Re: HUM_FORUM: Ben & Jerry's Cooler

  • Angelo Campanella
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 30, 2004
      At 03:01 PM 4/30/2004 +0000, you wrote:
      >Have you all been reading about the new ice cream freezer that the
      >Ben & Jerry ice cream company has come up with. It uses sound waves
      >to cool. See:

      Largely academics tooting their own horn. True, cooling is
      feasible but the volumes cooled so far are minimal, and there may be sound
      emissions emitted from this device. I attended his talk, and I asked
      Garrett of the external noise level. Garrett said it was low because the
      chamber was of thick solid metal, and not much sound can penetrate out of
      it. Operating frequency was one loud tone, about 300 or 3,000 Hz.. I forget
      which.

      Notice there are no numbers (size, cost, energy consumption,
      etc.), other than "a few degrees below freezing", and we all know that ice
      cream likes to be stored at -10 F to -20 F.

      Ben& Jerry's was the sponsoring entity.. A way to spend profit
      money on research that is not taxed.

      >I would like to hear what you all think about this and what
      >implications it has for us.

      Be prepared for an onslaught of curious questions from your peers
      about it.

      Angelo Campanella
      Message 2 of 3 , May 8 9:28 AM

        http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2002/12/021205083952.htm

        I would like to hear what you all think about this and what
        implications it has for us.

        Laurie Williams
        Oklahoma

        I read about it, from the link ,  and 'on the face of it', I don't think it has any implications for us....
        Best Wishes,
        R.M.,   England.