Researcher asks: Anybody try to screen off the Hum with Faraday cage?

  • andrewyassin
    Message 1 of 18 , Oct 2, 2006
      Hi all,
      I hear the hum and so does my wife. This is in south Lapland, North
      Sweden.

      As a research physicist I have access to great instruments to attempt
      to solve this puzzle.

      I have read a lot about the hum, and actually done some very precise
      acoustic measurements. However, the results were that there was NO
      audible signal present at all, even though I could hear it loud and
      clear while measuring.

      I could measure down to 6Hz with very high sensitivity (20dB L-Eq;
      that is linear response over the entire spectrum - no filters) using a
      Bruel&Kjaer 2260 investigator.

      For infra-sound to be perceptible, very high signal levels are usually
      required; that is above ca 90dB L-Eq at 16Hz and increasing with
      decreasing sound frequency.

      This is a truly amasing piece of instrumentation - in Nort sweden it
      could pick up a concorde starting in Paris. However, no luck with the hum.

      Next week I'll do some vibrational studies as well using either a
      Geophone or an accelerometer. Such data might correlate to infra-sound
      loggings made by the IRF at www.irf.se (institute of space physics,
      Umea university). Possibly my hum might come from hydroelectric power
      plants. If so I'll surely be able to measure it.

      However, if the hum is of electromagnetic origin - it should be
      possible to screen off the perceived sound by creating a Faraday cage.

      Did anybody yet rule out that possibility?

      Please post if you tried to screen it off using a proper cage!

      Best regards,
      Jaxz
    • Patty
      Message 2 of 18 , Oct 2, 2006
        Jaxz, Your expertise and accessibilty to sensitive equipment is very
        encouraging. Prior messages 6467, 6481, 6496, and 6499 from Rossen/
        Bulgaria and Jean/Canada deal with different chambers used in
        exeriments in Germany.
        (Message 6499 contains a link to the English translation of the German
        research).
        Thanks for your work! Patty
        CA/US

        --- In humforum@yahoogroups.com, "andrewyassin" <jaxzjaxz@...> wrote:

        > Hi all,
        > I hear the hum and so does my wife. This is in south Lapland, North
        > Sweden.
        >
        > As a research physicist I have access to great instruments to attempt
        > to solve this puzzle.
        >
        > I have read a lot about the hum, and actually done some very precise
        > acoustic measurements. However, the results were that there was NO
        > audible signal present at all, even though I could hear it loud and
        > clear while measuring.
        >
        > I could measure down to 6Hz with very high sensitivity (20dB L-Eq;
        > that is linear response over the entire spectrum - no filters) using a
        > Bruel&Kjaer 2260 investigator.
        >
        > For infra-sound to be perceptible, very high signal levels are usually
        > required; that is above ca 90dB L-Eq at 16Hz and increasing with
        > decreasing sound frequency.
        >
        > This is a truly amasing piece of instrumentation - in Nort sweden it
        > could pick up a concorde starting in Paris. However, no luck with
        the hum.

        > Next week I'll do some vibrational studies as well using either a
        > Geophone or an accelerometer. Such data might correlate to infra-sound
        > loggings made by the IRF at www.irf.se (institute of space physics,
        > Umea university). Possibly my hum might come from hydroelectric power
        > plants. If so I'll surely be able to measure it.
        >
        > However, if the hum is of electromagnetic origin - it should be
        > possible to screen off the perceived sound by creating a Faraday cage.
        >
        > Did anybody yet rule out that possibility?
        >

        > Please post if you tried to screen it off using a proper cage!
        >
        > Best regards,
        > Jaxz

      • Jerry Cummings
        Message 3 of 18 , Oct 2, 2006
          Patty, you are so right - this posting by Jaxz has made my heart sing - I have, personally, absolutely removed any idea that this "hum" is internal in any way. I don't, or can't, give any credence to anyone who implies that it is. So, to get this note from Jaxz - well, yes - it is encouraging.
          Jerry - Florida Panhandle

          At 09:26 AM 10/2/2006, you wrote:

          Jaxz, Your expertise and accessibilty to sensitive equipment is very
          encouraging. Prior messages 6467, 6481, 6496, and 6499 from Rossen/
          Bulgaria and Jean/Canada deal with different chambers used in
          exeriments in Germany.
          (Message 6499 contains a link to the English translation of the German
          research).
          Thanks for your work! Patty
          CA/US

          --- In humforum@yahoogroups.com, "andrewyassin" <jaxzjaxz@...> wrote:

          > Hi all,
          > I hear the hum and so does my wife. This is in south Lapland, North
          > Sweden.
          >
          > As a research physicist I have access to great instruments to attempt
          > to solve this puzzle.
          >
          > I have read a lot about the hum, and actually done some very precise
          > acoustic measurements. However, the results were that there was NO
          > audible signal present at all, even though I could hear it loud and
          > clear while measuring.
          >
          > I could measure down to 6Hz with very high sensitivity (20dB L-Eq;
          > that is linear response over the entire spectrum - no filters) using a
          > Bruel&Kjaer 2260 investigator.
          >
          > For infra-sound to be perceptible, very high signal levels are usually
          > required; that is above ca 90dB L-Eq at 16Hz and increasing with
          > decreasing sound frequency.
          >
          > This is a truly amasing piece of instrumentation - in Nort sweden it
          > could pick up a concorde starting in Paris. However, no luck with
          the hum.

          > Next week I'll do some vibrational studies as well using either a
          > Geophone or an accelerometer. Such data might correlate to infra-sound
          > loggings made by the IRF at www.irf.se (institute of space physics,
          > Umea university). Possibly my hum might come from hydroelectric power
          > plants. If so I'll surely be able to measure it.
          >
          > However, if the hum is of electromagnetic origin - it should be
          > possible to screen off the perceived sound by creating a Faraday cage.
          >
          > Did anybody yet rule out that possibility?
          >

          > Please post if you tried to screen it off using a proper cage!
          >
          > Best regards,
          > Jaxz

          This e-mail signature is my way of supporting KATHERINE HARRIS for U.S. Senate.

        • Dave at Yaahoo
          Message 4 of 18 , Oct 2, 2006
            Jerry,

            I'm just a bit confused. Jaxz's post seems to say that he has thus
            far been unable to measure anything with sensitive equipment (which
            I believe is consistent with older research). So wouldn't this
            support the theory that the sound *is* internal?

            Not that I personally think the Hum is internal, but I'm just not
            clear how you see Jaxz's results as suggesting that the Hum is
            external?

            -dave

            --- Jerry Cummings <futures8@...> wrote:

            > Patty, you are so right - this posting by Jaxz has made my heart sing
            > - I have, personally, absolutely removed any idea that this "hum" is
            > internal
            > in any way. I don't, or can't, give any credence to anyone who
            > implies that it is. So, to get this note from Jaxz - well, yes - it
            > is encouraging.
            > Jerry - Florida Panhandle
            >

            > At 09:26 AM 10/2/2006, you wrote:
            >
            > >Jaxz, Your expertise and accessibilty to sensitive equipment is very
            > >encouraging. Prior messages 6467, 6481, 6496, and 6499 from Rossen/
            > >Bulgaria and Jean/Canada deal with different chambers used in
            > >exeriments in Germany.
            > >(Message 6499 contains a link to the English>research).
            > >Thanks for your work! Patty
            > >CA/US
            > >
            > >--- In <mailto:humforum%40yahoogroups.com>humforum@yahoogroups.com,
            > >"andrewyassin" <jaxzjaxz@...> wrote:
            > > >
            > > > Hi all,
            > > > I hear the hum and so does my wife. This is in south Lapland,
            > > > North Sweden.
            > > >
            > > > As a research physicist I have access to great instruments to
            > > > attempt to solve this puzzle.
            > > >
            > > > I have read a lot about the hum, and actually done some very
            > > > precise
            > > > acoustic measurements. However, the results were that there was
            > > > NO
            > > > audible signal present at all, even though I could hear it loud
            > > > and clear while measuring.
            > > >
            > > > I could measure down to 6Hz with very high sensitivity (20dB
            > > > L-Eq;
            > > > that is linear response over the entire spectrum - no filters)
            > > > using a Bruel&Kjaer 2260 investigator.
            > > >
            > > > For infra-sound to be perceptible, very high signal levels are
            > > > usually
            > > > required; that is above ca 90dB L-Eq at 16Hz and increasing with
            > > > decreasing sound frequency.
            > > >
            > > > This is a truly amasing piece of instrumentation - in Nort sweden
            > > > it
            > > > could pick up a concorde starting in Paris. However, no luck with
            > > > the hum.
            > > >
            > > > Next week I'll do some vibrational studies as well using either a
            > > > Geophone or an accelerometer. Such data might correlate to
            > > > infra-sound
            > > > loggings made by the IRF at www.irf.se (institute of space
            > > > physics,
            > > > Umea university). Possibly my hum might come from hydroelectric
            > > > power plants. If so I'll surely be able to measure it.
            > > >
            > > > However, if the hum is of electromagnetic origin - it should be
            > > > possible to screen off the perceived sound by creating a Faraday
            > > > cage.
            > > >
            > > > Did anybody yet rule out that possibility?
            > > >

            > > > Please post if you tried to screen it off using a proper cage!
            > > >
            > > > Best regards,
            > > > Jaxz
          • Rossen
            Message 5 of 18 , Oct 2, 2006
              Hello Jaxz,
              What is the main frequency of your hum? Does your wife hear the same
              frequency? Where do you and your wife hear the hum - in left, right
              or in two ears?

              Rossen
              Sofia, Bulgaria

              --- In humforum@yahoogroups.com, "andrewyassin" <jaxzjaxz@...> wrote:

              > Hi all,
              > I hear the hum and so does my wife. This is in south Lapland, North
              > Sweden.
              >
              > As a research physicist I have access to great instruments to
              attempt
              > to solve this puzzle.
              >
              > I have read a lot about the hum, and actually done some very precise
              > acoustic measurements. However, the results were that there was NO
              > audible signal present at all, even though I could hear it loud and
              > clear while measuring.
              >
              > I could measure down to 6Hz with very high sensitivity (20dB L-Eq;
              > that is linear response over the entire spectrum - no filters)
              using a
              > Bruel&Kjaer 2260 investigator.
              >
              > For infra-sound to be perceptible, very high signal levels are
              usually
              > required; that is above ca 90dB L-Eq at 16Hz and increasing with
              > decreasing sound frequency.
              >
              > This is a truly amasing piece of instrumentation - in Nort sweden it
              > could pick up a concorde starting in Paris. However, no luck with
              the hum.

              > Next week I'll do some vibrational studies as well using either a
              > Geophone or an accelerometer. Such data might correlate to infra-
              sound
              > loggings made by the IRF at www.irf.se (institute of space physics,
              > Umea university). Possibly my hum might come from hydroelectric
              power
              > plants. If so I'll surely be able to measure it.
              >
              > However, if the hum is of electromagnetic origin - it should be
              > possible to screen off the perceived sound by creating a Faraday
              cage.

              > Did anybody yet rule out that possibility?
              >

              > Please post if you tried to screen it off using a proper cage!
              >
              > Best regards,
              > Jaxz

            • Bill Curry
              Message 6 of 18 , Oct 2, 2006
                Re: HUM_FORUM:   Re: Researcher asks: Anybody try to screen  off the Hum with Faraday cage? Folks,

                   I am very interested to see that Jaxz's experiments seem to rule out external acoustical signals in his area.  When I was part of the Kokomo Hum study (reports from which are somewhere in the archives of this list), Jim Cowan and his people from Acentech, Inc used similar acoustic equipment and found infrasound in a few locations restricted to specific industrial sources.  However, my study (as a consultant for Acentech) suggested (for the Kokomo location) electromagnetic sources.  The prevailing theory of microwave hearing fit the measurement pattern, except for its requirement of two orders of magnitude higher RF radiation energy depostion rate than was apparent from my measurements.  Since that work, I have concluded that someone needs to study whether microwave hearing can be perceived at much lower energy depostition rate when the RF pulses resonate with human brain waves.  On the basis of preliminary experiments carried out by Dr. Gerd Oberfeld (a Public Health doctor in Salzburg, Austria) and his colleagues at the University of Salzburg in 2005, I expect this is true.  Oberfeld and his colleagues found that RF radiation pulses from a GSM digital phone system base station caused measureable changes in the brain waves of human volunteers 80 meters from the antennas, but on the same physical level as the antennas.  GSM RF pulses were earlier predicted to resonate with two types of human brain waves in an article in the Lancet in 2000 by G.J. Hyland.   Further, some of the volunteers in Oberfeld's experiments reported hearing buzzes in their heads when exposed to this radiation.  The measured radiation density was only 0.3 microwatt per square centimeter - 3000 times less than the US FCC's safety limits.  ICNRP has similar limits, but I don't know specifically what they are.  I think that Salzburg has limits of only 0.02 microwatt per square centimeter on the basis of earlier work done by Oberfeld and his colleagues in Austria and in Spain.

                   Jaxz, keep making your acoustic measurements, but don't prematurely exclude electromagnetic origin for the Hum.  I don't think we know enough to exclude either possibility, yet.

                Regards, Bill

                |Bill P. Curry, PhD         EMSciTek Consulting Co.|
                |(630 858-9377              Fax (630) 858-9159     |
                |               Physics is fun!                    | |__________________________________________________|

                Message 7 of 18 , Oct 2, 2006
                  Like me, Jaxz has alluded that the "hum" may be electrical - a reason that the "hum" would not be measurable on his sensitive equipment - and I just wanted to get my two cents in before there was a barrage of replies saying that the hum can not be measured is because it is "internal" - it is NOT internal. I solidly believe that this hum is created via some electrical "source".

                • mack_colin
                  Message 8 of 18 , Oct 3, 2006
                    This is very interesting news, as we really do need experts to work
                    out whether this hum is acustic or electro-magnetic.

                    A possible clue to the hums nature, is that the majority of us hear it
                    in a building but not outside, and that the shape and dimensions of
                    the room (room cavity) seems to affect the amplification of the hum
                    effect.

                    You will know from your own experience that certain areas of your own
                    house is worse than other parts. I find my long narrow corridor on the
                    upper floor the worst, yet its away from external windows.

                    To me that seems an electo-magnetic effect, which I personally think
                    is what we are being hit with.

                    It would be a great first step if we knew the true nature of all this,
                    so we could find a good countermeasure.

                    Colin, Scotland.
                  • Patty
                    Message 9 of 18 , Oct 3, 2006
                      Does a majority hear the hum indoors? I don't think we have enough
                      input to make that determination. People who live in urban areas may
                      not hear it outside only because there's more ambient noise than in
                      rural or wilderness areas. In other words, environment may be a factor.

                      --- In humforum@yahoogroups.com, "mack_colin" <mack_colin@...> wrote:

                      > This is very interesting news, as we really do need experts to work
                      > out whether this hum is acustic or electro-magnetic.
                      >
                      > A possible clue to the hums nature, is that the majority of us hear it
                      > in a building but not outside, and that the shape and dimensions of
                      > the room (room cavity) seems to affect the amplification of the hum
                      > effect.
                      >
                      > You will know from your own experience that certain areas of your own
                      > house is worse than other parts. I find my long narrow corridor on the
                      > upper floor the worst, yet its away from external windows.
                      >
                      > To me that seems an electo-magnetic effect, which I personally think
                      > is what we are being hit with.
                      >
                      > It would be a great first step if we knew the true nature of all this,
                      > so we could find a good countermeasure.
                      >
                      > Colin, Scotland.

                    • Dave at Yaahoo
                      Message 10 of 18 , Oct 3, 2006
                        Without having taken an actual poll, or having gone back and reviewed
                        past messages, MY impression has definitely been that most people
                        hear it indoors, and only a few can hear it outdoors - and usually
                        with difficulty at that.

                        I live in a rural area, and pretty much only hear it indoors. I've
                        heard it as I walk outdoors, but it quickly disappears into the
                        ambient sounds of open space.

                        -dave

                        --- Patty <sugarpineinc@...> wrote:

                        > Does a majority hear the hum indoors? I don't think we have enough
                        > input to make that determination. People who live in urban areas may
                        > not hear it outside only because there's more ambient noise than in
                        > rural or wilderness areas. In other words, environment may be a
                        > factor.
                      • andrewyassin
                        Message 11 of 18 , Oct 4, 2006
                          Hi Rossen!

                          We tried to match the hum to complex computer generated signals.
                          It was not possible to get a good match, but my best estimate was a
                          Squared-sine signal with base frequency of about 60-61Hz.

                          My wife almost gave up, but pinned it down to something like 50-70 Hz
                          but as a pure sine tone.

                          I never thought of how we hear it - surely that means I hear it as if
                          it affected both ears. But it seems more like it just appears inside
                          my head - though I also often experience it as a vibration of some sort.

                          Outdoors, I sometimes "feel" it in my feet.
                          Note - the intensity varies significantly between relatively close
                          spots. that we "hear" it most clearly indoors may very well be due to
                          the much lower ambient noise levels. Indoors at our cottage in the
                          Swedish countryside it is, according to my measuerements, extremely
                          quiet. Well, except for the hum...

                          I have managed to interest one of the foremost authorities in the
                          world on vibrations and infrasound, but time and poor weahther may
                          preclude a more detailed study this fall.

                          Anyway - this old professor knows about the Taos hum, as well as
                          similar "incidents" in north Sweden over the past 3-4 decades.

                          Some cases could be explained by vibrations in the ground (turbines
                          main frequencies), some could not.

                          I'm currently trying to find data on the turbines in all hydroelectric
                          power plants in the region. Hopefully I may be able to match such data
                          to some measurable entity.

                          Another theory is the 3G network that has grown exponentially around
                          here. However unlikely due to the low fields, it is the one main
                          difference during the last few years around here. The 3G system
                          operates at 2.1GHz, and might possibly somehow (note the vague
                          language ...) augment RF-induced effects synergistically with the
                          older GSM (900MHz) system.

                          To rule that out I'd like to try to shield off the RF-fields.
                          But I don't want to reinvent the wheel. Surely somebody has already
                          tried that?

                          It is however not easy to create a good Farady cage. You did mention a
                          few disadvantages of the steel box approach - acoustic resonances
                          etc-, though your post seemed to be geared towards reducing also
                          static magnetic fields.

                          But a reasonably good shield should easily be possible to create using
                          reinforced cloth such as that found at www.electrosmog.de

                          Any experiences of the usefulness of a decent RF-shield?

                          Cheers,
                          Jaxz

                          --- In humforum@yahoogroups.com, "Rossen" <brumnauka@...> wrote:

                          > Hello Jaxz,
                          > What is the main frequency of your hum? Does your wife hear the same
                          > frequency? Where do you and your wife hear the hum - in left, right
                          > or in two ears?
                          >
                          > Rossen
                          > Sofia, Bulgaria
                          >
                          > --- In humforum@yahoogroups.com, "andrewyassin" <jaxzjaxz@> wrote:
                          > >
                          > > Hi all,
                          > > I hear the hum and so does my wife. This is in south Lapland, North
                          > > Sweden.
                          > >
                          > > As a research physicist I have access to great instruments to
                          > attempt
                          > > to solve this puzzle.
                          > >
                          > > I have read a lot about the hum, and actually done some very precise
                          > > acoustic measurements. However, the results were that there was NO
                          > > audible signal present at all, even though I could hear it loud and
                          > > clear while measuring.
                          > >
                          > > I could measure down to 6Hz with very high sensitivity (20dB L-Eq;
                          > > that is linear response over the entire spectrum - no filters)
                          > using a
                          > > Bruel&Kjaer 2260 investigator.
                          > >
                          > > For infra-sound to be perceptible, very high signal levels are
                          > usually
                          > > required; that is above ca 90dB L-Eq at 16Hz and increasing with
                          > > decreasing sound frequency.
                          > >
                          > > This is a truly amasing piece of instrumentation - in Nort sweden it
                          > > could pick up a concorde starting in Paris. However, no luck with
                          > the hum.
                          > >
                          > > Next week I'll do some vibrational studies as well using either a
                          > > Geophone or an accelerometer. Such data might correlate to infra-
                          > sound
                          > > loggings made by the IRF at www.irf.se (institute of space physics,
                          > > Umea university). Possibly my hum might come from hydroelectric
                          > power
                          > > plants. If so I'll surely be able to measure it.
                          > >
                          > > However, if the hum is of electromagnetic origin - it should be
                          > > possible to screen off the perceived sound by creating a Faraday
                          > cage.
                          > >
                          > > Did anybody yet rule out that possibility?
                          > >

                          > > Please post if you tried to screen it off using a proper cage!
                          > >
                          > > Best regards,
                          > > Jaxz

                        • andrewyassin
                          Message 12 of 18 , Oct 4, 2006
                            Hi Bill!

                            This seems VERY interesting. Are you in contact with Oberfeld - where
                            is his work published? How do you know about his preliminary 2005 work?

                            Anyway - I'll contact his coauthor Hallberg (Swede).

                            As a sidenote - Allan Frey extrapolated his data on RF-hearining in
                            the early 60-ies. In an absolutely quite chamber his estimate was that
                            RF-hearing can be induced at fields down to something like: 3uW/cm2,
                            that is just one order of magnitude off the Oberfeld field strenghts.

                            Given that RF-fields interact with the human nervous system in various
                            ways, the presence of both GSM, 3G and also other signals related to
                            ordinary radio/television and possibly defence related systems, it
                            does not seem extremely unlikely that perceived effects be related to
                            these RF fields.

                            Do you know of anybody actually trying to shut down the hum using a
                            Faraday cage?

                            Clearly, as Rossen points out, a metal box is not very practical.

                            Perhaps such a simple thing as a canope made out of some RF-reflecting
                            silver-reinforced cloth (such as the Aaronia-shield,
                            www.electrosmog.de) might do the trick?

                            But surely somebody has already tried this?

                            Cheers,
                            jaxz

                            --- In humforum@yahoogroups.com, Bill Curry <bpcurry@...> wrote:

> [...]
                            > > - I have, personally, absolutely removed any idea that this "hum" is
                            > > internal
                            > > in any way. I don't, or can't, give any credence to anyone who
                            > > implies that it is. So, to get this note from Jaxz - well, yes - it
                            > > is encouraging.
                            > > Jerry - Florida Panhandle
                            > >

                            > > At 09:26 AM 10/2/2006, you wrote:
                            > >
                            > > >Jaxz, Your expertise and accessibilty to sensitive equipment is very
                            > > >encouraging. Prior messages 6467, 6481, 6496, and 6499 from Rossen/
                            > > >Bulgaria and Jean/Canada deal with different chambers used in
                            > > >exeriments in Germany.
                            > > >(Message 6499 contains a link to the English>research).
                            > > >Thanks for your work! Patty
                            > > >CA/US
                            > > >
                            > > >--- In <mailto:humforum%40yahoogroups.com>humforum@yahoogroups.com
                            > <mailto:humforum%40yahoogroups.com> ,

                            > |Bill P. Curry, PhD EMSciTek Consulting Co.|

                          • andrewyassin
                            Message 13 of 18 , Oct 4, 2006
                              OK,
                              I hear it very cleraly indoors (yes, rather high pointed wooden
                              cottage out in the wilderness - there was some post related to structure)

                              but I also do hear it very clearly in certain spots outside.

                              When driving a car, I often notice the hum most acutely just after
                              turning the engine off, as if my system somehow is primed for
                              hum-perception by driving (exposure to continuos high levels of
                              infrasound). I think Demming alluded to that effect also in his paper.

                              Outdoors masking by ambient sounds clearly plays a role, and resonance
                              effects are most likely reduced/eliminated.

                              But inside a car I think perception can be augmented both by reducing
                              ambient noise, as well as acting as a resonant cavity (either for
                              sound, vibrations or for RF-fields)

                              Anybody else hear it often after driving, or just sitting in the car?

                              /jaxz

                              --- In humforum@yahoogroups.com, Dave at Yaahoo <ddrinnan@...> wrote:

                              > Without having taken an actual poll, or having gone back and reviewed
                              > past messages, MY impression has definitely been that most people
                              > hear it indoors, and only a few can hear it outdoors - and usually
                              > with difficulty at that.
                              >
                              > I live in a rural area, and pretty much only hear it indoors. I've
                              > heard it as I walk outdoors, but it quickly disappears into the
                              > ambient sounds of open space.
                              >
                              > -dave
                              >

                              > --- Patty <sugarpineinc@...> wrote:
                              > >
                              > > Does a majority hear the hum indoors? I don't think we have enough
                              > > input to make that determination. People who live in urban areas may
                              > > not hear it outside only because there's more ambient noise than in
                              > > rural or wilderness areas. In other words, environment may be a
                              > > factor.

                            • view_5280
                              Message 14 of 18 , Oct 4, 2006
                                --- In humforum@yahoogroups.com, "andrewyassin" <jaxzjaxz@...> wrote:

                                > OK,
                                > I hear it very cleraly indoors
                                > (yes, rather high pointed wooden cottage out in the wilderness
                                > there was some post related to structure)
                                >
                                > but I also do hear it very clearly in certain spots outside.

                                Jaxz:

                                My cabin in northern Minnesota is s an A frame building and
                                the Hum is very noticable indoors at this site, and outdoors as well.

                                Kallio
                              • Rossen
                                Message 15 of 18 , Oct 4, 2006
                                  Hello Jaxz,
                                  About Anke Pohl. She claims that in the RF-chamber her hum doesn't
                                  stops, but in the hypomagnetic chamber it stops. If these observation
                                  are precise, then in my opinion they show that the most usable
                                  radiowaves (long, short, ultrashort and microwave) aren't cause for
                                  the hum. About ULF/ELF and may be VLF they probably can penetrate in
                                  this RF chamber, but for them there are many other contraarguments. I
                                  have made many measurements in these bands and have never found a
                                  correlation with the hum. In 2004 USA stop two of the biggest ELF
                                  transmiters in the world but the hum didn't change.

                                  About the hum and ears. You can understand what is the ear as follows:
                                  Put on the LEFT ear one headphone and change slowly the frequency of
                                  the tone generator. If near the frequency of the hum you feel
                                  beatings then you hear the hum in the RIGHT ear. If you don't hear
                                  beatings then put the headphone on the RIGHT ear and repeat the
                                  procedure. In this case you must hear beatings and this means that
                                  you hear the hum in the LEFT ear. If in two cases you hear beatings
                                  then most probably you hear the hum in TWO ears.

                                  Rossen
                                  Sofia, Bulgaria

                                • andrewyassin
                                  Message 16 of 18 , Oct 4, 2006
                                    OK, I thot Anke Pohl did experience some sort of intensity modulation
                                    in the RF-chamber, probably misunderstood the German.

                                    Have you ever tried to shield off RF-fields and check the hum?

                                    I would very much like to hear of anybody having tried this.

                                    There seems to be a body of research that indicates that resonant
                                    interference in the human brain can result from exposure to very
                                    low-intensity pulsed RF.

                                    Going away for a week - I'll be back!

                                  • A &J M
                                    Message 17 of 18 , Oct 4, 2006
                                      I have never heard it in a car, either while operating or off. I've also
                                      never tried to hear it - I will.

                                      BTW - I highly encourage that you read through the archived posts. Many of
                                      your questions/tests have previously been tried.

                                      Ha det.

                                      Arne
                                      Central Minnesota

                                      Message 18 of 18 , Oct 4, 2006
                                        Re: HUM_FORUM:   Re: Researcher asks: Anybody try to screen  off the Hum with Faraday cage? Hi Jaxz (or should I call you Andrew),

                                           I can answer some of your questions.  First, Gerd Oberfeld's Email address is gerd.oberfeld@....  Second, he hasn't published the study yet, as far as I know, but he sent me a press release in German, and I asked my sister-in-law (a fluent German speaker - much better than my vanishing ability) to translate it.  I can send you either the English version or the German version or both, if you wish.  He also sent me a graph that is part of the study.  It is essentially a power spectrum that shows the shift the the spectrum of the brain waves (measured by EEG) between when the irradiation is off and when it is on.  Oberfeld assured me by Email, that the press release and the graph are authentic and are in agreement with what will be published (if it ever is).  I can send you some of Oberfeld's previous related publications, if you desire.  His paper of a study in Spain has been published.  Third, I met Gerd Oberfeld in Salzburg in 2000 when he hosted the International Scientific Conference on Cell Tower Siting at which scientists from all over the world exchanged information on potential and observed health effects arising from the exponential expansion of RF generating devices in our environment.  Among many other authors, I presented a paper at that conference.  All the papers are downloadable from the web site stated below. http://www.salzburg.gv.at/themen/gs/gesundheit/umweltmedizin/elektrosmog/celltower_e.htm Fourth, his degree is University Doctor of Medicine in Environmental Medicine, and he sometimes collaborates with Michael Kundi and others from the University of Vienna.

                                           I am very interested in learning where you found that microwave hearing could be induced by radiation densities as low as 3 microwatts per square centimeter.  I read many papers as part of the process of writing my report which Jim Cowan sent on to the Kokomo City Council (I think), and I have never seen that specific number.  A fairly recent review of the literature on microwave hearing is the paper published by Chou and Elder in Bioelectromagnetics (2003, I think).  Also, a professor at California Institute of Technology (Caltech) told me that there are some mechanisms more subtle than the standard thermoacoustic model for microwave hearing, and Allan Frey indicated that the thermoacoustic model describes microwave hearing at sufficiently high energy deposition rate, but that there probably are other mechanisms that operate at lower thresholds - but I have not seen any articles on this effect.