concerned about how this is affecting my general well being?
      How does everyone else cope? What can we do?

      Hope to talk soon =)
    • Debbi
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 1 12:15 PM
        -Hi there - have you tried a small fan at bedtime? That works for
        me. It has been quieter for me the last month as I tend not to focus
        on it much anymore. But the other day I just 'listened' for it in my
        bedroom and it seemed to be loud. Also in my office. I quickly put
        it out of my head and returned to 'tuning it out'. I fear it will
        always be there. But I DO need the fan to sleep. I am grateful I am
        passed the point of panic and dread. I can DEAL with it since I have
        this incredibly helpful forum. You don't feel so alone.

        take care
        Deb

        -- In humforum@yahoogroups.com, "sirius_wolf" <maddie@...> wrote:

        > Hi all,
        >
        > Started hearing the Hum, maybe a year ago.Just lately it's becoming
        > unbearable. I usually wake up at about 4.00 am when it's really bad
        and
        > cannot go back to sleep. I have also noticed it's staring to make
        my
        > ears hurt.
        > I am concerned about how this is affecting my general well being?
        > How does everyone else cope? What can we do?
        >
        > Hope to talk soon =)

      • acorn1399
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 2 10:25 AM
          --- In humforum@yahoogroups.com, "sirius_wolf" <maddie@...> wrote:

          >The other night it was so bad I thought I was going to go insane. I
          am really getting tired of people who can't hear it and the callous
          remarks they make. I have tried plugs, cotton, a radio nothing drowns
          it out. It is quite maddening and totally disrupts life. most of the
          time I am running on 2 hours sleep. During the day I feel drained. I
          haven't found any solutions but am open to suggestions.

          PEACE,
          acorn

          > Hi all,
          >
          > Started hearing the Hum, maybe a year ago.Just lately it's becoming
          > unbearable. I usually wake up at about 4.00 am when it's really bad
          and
          > cannot go back to sleep. I have also noticed it's staring to make
          my
          > ears hurt.
          > I am concerned about how this is affecting my general well being?
          > How does everyone else cope? What can we do?
          >
          > Hope to talk soon =)

        • peter taylor-wood
          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 3 6:26 AM
            --- In humforum@yahoogroups.com, "acorn1399" <acorn1399@...> wrote:

            > --- In humforum@yahoogroups.com, "sirius_wolf" <maddie@> wrote:
            >

            > >The other night it was so bad I thought I was going to go insane. I
            > am really getting tired of people who can't hear it and the callous
            > remarks they make. I have tried plugs, cotton, a radio nothing drowns
            > it out. It is quite maddening and totally disrupts life. most of the
            > time I am running on 2 hours sleep. During the day I feel drained. I
            > haven't found any solutions but am open to suggestions.
            >

            > PEACE,
            > acorn
            >
            > > Hi all,
            > >
            > > Started hearing the Hum, maybe a year ago.Just lately it's becoming
            > > unbearable. I usually wake up at about 4.00 am when it's really bad
            > and
            > > cannot go back to sleep. I have also noticed it's staring to make
            > my
            > > ears hurt.
            > > I am concerned about how this is affecting my general well being?
            > > How does everyone else cope? What can we do?
            > >
            > > Hope to talk soon =)

            Hi Pete from wales here. One of the things we could explore is to do with
            tuneing our ears. I have long noticed that on occaisions it seems like the Hum
            has stoped and yet every time it turns out that I have lost focus of it. Some
            days when it seems very faint, if I focus it becomes loud. I have been studying
            it for a while now and am keeping a log. I have introduced a few people to the
            Hum by humming what I hear . Then they are able to pick it out as well.
            Probobly everyone could do this. The question is why is it that only 2% of the
            population hear the Hum. Why do we tune into it, as it where subconsciously.
            This last week I have been ill in bed and in my weakened state found my
            brain became rather insensertive to it. I had to make an effort to find the Hum ,
            mostly I could not be bothered , so to all intence and purposes had a relatively
            Hum free week. Then , yesturday it came back with avengence. I think trying
            to stop hearing it makes it worse. The answer seems to lie in acceptance.
            Although at times every molicule in my being seems to be vibrating with it if I
            just lie still and surender to it , it becomes quite bareable.
            I am a contemplative from the Tantric tradition and much of my training has
            been in focusing upon sound and mantra. To focus ones attention on a single
            sound for a good length of time is the best way to gain control over the mind.
            When the mind becomes still a great peace ensues. The Hum never intrudes
            on my peace anymore and now I hear so much more than just a Hum. One of
            the things I like to suggest is try to find out what note or notes go to make up
            your Hum. Try to sing the sound and find it on a piano or any instrument and
            then let us know. This is a great way to establish the universality of the Hum.

            All the best Pete>

          • Bill Curry
            Message 5 of 5 , Jul 3 4:51 PM
              Re: HUM_FORUM:   Re: New to the forum & definitely hearing the Hum Pete,

                 In general, hypersensitivities of various types affect only a few percent of the general population.  This is true of chemical hypersensitivity and also of electromagnetic hypersensitivity.  In fact, in Bioelectromagnetics (a professional journal) an article from an Austrian university in 2003 documented that 2 % of the general population are electromagnetically hypersensitive.  When my wife and I made a limited study of electromagnetic aspects of the Kokomo Hum, I was told that 100 - 200 persons were Hum sufferers in Kokomo, Indiana, a city of about 50,000 persons.  (Our report is in the archives of this forum.)  There is a correlation between chemical and electromagnetic hypersensitivity in at least some cases, but I don't know of any direct connection with the Hum - unless the Hum turns out to have electromagnetic origins.

              on 7/3/07 8:26 AM, peter taylor-wood at petertaylorwood@... wrote:

              --- In humforum@yahoogroups.com <mailto:humforum%40yahoogroups.com> , "acorn1399" <acorn1399@...> wrote:

              > --- In humforum@yahoogroups.com <mailto:humforum%40yahoogroups.com> , "sirius_wolf" <maddie@> wrote:
              >

              > >The other night it was so bad I thought I was going to go insane.  I
              > am really getting tired of people who can't hear it and the callous
              > remarks they make.  I have tried plugs, cotton, a radio nothing drowns
              > it out.  It is quite maddening and totally disrupts life.  most of the
              > time I am running on 2 hours sleep.  During the day I feel drained.  I
              > haven't found any solutions but am open to suggestions.
              >

              > PEACE,
              > acorn
              >
              > > Hi all,
              > >
              > > Started hearing the Hum, maybe a year ago.Just lately it's becoming
              > > unbearable. I usually wake up at about 4.00 am when it's really bad
              > and
              > > cannot go  back to sleep. I have also noticed it's staring to make
              > my
              > > ears hurt.
              > > I am concerned about how this is affecting my general well being?
              > > How does everyone else cope? What can we do?
              > >
              > > Hope to talk soon =)

              Hi  Pete from wales here. One of the things we could explore is to do with
              tuneing our ears. I have long noticed that on occaisions it seems like the Hum
              has stoped and yet every time it turns out that I have lost focus of it. Some
              days when it seems very faint, if I focus it becomes loud. I have been studying
              it for a while now and am keeping a log. I have introduced a few people to the
              Hum by humming what I hear . Then they are able to pick it out as well.
              Probobly everyone could do this. The question is why is it that only 2% of the
              population hear the Hum. Why do we tune into it, as it where subconsciously.
              This last week I have been ill in bed and in my weakened state found my
              brain became rather insensertive to it. I had to make an effort to find the Hum ,
              mostly I could not be bothered , so to all intence and purposes had a relatively
              Hum free week. Then , yesturday it came back with avengence. I think trying
              to stop hearing it makes it worse. The answer seems to lie in acceptance.
              Although at times every molicule in my being seems to be vibrating with it  if I
              just lie still and surender to it , it becomes quite bareable.
              I am a contemplative from the Tantric tradition and much of my training has
              been in focusing upon sound and mantra. To focus ones attention on a single
              sound for a good length of time is the best way to gain control over the mind.
              When the mind becomes still a great peace ensues. The Hum never intrudes
              on my peace anymore and now I hear so much more than just a Hum. One of
              the things I like to suggest is try to find out what note or notes go to make up
              your Hum. Try to sing the sound and find it on a piano or any instrument and
              then let us know. This is a great way to establish the universality of the Hum.

              All the best Pete>

              |Bill P. Curry, PhD         EMSciTek Consulting Co.|
              |(630 858-9377              Fax (630) 858-9159     |