Re: HUM_FORUM: To those with white noise machines

  • Debbi
    Message 1 of 19 , May 5, 2007
      Hi Judy - no- you did not mislead me - I am in the process of
      accepting it and still trying to get a 'visual' on what I imagine it
      is. I like your description. I took one Lunesta the other night and
      slept like a rock (with my little fan on). Last night I was able to
      fall asleep like I used to.

      HOWEVER!! I heard the hum through my TV. I am going to post this on a
      new post so everyone can see it.
      Thank you for your advice and input on this hum - I appreciate - I am
      so sorry you've hear it for 14 years! That is my future I'm afraid.
      But right now I don't hear it in my office...the radio is on and the
      hum is faint... so I've tuned it out.
      take care
      Deb

      > Debbi, I noticed a few days ago you said you tried to
      > pretend the hum was an air conditioner without much
      > success. I hope I didn't mislead you on that. What I did
      > was concentrate intensely on the hum and make myself
      > visualize what it sounded like. My hum is large; very
      > large. Consequently my imaginary "heating/AC
      > equipment" consists of huge machines, maybe six feet
      > tall, several boiler type things, a big gas furnace, and
      > even some machinery with gears and movable parts to
      > accommodate the occasional rotary sound in the hum.
      > When I had all the equipment together in my imagination
      > I had to find a practical use for it, so I moved it into a
      > doorless room in my home behind a wall (still my
      > imagination, of course) and for lack of a better function
      > for it, I assigned it the job of keeping me cool in the
      > summer and warm in the winter. It is neither a heater
      > nor an air conditioner, but the equipment that *drives*
      > those functions. In truth, the equipment in my imaginary
      > room could probably drive the heating and air
      > conditioning for a huge hotel, a cruise ship, or something
      > else of that magnitude. Think big, and you might have
      > more success. Then every time I was bothered by the
      > hum I would tell myself it was okay, it was just the
      > machinery in the equipment room making noise. The
      > hum is *always* there, so after a while it was just really
      > easy to tune it out, and even when I do hear it, it doesn't
      > usually bother me unless it gets really radical, which it
      > occasionally does...but not to the point of having to make
      > changes to the machinery I created. Not yet, at least.
      >
      > I have heard the hum now for 14 years. I had been
      > hearing it for about three years when I started training
      > myself to accept it, because it seemed to me that it was
      > possible that no one would identify it, and even if
      > they did, I wondered whether it would be possible
      > to stop it. I didn't feel that I could tolerate it forever, so I
      > had to do something to change my attitude. Good luck!
      >
      > Judy

    • peter taylor-wood
      Message 2 of 19 , May 8, 2007
        --- Carole Carriker <CcSelene7@...> wrote:

        > I thought maybe the hum might be brought on by our
        > stressful lifestyles, but
        > then Peter came along and blew that theory out of
        > the water with his
        > contemplative lifestyle! I don't live in such a
        > wildly beautiful place as
        > he describes, but I have been able to slow down a
        > lot since I retired, and
        > my back yard is a nice sanctuary. Maybe that's why
        > the hum doesn't bother
        > me the way it used to.
        >

        > Carole

        SAY A FEW WORDS ABOUT CONTEMPLATION AND THEN ABOUT
        MODERN LIFE-STYLES., AT THE HEART OF TANTRA LIES A
        FUNDIMENTAL TEACHING, USUALLY REFERED TO AS 'ASTANGA
        YOGA, OR THE EIGHT LIMBS OF YOGA' THE PURPOSE OF
        THIS IS TO GAIN CONTROL OF THE PERSEPTUAL MECHANISIMS
        , I WONT GO INTO THIS IN DETAIL BUT THE RELEVENT
        PARTS COULD BE VERY USEFULL. WE CAN START WITH THE
        THIRD LIMB WHICH IS ASANA. THIS SIMPLY MEANS TO BE
        STILL AND COMFORTABLE IN YOUR BODY AND WHAT MOST
        PEOPLE CONSIDER TO BE YOGA IS AN OVERLY COMPLECATED
        AND ENTIRELY UNESSESARY SET OF EXTREME POSTURES BUT IN
        THE CLASSICS IT SIMPLY SAYS THAT ALL 86,000 POSTURES
        ARE DESIGNED TO MAKE ONE AT PERFECT EASE IN ORDER TO
        BEGIN THE NEXT LIMB WHICH IS PRANAYAMA. THIS AGAIN IS
        REALLY SIMPLY OBSERVING THE BREATH AND COMING TO
        UNDERSTAND HOW IT EFFECTS ONE, BOTH PHYSICALY AND
        MENTALLY. ie AN UNEXPECTED BANG WILL SPEED UP THE
        HEART AND MAKE YOU PANT. BEST WAY TO RECOVER IS TO
        FOCUS ON YOUR BREATH AND BREATH SLOWER AND DEEPER
        UNTILL YOU HAVE RECOVERED .THE NEXT LIMB IS CALLED
        PRATYAHARA THIS WORD REFERS TO THE WAY A TORTOISE
        WITHDRAWS INTO ITS SHELL AND IS APPLYED TO THE FIVE
        SENSES.. IT IS AS IF THE SENSUAL WORLD HAS BECOME
        ALLMOST INEXTRICABLY LINKED TO THE CONCEPTUAL WORLD
        BUT WITH A LITTLE TRAINING CAN BE SET FREE , THEN ONE
        CAN BECOME DEEPLY INVOLVED WITH WHAT SISTER TERAISER
        OF AVAIL REFERED TO AS' THE INTERIOR CASTLE.'
        NOW THIS IS HOW I AM APPLYING MYSELF TO THE HUM.
        HAVING BECOME STILL I DISINTANGLE MYSELF FROM THE
        CONCEPTUAL WORLD [THE MATRIX] & ENTER INTO A UNION
        WITH THE HUM. THIS IS CALLED DHARANA OR CONCENTRATION.
        ALL MENTAL DISTRACTIONS ARE OVERCOME, INCLUDING THE
        CONCEPT OF TIME, AND INSTEAD OF BEING DEISTRACTED BY
        THE HUM, IT BECOMES THE FOCUS OF MY CONSENTRATION. THE
        NEXT STAGE IS DHYANA, MEANING CONTEMPLATION. IN
        CONTEMPLATION I AM ABLE TO DEEPEN MY UNION. I HEAR
        MORE AND I FEEL MORE BUT I DONT DRAW ANY CONCLUSIONS.
        THE LAST STAGE IS SAMADHI. APPLYED TO THE HUM THIS
        MEANS ENTERING A STATE WHERE ALL I AM AWARE OF IS
        VIBRATION. ONE LOOSES ALL IDENTITY ALL EGO AND SIMPLY
        [BECOMES] THE OBJECT OF PERCEPTION. THE FINAL STAGE
        IS WHERE CONCENTRATION, CONTEMPLATION, AND MEDITATION
        BECOME BLENDED INTO ONE EXPERIENSE WHICH IS CALLED
        SAMYAMA. HERE IS WHERE WE COME TO THE POINT; IT IS
        SAID THAT BY PERFORMING SAMYAMA ON SOMTHING ONE MAY
        COME TO KNOW IT, ABSOLUTELY. WELL I AM NOT QUITE AT
        THAT STAGE WITH IT YET BUT YESTURDAY I WAS IN THE
        GARDEN. IN THE BED OF THE VALLEY LIES A STREAM. THERE
        ARE STEEP CLIFFS ON EITHER SIDE. I WAS HALF WAY
        BETWEEN THE STREAM AND THE TOP OF THE CLIFF. THE
        STREAM WAS QUITE LOUD. I AM MILES FROM ANYWHERE. ALL I
        COULD HEAR WAS THE STREAM, THE BIRDS, SOME SHEEP AND
        THE HUM. CONTEMPLATING ALL THIS LEAD ME TO A SENCE
        THAT THE WHOLE IONOSPHERE, OR, FOR ALL I KNOW ,
        UNIVERSE IS HUMING. I APPLYED A TEST. I PUT AN
        EARPLUG IN ONE EAR AT A TIME, IT SEEMED TO GROUND THE
        SOUND AND MAKE IT MORE DIRECTIONAL. BUT WITH BOTH EARS
        ON THE GO I HAVE AN AWARENESS OF AN EXTRAORDINARY
        AMBIANCE. LET ME PUT IT THIS WAY. IF YOU HEAR A
        RECORDING OF A VOICE MADE IN A STUDIO WITHOUT DIGITAL
        EFFECTS IT IS QUITE FLAT OR DEAD. IF IT WHER RECORDED
        IN ST.PAULS CATHEDRAL IT WOULD BE SO FULL OF ECO AS TO
        BE HARD TO MAKE OUT WHAT IS BEING SAID. ANY ONE CAN
        TELL THAT; SO TO A TRAINED EAR IT WOULD BE POSSIBLE
        TO SAY WHAT KIND OF AN ENVIRONMENT IT WAS PRODUSED IN.
        WHEN I HEAR THE HUM IN MY GARDEN THE IMPRESSION IS ,
        THE SPACE THAT SUROUNDS THE EARTH IS FULL OF THIS
        SOUND. I WOULD LOVE TO HEAR FROM OTHERS IF THEY ARE IN
        A POSSITION TO CHECK THIS OUT. BY THE WAY THIS
        AWARNESS , FOR ME, IS RATHER NICE. I HAVE HAD OVER A
        DECADE TO GET USED TO IT BUT THE QUESTION MARK HANGING
        OVER THE PHENOMINON CAN PROOVE VEXING. WHAT I AM
        SAYING IS I CAN USE THIS TO HELP ME BECOME SERENE AND
        CALM. WHICH BRINGS ME TO MY SECOND POINT [MODERN
        LIVING] I DONT ALLWAYS HEAR THE HUM. ALLMOST EVERY
        DAY I SAY TO MYSELF 'ITS GONE. IT GOES BECASE MY BRAIN
        BECOMES PREOCUPIED. THE BIGGER THE DISTERBANCES IN MY
        BRAIN THE LESS I CAN HEAR THE HUM OR THE STEAM OR THE
        BIRDS. QUESTION; DO WE CALM DOUN A BIT AS WE
        APROACH RETIREMENT ? DO WE HAVE MORE TIME TO HEAR
        NATURE ? IS IT THAT WHEN ONE IS WORKING OR PREOCUPIED
        THAT IT BLANKS OUT CERTAIN ASPECTS OF THE SENSES ? IS
        THIS WHY MORE MID-LIFERES HEAR THE HUM ? ON THE WORLD
        SERVICE LAST WEEK I WAS TOLD 'PEOPLE WALK 10%-30%
        FASTER THAN JUST TEN YEARS AGO. THIS WAS PART OF A
        WORLD WIDE STUDY CONDUCTED BY PSYCHOLOGISTS FROM AN
        ENGLISH UNIVERSITY WHICH CONCLUDED THAT IT WAS NOT A
        HEALTHY TREND BUT A SIMPTOM OF GREAT AND INCREASING
        STRESS. I WOULD LIKE 'THINK' THAT WHAT I 'HEAR' IS
        SOMTHING LIKE THE SHUMAN RESONANCES BECAUSE THAT WOULD
        BE VERY BEAUTYFULL. TO BE IN TOUCH WITH THE SONG OF
        THE EARTH .FAR OUT. PERHAPS I WILL CHOOSE TO 'BELIEVE
        THAT UNTILL, THRU SAMYAMA I CAN PROOVE MYSELF WRONG, I
        HAVE BENN TOLD THAT IT IS NOT POSSIBLE TO ' HEAR' THEM
        ACCOUSTICALY BUT I AM ALLSO TOLD THAT THEY ARE FASTER
        NOW THAN A FEW YEARS BACK, WOULD THIS NOT , POSSIBLY
        , ACCOUNT FOR THE EMERGANCE OF THE HUM, POSSIBLY THRU
        BONE INDUCTION ? ALL THE PEOPLE I SPEAK TO ABOUT THE
        HUM EXPERIENSE IT COMMING AND GOING BUT I THINK IT IS
        TO DO WITH THERE STATE OF MIND. AT THE END OF A LONG
        DAY AT THE OFFICE WHERE YOU CANT 'HEAR' THE HUM YOU
        MAY COME HOME , BEGIN TO UNWIND AND THERE SHE IS. YOU
        MOVE HOUSE TO A PLACE WHERE YOU THINK YOU CANT HEAR
        THE HUM, MOVING IS VERY STRESSFULL AND DISTRACTING.
        THEN YOU SETTLE DOUN AND RELAX AND THERE SHE
        IS.....SORRY FOR GOING ON SUCH A LOT BUT I THINK THE
        CONTEMPLATIVE INPUT IS GOING TO VERY USEFULL IF THE
        ONLY ANSWER IS TO LEARN TO LIVE WITH IT.
        WISHING YOU A PEACEFULL LIFE..LOVE PETER

        now.
        http://uk.answers.yahoo.com/