Re: New to group

  • surfyah
    Message 1 of 14 , Apr 30, 2007
      --- In humforum@yahoogroups.com, "j_mundy" <j_mundy@...> wrote:

      > Hi Sandra.
      >
      > I started to hear 'the hum' about 2 years ago. I was convinced it was
      > a farmer's tractor, but gradually I realised he would NOT be working
      > EVERY day and night for four months!
      >
      > I have made an accurate simulation of what I hear. Click 'Files' and
      > select the file called 'hum4.mp3'. There are other examples of 'hums'
      > there too so you can compare.
      >
      > I know the following may sound silly - but if you make a loud, sharp
      > noise (like clapping, or even coughing) does the hum subside for a
      > second or two - then 'fade' back in? Also, have you noticed if the
      > hum seems to pulsate in rhythm with your own heartbeat?
      >
      > I work from home - in a sound studio. I wear headphones much of the
      > time. Often, when I take off my 'cans', I am accutely aware of the
      > hum. Gradually, it diminishes - then fades altogether.
      >
      > I have always blamed my local water company for the noise as I was
      > convinced the sound was coming from the pipes under my home. But now,
      > I am not sure. The evidence is starting to make me believe that the
      > hum is more connected with my own hearing. But in what way - I can
      > not explain.
      >
      > John.
      >

      > --- In humforum@yahoogroups.com, "ncrinkrat2000" <ncrinkrat2000@>
      > wrote:
      > >
      > > Hi --
      > >
      > > I noticed the hum sometime after moving into our house in 2000.
      > There
      > > is a concrete plant just down the road and I assumed it was related
      > > that because when I was outside I could hear trucks coming and going
      > > and metal banging. I work from home after my kids go to sleep so
      > I'm
      > > up all hours of the night. Sometimes if I had the tv down lower, it
      > > would be really annoying. I could feel it banging on my eardrums.
      > It
      > > never occurred to me that it was constant and trucks wouldn't be. I
      > > finally said something to my husband about it a while back on a bad
      > > night and, of course, he couldn't hear it. Went all over the house
      > > trying to find the source. I opened the window and realized it was
      > > definitely in the house. He unplugged a few things that he could
      > hear
      > > if he put his ear right on them and, of course, I heard no
      > difference.
      > > So I googled electric hum in the house and was dumbfounded at what
      > > popped up.
      > >
      > > In addition to the concrete place, there is a train track close by
      > but
      > > we only get 3 or 4 trains a day and only 1 at night, around 10.
      > There
      > > is a highway a few miles away in the opposite direction. We don't
      > > have any big power lines. The power coming into the house is
      > > underground. Of all the home repair theories I read, plumbing was
      > the
      > > only one that seemed like a possibility. Then I read the thing
> [...]
      Speaking of water pipes, when the underground pipes start "ringing"
      something is going on, most likely related to the water/sewer dept! My
      hearing has Always been Excellent, no unrelated noises out of them. I
      would like to keep them that way! Plus these drones and unnatural
      sounds like generator 24/7 noises are Not good for bodies, I think the
      sound makes one more uncordinated, because your nerves are being
      harrassed 24/7, and masking noise is not good either. The source has
      to be known, in order to figure out how to address the effects. Or
      cause those in charge to be responsible for the problem.
    • scotttrammell@ymail.com
      Message 2 of 14 , Dec 13, 2010
        Until today I had no idea The Hum existed to others. Only after selling my home in Phoenix and moving (still in Phoenix) did I realize the sound was not isolated to my house. Although this may appear to be old routine to other group members, for me, today has been nothing short of an amazing revelation.
      • andrea
        Message 3 of 14 , Dec 14, 2010
          Welcome Scott!

          Sorry however it had to be under such circumstances. I was the very same (as I am sure most were here) not knowing there was a community of people going through the same thing. At least you're not alone.

          It's a hard one to manage, but manage somehow we do. Hopefully you'll find some comfort in that, if not the answers to the HUM.

          Andrea in NC