Re: Greetings.

  • lesleydawnscott
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 31, 2006
      Hi Helen,

      I have had a similar experience to you in Canberra Australia. Kept
      looking for the sound outside. At first I thought it was somebody's
      woofer, but whenever I went outside I couldn't hear it. One night I
      noticed that as I stood at the (closed) door I could feel the
      vibration through the walls. Then when I went outside - NOTHING.

      I too have been relieved to find that others are having a similar
      experience (and my husband is relieved as well because he was
      beginning to think it was me) - I describe the noise as the sound of a
      car idling, but unlike an idling car it doesn't go away. However I
      only hear it at night. I have found that while listening to music or
      relaxation tapes I can't hear it. But I don't like to have ear buds
      in all night. Just listening to music etc without the ear buds
      doesn't seem to help though.;

      I too have extremely acute hearing.

      Best wishes to you and to all those who are experiencing this noise -
      I am more than happy to participate in (reasonable) experiments that
      somebody genuinely researching the phenomenon wants to undertake.

      --- In humforum@yahoogroups.com, "Helen Poirier" <helenpoirier@...> wrote:

      > Hi all,
      > Just a line to introduce myself .
      > I am Aussie married to a Canuck who retired in April this year.
      > We bought a house in a rural area in New Brunswick and started
      renovating
      > the house in May.
      > First thing we did was rip up all the carpets to get ready to lay
      hardwood,
      > so for a few weeks we were walking around on plywood.
      > By June we had laid hardwood floors and it was around that time that
      I first
      > noticed the hum, which I thought was the new fridge we had bought
      which is
      > pretty noisy and thought there must be something wrong with the
      compressor,
      > as it sounded like it was running non stop , yet when I stood in
      front of
      > the fridge the noise was hardly noticeable.
      >

      > Eventually I tried turning off the fridge but the noise was still there.
      > I figured it must be the transformer in front of my house as I can
      hear the
      > hum outside as well but mostly it isn't as loud outdoors.
      > I asked my neighbours if they could hear it and the answer was no.
      > Then we had a blackout for several hours and I could still hear the
      hum both
      > inside and out, so bang went that theory.
      > Everyone told me I needed to get my hearing tested.
      >
      > I have since read somewhere that broadband has been suggested as being a
      > possible culprit, I do know that where I am living they upgraded the
      phone
      > lines to allow for ultra high speed DSL which is one of the main
      reasons we
      > thought this area was ideal as neither of us wanted to give up high
      speed
      > internet.
      >
      > I have been at my wit's end trying to figure this out and have taken to
      > playing music to get to sleep, I can hear the hum over the music, in
      fact it
      > is louder but it does help a bit, at least most of the time.
      > I do wake up in the night though and that is when it is at its
      worst, I can
      > feel vibrations through the bed .
      > I have always had very acute hearing and low frequency noise has always
      > tended to distress me.
      > This is my worst nightmare come true.
      >
      > Am living in hope that it will disappear the way it came and I will
      wake up
      > one morning to the sounds of silence.
      >
      > Btw, my husband doesn't hear it and I think he had me heading for a
      padded
      > cell until he saw the article in the paper about the hum in new
      zealand, so
      > he is now taking me more seriously .
      > It somehow does make it easier to live with when you know that
      others are
      > suffering with you .....misery loves company maybe :-)
      >
      > Helen Poirier

    • CAROL PICKER
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 1, 2006
        Welcome to the nightmare Helen.

        >From: "Helen Poirier" <helenpoirier@...>
        >To: humforum@yahoogroups.com
        >Subject: HUM_FORUM: Greetings.
        >Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2006 12:00:10 -0400
        >
        >Hi all,
        >Just a line to introduce myself .
        >I am Aussie married to a Canuck who retired in April this year.
        >We bought a house in a rural area in New Brunswick and started renovating
        >the house in May.
        >First thing we did was rip up all the carpets to get ready to lay hardwood,
        >so for a few weeks we were walking around on plywood.
        >By June we had laid hardwood floors and it was around that time that I
        >first
        >noticed the hum, which I thought was the new fridge we had bought which is
        >pretty noisy and thought there must be something wrong with the compressor,
        >as it sounded like it was running non stop , yet when I stood in front of
        >the fridge the noise was hardly noticeable.
        >

        >Eventually I tried turning off the fridge but the noise was still there.
        >I figured it must be the transformer in front of my house as I can hear the
        >hum outside as well but mostly it isn't as loud outdoors.
        >I asked my neighbours if they could hear it and the answer was no.
        >Then we had a blackout for several hours and I could still hear the hum
        >both
        >inside and out, so bang went that theory.
        >Everyone told me I needed to get my hearing tested.
        >
        >I have since read somewhere that broadband has been suggested as being a
        >possible culprit, I do know that where I am living they upgraded the phone
        >lines to allow for ultra high speed DSL which is one of the main reasons we
        >thought this area was ideal as neither of us wanted to give up high speed
        >internet.
        >
        >I have been at my wit's end trying to figure this out and have taken to
        >playing music to get to sleep, I can hear the hum over the music, in fact
        >it
        >is louder but it does help a bit, at least most of the time.
        >I do wake up in the night though and that is when it is at its worst, I can
        >feel vibrations through the bed .
        >I have always had very acute hearing and low frequency noise has always
        >tended to distress me.
        >This is my worst nightmare come true.
        >
        >Am living in hope that it will disappear the way it came and I will wake up
        >one morning to the sounds of silence.
        >
        >Btw, my husband doesn't hear it and I think he had me heading for a padded
        >cell until he saw the article in the paper about the hum in new zealand, so
        >he is now taking me more seriously .
        >It somehow does make it easier to live with when you know that others are
        >suffering with you .....misery loves company maybe :-)
        >
        >Helen Poirier

        Use your PC to make calls at very low rates
        https://voiceoam.pcs.v2s.live.com/partnerredirect.aspx
      • Helen Poirier
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 2, 2006
          Hello there Lesley,

          Nice to hear from an aussie even if the reason behind it is extremely unpleasant.
          I really wonder how it is that some people don't hear it during the day..
          I can manage to block it out a lot during the daytime but it is always there unless I go to the city of Moncton which is about an hour away from where I live.
          To me the hum sounds like a diesel engine idling non stop which at times seems to get louder to the point of vibrating if that makes any sense.

          My fridge compressor seems to like playing duets with it all night :-)
          I listen to music at night but can still hear the hum unless I have the volume turned up a bit but even then it comes back with a vengeance between tracks so then have to try and tune it out at the start of each new track.
          So the idea of a noise masker is very attractive to me and I will be looking into that for sure.

          helen