Antennas and noise

  • skeptichearer
    Message 1 of 1 , May 1 3:29 AM
      I wish to report my experience with noise generated by antennas.
      When I was young (60's), in windy days it was hearable a boring
      sound of not well ideintified source. Nobody in my family but me
      realized that the cause was the steel tube supporting the TV
      antenna, which worked as an organ pipe. As far as I could remember,
      the pitch was in the order of 300 Hz, to give an idea. I solved the
      problem plugging the tube ends.
      More recently (80's), in my own house, there was a similar problem.
      The tone was very low, and was hearable even in the presence of a
      just delicate breeze. The tube was 6 meter long and 5 cm (2inch)
      inner diameter. It was the mast of a ham antenna. Again I solved the
      problem pluggin the ends.
      A couple of years ago, my brother told me that in the nights he was
      hearing an absolutely intolerable low pitched hum. Impossible to
      sleep. I asked him to notice if that occurred in windy or breezy
      nights. After a week or so he confirmed. So, I plugged the ends of
      his antenna's mast, but this didn't solve the problem. After
      thinking a lot about, I suspected of the steel wire braces
      reinforcing the mast: they were too tight, and worked as harp
      strings. The problem was definitively solved by loosing a bit the
      wires.

      Regards,
      Antonio