coping with the hum

  • Betty
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 15, 2007
      Hello, I am new to this forum and hope to get some answers as how to
      cope with this noise...It is driving me sleepless.... anybody have any
      suggestions?
    • Carole Carriker
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 15, 2007

        Something that makes a noise that will mask the hum.  A fan or a sound soother, something that makes a soft “whooshing” noise, works pretty well…

        Carole

        Hello, I am new to this forum and hope to get some answers as how to
        cope with this noise...It is driving me sleepless... . anybody have any
        suggestions?

      • surfyah
        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 16, 2007
          --- In humforum@yahoogroups.com, "Carole Carriker" <CcSelene7@...> wrote:

          > Something that makes a noise that will mask the hum. A fan or a sound
          > soother, something that makes a soft "whooshing" noise, works pretty
          well.

          > Carole

          Behalf
          > Of Betty
          > Sent: Sunday, April 15, 2007 5:30 PM
          > To: humforum@yahoogroups.com
          > Subject: HUM_FORUM: coping with the hum
          >

          > Hello, I am new to this forum and hope to get some answers as how to
          > cope with this noise...It is driving me sleepless.... anybody have any
          > suggestions?

          Or just set your radio clock to play for 60-90 minutes, Classical
          music is soothing. or listen to talk radio, but of course remember you
          are just masking the noise with other noise! Your ears still hear it all!
          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 24, 2007
            In a message dated 16/04/2007 10:55:55 GMT Daylight Time, surfyah@... writes:

            --- In humforum@yahoogroup s.com, "Carole Carriker" <CcSelene7@. ..> wrote:

            > Something that makes a noise that will mask the hum. A fan or a sound
            > soother, something that makes a soft "whooshing" noise, works pretty
            well.

            > Carole

            Hi all,
            Yes, but half the trouble is that your brain is focussing on the sound, and that is not your fault.
            I believe that most of the stress comes from feeling that it's coming into your consciousness ,
            and there's no escape.
            If you are able by some means to turn your attention away from it,
             then it won't have so much 'power' over you.
            I am not convinced that the sound itself does physical damage (unless it's hugely loud, which most hum hearers seem to agree, it's not loud in th accepted sense), but I really believe that most of the damage to health comes from the stress that is set up, as a result of not being able to have any control in the matter.
            A crying baby next door that you cannot help or stop is much more stressful than one in your own home, where you may be able to do something to help it stop being distressed.....
            It's this loss of control of your own space that is such a stressful thing to live with.
            So, my opinion is that it's worth trying to find anything that will take your attention off the noise.
            'Sound Conditioners' are very good, making a high-ish frequency 'white' or 'pink' noise , like a hissing,
            a little like a rushing waterfall. The manufactured sound is good because it is 'dead-steady', and doesn't irritate or demand your attention with slight fluctuations of volume like a recording of a waterfall does...
            (yes, folks, I have tried that ! Doesn't work as well as a steady sound.)
            I know you may still be 'receiving' the low frequency noise , but if you can fool your poor tired brain into thinking the noise coming in is  not quite so dominating, then I'm sure that will help lessen the overall stress levels.
            * Yesterday I was driving back from Southampton, and in a traffic queue was stopped under a motorway (freeway)bridge , waiting for traffic lights to change.
            The DIN from the traffic above was quite surprising, and I thought it must constitute a LFN SOURCE by itself, or at least add to the traffic roar above....Any clues there?
            It sounded like a train going overhead (which it would, I suppose!). A constant deep loud rumble, like thunder.  But it was surprising just how loud it was. I have not noticed this before.
            Maybe because I haven't been in a queue there before, or maybe the traffic is so heavy now,
            it has become more noticeable.

            By the way, folks, I have been approached by the South Korean Broadcasting System
            (N.B., South, not North !), for background Information about The Hum.
            I have sent loads of links for them to check out (should keep them busy for weeks !),
            but the main point is that they are seeking people to interview.
            From experience, it  is usually difficult to find people willing to speak out, because many people fear ridicule.
            But PLEASE, FOLKS  can anyone consider coming forward to speak to them?
            They said they can visit England, so Brit's, please help !!!

            It's in every hearer's interest that your experiences are aired, and hopefully then we can make more progress about coping with  or alleviating the problem.

            Please try to speak to Korean Broadcasting System, if you can.
            Don't be shy !
             It will help every Hum Hearer.
            I have spoken to Stephanie Jin, who phoned me at length recently.
            I'm sure she wouldn't mind me putting her e-mail here :
             please write to Stephanie if you can :
            Thank you.
            Best Wishes,
            Rosemarie.
            LFNS Helpline. England.

          • peter taylor-wood
            Message 5 of 6 , Apr 25, 2007
              --- Tobypaws2002@... wrote:

              > In a message dated 16/04/2007 10:55:55 GMT Daylight
              > Time, surfyah@...
              > writes:
              >

              > --- In _humforum@yahoogrouphumfo_
              > (mailto:humforum@yahoogroups.com) ,
              > "Carole Carriker" <CcSelene7@.Cc> wrote:
              > >
              > > Something that makes a noise that will mask the
              > hum. A fan or a sound
              > > soother, something that makes a soft "whooshing"
              > noise, works pretty
              > well.
              > >

              > > Carole

              of your letter and I wrote to Stephanie saying I would
              love to help in any way. I have allways loved the
              sound of the rain. When it rains my ears open to
              receive the sound and it takes me back to chilhood.
              The howling wind is good to. And I live in a valley
              with a stream at the bottom. I used to meditate with
              the sound of the stream all the time and it was
              extatic. Then came the HUM. Talk about getting kicked
              out of paradise. When I can absorb myself in the
              sounds of nature I become so happy and fearless it
              gives me a fantastic sense of What is real and of what
              is not real and that I truely can put my trust in the
              universe. When I first became aware that this sound is
              everywere, for me , and is really unlikely to go way
              I started to panic. My God the death of silence. All I
              can say is. Any thing artifitial that you use to mask
              the hum is just another frequncy of the same thing.
              Even a really, really first class recording played
              thru top of the range equipment will cause fatigue to
              the ears. We long for silence and yet most of us have
              probobly never really experienced it. Artiftial sound,
              non acoustic frequencys all this stuff that is going
              on around us is simply shutting us of from the true
              sounds of nature, all of which exist so that we may
              truely abide in paradise. I am not religious but one
              is bound to feel that paradise has been turned into
              hell just as revelations predicts. All I want to say
              now is that real natural has not gone away and if you
              open up , fearlesly, to the Hum you will allso hear
              the good stuff. When you hear the good stuff ,even
              though you still hear the Hum, the effect of the good
              stuff brings that much needed rest to the ears. When
              the ears open fully to recieve the true sounds of
              nature the Heart also opens. I am not talking
              conceptualy here.; When I feel the ears open it feels
              like a cool soothing breez enters the area of my
              heart. Although I still perform as a musician I never
              listen to music, rarely listen to more than 30mins of
              radio a day. And dont have a T.V. In the good old days
              I used to be able to sit by my stream, in the valley
              of ten springs were I live, and I swere to you it was
              the best fun I have ever had. I did it solidly for
              about a year. It has taken me ten years to find my way
              back . But I asure you paradise has not gone away its
              just a bit noisyer now...
              mush love Peter

              now.
              http://uk.answers.yahoo.com/
            • surfyah
              Message 6 of 6 , Apr 30, 2007
                --- In humforum@yahoogroups.com, peter taylor-wood
                <petertaylorwood@...> wrote:

                > --- Tobypaws2002@... wrote:
                >

                > > In a message dated 16/04/2007 10:55:55 GMT Daylight
                > > Time, surfyah@...
                > > writes:
                > >

                > > --- In _humforum@yahoogrouphumfo_
                > > (mailto:humforum@yahoogroups.com) ,
                > > "Carole Carriker" <CcSelene7@...> wrote:
                > > >
                > > > Something that makes a noise that will mask the
                > > hum. A fan or a sound
                > > > soother, something that makes a soft "whooshing"
                > > noise, works pretty
                > > well.
                > > >

                > > > Carole

                Try it
                > now.
                > http://uk.answers.yahoo.com/

                I agree with Peter, What needs to be done, is to find out what the
                source is of the "hum" in all our different instances. I Hate to
                "mask" the sound, because your ears are still being bombarded with
                sound waves! When various people offer solutions of More noise to
                cover the Noise, it just doesn't make sense! The only reason I keep
                the radio on timed ending, is to be able to get the hum generator
                sound out of my immediate hearing and distract my hearing for a while
                to get a break from the unnatural sound. The sad truth is it is still
                affecting your brain waves, not to mention your whole body to that
                awful sound.

                What gets me, is that our hired civil servants don't have a clue as to
                what's causing it! Hard to believe. We now have amidst us one more
                pollution that may be the most harmful of all, Noise. I know the
                neighborhood dogs don't like it, You would think more people would be
                able to speak up! Crazy world.