Headaches and dreams

  • mack_colin
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 3, 2006
      A rather worrying side effect of the hum, is that if you do not use
      countermeasures (ie, possible hum intrusion when you are sleeping)
      then you can get this straight into your nervous system.

      This can lead to headaches when you wakeup.

      Also, being deprived of sleep night after night for a long period, say
      two weeks, you end up with weird dreams as your body is desperate for
      REM sleep.

      I had read this prevously by others on site, but am now experiencing
      these side effects quite a lot recently, and it really worries me that
      its not just hearing thats affected, but also the body and mind.

      This makes me wonder if a lot of non-hum hearers are also getting
      their bodies affected, even though they do not hear the hum.

      Colin. Scotland
    • Dave at Yaahoo
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 3, 2006
        --- mack_colin <mack_colin@...> wrote:

        > This makes me wonder if a lot of non-hum hearers are also getting
        > their bodies affected, even though they do not hear the hum.
        >
        > Colin. Scotland

        That's a very interesting question, Colin. I too wonder, if many
        people are suffering a myriad of health related issues perhaps
        as a result of whatever it is that causes the Hum, but yet some
        of these people are unaware of the Hum, or are unable to hear it.

        Figure out what causes the hum, find a way to shield people from it,
        and you might have the next rage in alternative 'medicine' that
        people are eager to try!

        -dave
      • andrewyassin
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 4, 2006
          Hòla Colin!

          You mention countermeasures.

          Precisely what is it that you consider countermeasures?

          In my experience - the only thing so far that seems to remove the hum
          is to mask it with ambient sound.

          I have NOT yet tried to shield off any possible electromagnetic causes
          for the hum. I posted a few days ago about experiences with Faraday
          cages - but no straight answer yet. I would very much like to try
          this, but don't feel like reinventing the wheel.

          There is a German forum where "Anke Pohl" reported that she could
          remove the hum by entering a hypomagnetic chamber. But there seemed
          also to an effect of some sort when she entered a RF-screened chamber
          (ie, a proper Faraday cage). My German is not good enough to
          understand the details.

          Clearly, it is not feasible to fall back on hypomagnetic chambers n
          order to ensure proper sleep.

          Please comment on what seems to work as countermeasuers!

          Cheers,
          Jaxz

          --- In humforum@yahoogroups.com, "mack_colin" <mack_colin@...> wrote:

          > A rather worrying side effect of the hum, is that if you do not use
          > countermeasures (ie, possible hum intrusion when you are sleeping)
          > then you can get this straight into your nervous system.
          >
          > This can lead to headaches when you wakeup.
          >
          > Also, being deprived of sleep night after night for a long period, say
          > two weeks, you end up with weird dreams as your body is desperate for
          > REM sleep.
          >
          > I had read this prevously by others on site, but am now experiencing
          > these side effects quite a lot recently, and it really worries me that
          > its not just hearing thats affected, but also the body and mind.
          >
          > This makes me wonder if a lot of non-hum hearers are also getting
          > their bodies affected, even though they do not hear the hum.
          >
          > Colin. Scotland

        • A &J M
          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 4, 2006
            Ambient sound (small fan, etc.),

            Arne
            Central Minnesota

            From: humforum@yahoogroups.com [mailto:humforum@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of andrewyassin

            Hòla Colin!

            .

            Message 5 of 6 , Oct 4, 2006
              In a message dated 05/10/2006 00:33:15 GMT Standard Time, stonehollow@... writes:

              Ambient sound (small fan, etc.),

              Arne
              Central Minnesota

              From: humforum@yahoogroup s.com [mailto:humforum@ yahoogroups. com] On Behalf Of andrewyassin

              Hòla Colin!

              You mention countermeasures.

              Precisely what is it that you consider

              (countermeasures).
              I think he means masking sounds, or anything that can be used to lessen the effect on the hearer.
              I have heard one sound masker that seems to be a very suitable sound : it has a choice of sounds, e.g., sea shore, running water, etc.
              The one that was a steady 'hiss' sound seemed to me to be the best, and I could see how it would probably help a lot of people.
              For years I have used small fans (and large ones, but the trouble with large ones is that they often make their own hum, and sound annoying after a while, if you're trying to sleep.
              I don't get the hum very often now (only it seems when something is going on locally, perhaps bulldozing a building site, or repairing a road, or digging a trench for a cable : luckily for me, if I get an annoying hum, it usually stops after a while, either a few hours or days.
              It's just as well to be reminded of the tension that a constant nuisance low frequency noise can set up though. It helps me bear in mind what so many others must be still going through.
              Some people have found that Active Noise Control headphones reduce their local hum to a more tolerable level, so that is one possibility to consider. They are not cheap, but worth a try. I am told that the best ones are pilots' sets, but they are even more expensive. But if I were back in the torment I was in for years before setting up the Helpline, I would definitely have wanted to get the best possible headset. The stress that can be set up is so ruinous to general well-being and personal progress.
              This is why everyone's ideas on how to cope are valuable.
              R.M.    England.
              LFNS Helpline.

            • mack_colin
              Message 6 of 6 , Oct 5, 2006
                --- In humforum@yahoogroups.com, "andrewyassin" <jaxzjaxz@...> wrote:

                > Hòla Colin!> You mention countermeasures.> Precisely what is it
                that you consider countermeasures?.......

                Hi Andrew, countermeasures at present are..

                White noise..
                using a fan in the room.
                air-conditioning noise.
                Music or TV playing, also with headphones.
                Active Headphones (never tried this myself).

                Physical blocking..
                Earplugs (do not work well, even airplane earplugs that stop engine
                drone, are still not that good)

                Finally (a warning with this next one, watch you do not damage your
                ear, take extreme care if using this)..
                Cut 30mm off the end of a round plastic felt pen (remove ink felt)
                and insert into ear cavity, works better than any earplug, as cavity
                is filled.