Re: HUM_FORUM:Catch a programme about The Hum, 03 Feb.2007.

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 1, 2007
      In a message dated 24/01/2007 03:06:02 GMT Standard Time, rainy_day_woman_35@... writes:

      Hi Coer

      Sorry, I don't know anything about this either but am also keen to know
      more, as I have noticed a change in the intensity which seems to
      accompany a change in the weather. The hum started up with a vengeance
      for me once the winter finally kicked in, and fluctuates every time
      there's a weather change. So I'm just adding my voice to yours in
      asking for any further information about this.

      Thanks!

      Hi all,
      I'm yet to be convinced that The Hum is linked to barometric pressure.
      The first thing to do if suspecting this is to get a barometer, keep records
      of when the Hum is hig, low, medium, etc., and with each entry, note the pressure.
      You might like to write out on a big chart, days with space available for 24 hours
      to be recorded .
      I found when I was plotting the Hum's behaviour, the best way was colours, red for 'bad' and green for 'quiet', and lightly filled in red for most of the time, when the Hum was say 8 tenths of full strength.
      If you write down numbers, it is more difficult to see if a trend is forming.
      I used to get 2 sheets of A4 paper with lines already on, each line represented one day.
      Across the top, I divided the space into 24 hours, starting I think at 1800, since nights were generally the times most needing to be looked at, therefore '0000'(midnight)   to noon fell roughly in the middle of the two pages, which I fixed together with sellotape at the back.
      If you just have handy, at all times, near the paper chart, green and red wax crayons
      or coloured pencils, that way you can fill in a few hours at a time,
       recalling what the Hum has been doing recently.
      Then you can see at a glance how bad it's been.
      It's this visual method that is most useful, I found.
      If you left a line empty between the Hum level marks,
       then the barometric pressure could be entered underneath the various shades above.
      I hope this may be of some help.....

      By the way, all folks in England,
      (and even abroad, you may be able to get BBC Radio 4 , or  'Listen Again' on the BBC site. )(bbc.co.uk.)
      There is a programme about the Hum, Saturday morning,1030, G.M.T.,  03 Feb, 2007.
      Please try to catch it, it might be interesting :

       BBC Radio 4,
      10:30
      The Hunt for The Hum Bill Bailey explores the phenomena of low frequency noise, and goes in search of apparently mysterious 'hums' that have been heard from Tokyo to Toronto, and Beijing to Bristol.

      ( But if it's anything like previous efforts, it may leave the mystery largely unsolved.)

      Best Wishes.
      R.M.
      LFNS Helpline, England.