Re: The hum in eastern Oslo, Norway

  • Rossen
    Message 1 of 11 , Aug 11, 2006
      Hello Thomas,
      Try to observe one effect what I name "voop-voop" effect. Begin to
      shake your head from left to right with frequency about 2 Hz and see
      what does happen. Does the hum stop when your head is going to right
      (left) and again starts when it is going to left (right)? This very
      character modulation of the hum I name "voop-voop" effect. If it
      happens then you hear the hum only in the right (left) ear. If this
      effect doesn't exist then maybe the hum at the moment is weak or
      maybe you hear it in two ears. The "voop-voop" effect occurs, because
      most probably our detector for hum-emisions is the vestibular
      apparatus.
      About conspiracies: They are possible of course. Some of them maybe
      really exist. But if the hum is product of any conspiracy then it is
      very long continuing conspiracy. In Great Britain, for example, the
      hum has more than 40 years history. I doubt whether is possibly some
      community to keep its secret so long time. "They" must be people,
      also, and nothing human is alien for them, including the treachery.

      Rossen
      Sofia, Bulgaria

      --- In humforum@yahoogroups.com, "t_henden" <t_henden@...> wrote:

> [...]
      it.
      > When it is at its weakest, the TV or radio must be turned almost
      > completly off to hear it. However still then, it is so loud, that
      > sleeping is difficult.
      >
      > Some weeks and months ago, I heard it starting between 2 and 3 in
      the
      > night I think, and it was not very loud as I described, and in the
      > beginning of this week, it also started at that time, but was much
      > louder. Now it is much louder, and is on around the clock, and is
      > louder in the night.
      >
      > I read that there are different conspiracy theories about why it
      > excists, and it would not surprise me, if this is testing of some
      > sonic or electromagnetic weapon, to disturb the population of the
      > targeted country. I would expect that they just check the
      stastistics
      > of sick leave and/or accidents in that part of the country or part
      of
      > the town, and see how well they were able to target the sound and/or
      > electromagnetic radiation. Have not been able to work the last week,
      > because of this sound, so this is getting terrible.
      >
      > When I say the sound is loud, I mean really loud - it feels like
      > 60-70dB or someting on its loudest, which means as I said, the TV
      must
      > be turned on really loud to overcome it. The sounds create a sort of
      > feeling you get in the ears, when putting something in the ears. And
      > no earplugs do not help at all!
      >
      > On thing that adds to the annoyance to the sound, is that it seems
      > shift character, though not frequency. It is like an old electric
      > motor which has been worn, and hums unevenly, or like it is
      described,
      > like a diesel engine which runs unevenly, though with the same
      > frequency. The modulation so to say, has its own frequency, perhaps
      > 0.1-1Hz, which makes the sound vary, often in an uneven pattern, so
      it
      > is impossible to get used to it!
      >
      > I would be glad to hear suggestions about what this could be. I am
      not
      > so fond of 'far out' conspiracy theories with aliens and so on,
      which
      > destroys the credibility of more scientifically possible conspiracy
      > theories. As I mentioned, could this be some sort of military weapon
      > they test on the population?
      >
      > I would guess that the hum also would affect individuals who don't
      > hear them, since we know that infrasounds can give people anxiety,
      > even when they don't hear the sound. Probably, if my military weapon
      > theory is true, they just don't bother with the few of us, actually
      > hearing the sound, which goes a bit under the official low end of
      the
      > audible hearing spectrum of humans.
      >
      > People doing such experiments though, must have very sick minds,
      > destroying the sleep for the rest of us!

    • Thomas Henden
      Message 2 of 11 , Aug 12, 2006
        Yes, it does vary when I shake my head. Its weaker and disappears briefly
        when I shake my head to the right, and comes back after a moment,
        or when I shake my head back to the left. If I shake the other way, it's
        not the same, but there's disturbance to the hum then too.

        The same if I shake my head up and down, so it then seems that
        the vestibular apparatus works like an antenna!

        People have noticed this hum for a long time, however I read one place, that
        the occurance increased in the 90's. Then it stroke me. What if this somehow
        is caused by damage to the inner ear and/or hyper sensitivity to microwave
        radiation or even longer radio waves because of cellphone use?

        I usually try to use a handsfree set with my phone, however it hasn't always
        been
        like that. What do people do here, should we have a quick 'survey' about
        this?

        Hopefully lots of people here deny they are using cellphones much, or we
        could be in
        great trouble. That is - if the hum really is caused by damage to the inner
        ear, because of microwaves!

        Thomas Henden.
        causing hyper sensitivity to radio waves or something)

        From: "Rossen" <brumnauka@...>
> [...]
        > > theory is true, they just don't bother with the few of us, actually
        > > hearing the sound, which goes a bit under the official low end of
        >the
        > > audible hearing spectrum of humans.
        > >
        > > People doing such experiments though, must have very sick minds,
        > > destroying the sleep for the rest of us!
        > >
        > > Thomas Henden.
        > >

        >Posting Guidelines:
        >
        >1. The orientation of this forum is scientific, with everything that
        >implies. Reasoned and articulate criticism of ideas and theories is
        >welcome.
        >2. The following are not allowed: personal attacks, gratuitous profanity,
        >"kook" posts, and supernatural explanations.
        >3. Limit posts to those that are necessary and have substantive content.
        >In general, no more than three per person per day.
        >4. If you hear the Hum, please post your location at:

      • Selene

          From: "Rossen" <brumnauka@yahoo. com>
> [...]
          > > theory is true, they just don't bother with the few of us, actually
          > > hearing the sound, which goes a bit under the official low end of
          >the
          > > audible hearing spectrum of humans.
          > >
          > > People doing such experiments though, must have very sick minds,
          > > destroying the sleep for the rest of us!
          > >
          > > Thomas Henden.
          > >

          >Posting Guidelines:
          >
          >1. The orientation of this forum is scientific, with everything that
          >implies. Reasoned and articulate criticism of ideas and theories is
          >welcome.
          >2. The following are not allowed: personal attacks, gratuitous profanity,
          >"kook" posts, and supernatural explanations.
          >3. Limit posts to those that are necessary and have substantive content.
          >In general, no more than three per person per day.
          >4. If you hear the Hum, please post your location at:

           Carole
          Central California

        • Thomas Henden
          Message 4 of 11 , Aug 12, 2006
            One more thing about the possible or probable connection to
            an irritation of the vestibular apparatus.

            The hum, in my case was much louder, right after the return from a
            vacation, where we actually traveled with a boat!

            I failed to think about the possible connection here, since the boat
            ride itself was very smooth.

            It was a large passenger ship to Denmark, and the waves on the sea were
            minimal, still - a friend of mine, and I got some dizziness right after the
            trip
            which one usually experience after having been on the sea.

            My friend pointed out, that even though the sea is fairly calm, there are
            longer waves in the sea, which will rock the boat and affect the vestibular
            apparatus anyway.

            So my suspicion that the hum is caused by something which is connected with
            an irritation of the vestibular apparatus, combined with RF energy, is
            growing,
            after thinking about these factors, inluding that the experiment who Rossen
            described below, makes the hum briefly go away, if I shake my head.

            Hopefully, cellphone or cordless phone radiation isn't connected to it,
            since wireless
            devices are used, more and more everywhere.

            One more thing: Have anyone noticed if the hum disappears, if there is a
            power outage,
            so that any source of RF-radiation causing the hum, possibly is turned off?

            In my case as earlier mentioned, the hum definitely started between 2 and 3
            in the night,
            so something which causes this, is 'switched on and off'.

            One should observe the difference, between if the power goes out locally,
            and that the
            power goes out regionally, so try to get an idea of how far the source of
            disturbance is,
            again - provided that it is RF-energy which causes the hum.

            One source of error would be that some radio towers might have battery
            backup, or generators
            supplying continous power even during power outages, but hopefully someone
            here, have
            observations during power outages, which could lead us nearer any solutions
            to the 'hum problem'.

            Please give me a hint, if this has been discussed before, I will now go
            through the lots of previous postings in this forum.

            Thomas Henden.

          • Dave at Yaahoo
            Message 5 of 11 , Aug 12, 2006
              Hi Thomas,

              --- Thomas Henden <t_henden@...> wrote:

              > One more thing: Have anyone noticed if the hum disappears, if there
              > is a power outage,
              > so that any source of RF-radiation causing the hum, possibly is
              > turned off?
              >
              > In my case as earlier mentioned, the hum definitely started between 2
              > and 3 in the night,
              > so something which causes this, is 'switched on and off'.
              >
              > One should observe the difference, between if the power goes out
              > locally, and that the
              > power goes out regionally, so try to get an idea of how far the
              > source of disturbance is,
              > again - provided that it is RF-energy which causes the hum.
              >
              > One source of error would be that some radio towers might have
              > battery
              > backup, or generators
              > supplying continous power even during power outages, but hopefully
              > someone here, have
              > observations during power outages, which could lead us nearer any
              > solutions to the 'hum problem'.
              >
              > Please give me a hint, if this has been discussed before, I will now
              > go through the lots of previous postings in this forum.

              I've been a member of this list since April, and a Hum-hearer for
              probably about 8 years now (since 1998-ish).

              I've gone so far as to turn off the electric breaker to my house,
              and still hear the hum.

              Even more interesting is that a few years back we had a nasty
              snowstorm (I live in New England), and our WHOLE TOWN lost
              electricty for about 2-3 days. Yet, the Hum continued unabated.

              There have apparently also been discussions on this list about how
              people have continued to hear the hum out in the wilderness.

              I only know for sure that I hear the Hum at home, but I think I
              hear it other places too. It's difficult to tell when I'm not
              familiar with a new place's sounds.

              I've had the Hum get louder and get softer over time, but I've
              never heard it "switch" on or off. It *does* drift in and out
              of my consciousness, because when I'm focused on something else,
              I can usually "tune it out". So sometimes I'll "suddenly notice
              it" - but I'm confident that it was there the whole time, and I
              simply just noticed it and started paying attention to it.

              -dave (in Connecticut, USA)
            • xfool92
              Message 6 of 11 , Aug 12, 2006
                Thomas, we have talked here many times about the hum and power outages.
                I think there was a split in opinion whether it goes off when the power
                goes off.

                For me, like many others, I tried turning off all power coming into my
                home, and I still hear the hum. So I don't believe that a power outage
                at the individual house level makes any difference because while I think
                the hum is a phenomenon that comes and goes at a local level, I don't
                think it's THAT local to affect a single house. But, during the massive
                power outage in the eastern United States in August 2003, there was dead
                silence for me. I have to admit, though, that I don't hear the hum all
                the time and the power outage could have had nothing to do with it.

                What I can tell you based on all my time here at this forum and my own
                experiences is that:

                1. Trying to turn off your main power in your house has no effect.

                2. Trying to wear ear plugs has no effect, or it may even make the hum
                louder because it cancels out other ambient noises which may be blocking
                your ability to hear the hum.

                3. Not everyone hears the hum on the same day or time. (See the
                Database section, in the Random or other databases). Not everyone in
                the same HOUSE hears the hum. Not everyone hears it at the same volume.
                I hear it most as the "deisel engine idling in the distance" noise but
                have also hear other tones overlayed over that noise, and sometimes the
                sound is hollow.

                4. There is a general feeling that the hum is not an audible sound per
                se, but could be being transmitted possible directly through our bones.
                Some people can even feel it (for me when it's really loud I swear I can
                feel it on the back of my neck).

                5. We've talked about the seismic connection (which I think may have
                some relevance based on experiences from where I am located), we've also
                talked about the "vacation effect" (which I don't believe in), and
                whether people have heard the hum in any other locations besides their
                homes (in all my travels I only have heard it once outside my home, and
                it was at my mother's home 30 miles away).

                6. I think many medications out there can affect hearing or cause
                tinnitus, somewhere here there was a list posted. I can tell you that
                since I was put on Inderal to reduce migraines, the pulsing noise I
                would hear with the hum is gone. I know now that the pulsing effect for
                me was the sound of my own blood rushing through mu head, and since
                Inderal reduced my blood pressure, it stopped the pounding "rush". My
                hum was at the loudest for me when I was on heavy meds for migraines;
                the meds contained aspirin and that causes a buzz or ring in the ears.
                Even with the latter medication stopped, I still hear the hum so not all
                of it was due to meds for me.

                There are a lot of reports in the files section that are very worthwhile
                to read, including Dr Deming's report if it is still there. There is
                also tons of information in previous posts, I know it's al ot to read
                through but i may be worth the time to go back a few months and scan
                them.

                Just be reassured that there are others out there who have the same
                problem as you, I know it's not much of a consolation but at least it
                may help you to feel a little more "normal" about the issue!

                Chris

                Mentor, Ohio, USA

                --- In humforum@yahoogroups.com, "Thomas Henden" <t_henden@...> wrote:

> [...]
                actually
                > > > hearing the sound, which goes a bit under the official low end of
                > >the
                > > > audible hearing spectrum of humans.
                > > >
                > > > People doing such experiments though, must have very sick minds,
                > > > destroying the sleep for the rest of us!
                > > >
                > > > Thomas Henden.
                > > >

                > >Posting Guidelines:
                > >
                > >1. The orientation of this forum is scientific, with everything that
                > >implies. Reasoned and articulate criticism of ideas and theories is
                > >welcome.
                > >2. The following are not allowed: personal attacks, gratuitous
                profanity,
                > >"kook" posts, and supernatural explanations.
                > >3. Limit posts to those that are necessary and have substantive
                content.
                > >In general, no more than three per person per day.
                > >4. If you hear the Hum, please post your location at:

              • Selene
                Message 7 of 11 , Aug 12, 2006
                  I continued to hear the hum during a power outage, and I believe others here have had the same experience.

                   Carole
                  Central California

                • Bill Curry
                  Message 8 of 11 , Aug 12, 2006
                    Re: HUM_FORUM:   The hum and irritation of the vestibular apparatus Hi folks,

                       I want to point out that when power goes off, this stops current flow; however, if there is "dirty power" (induced RF currents mixing with the normal power frequency currents), the induced currents do not cease when the power goes off.  The resultant radiated electromagnetic fields, thus, do not cease either.  Look up "electrical pollution" on Google and you will find references to the work of Dr. Martin Graham (Emeritus Professor of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science at University of California at Berkeley) and Mr. David Stetzer, an electrician in Blair Wisconsin.  Also Stetzer has collaborated with Dr. Magda Havas (an epidemiologist at Trent Universiy, Peterborough, Ontario) in studies of the effect of the RF pollution of power lines on health issues.  In particular, they have used special filters to remove the RF components of currents in residential power lines and documented health improvements.  They have presented their results before a meeting held under the auspices of the World Health Organization.  That paper can be downloaded from the web site on electrical pollution.

                       One other point I wish to make is that Dr. Gerd Oberfeld measured brain wave changes in electromagnetically hypersensitive subjects 80 meters distant from a GSM cellular system base station (cell tower).  He used an RF shielding screen as a shutter, so that he could measure the brain waves (using an EEG) and the radiation density, both when the shutter was open and also when it was closed.  He also administered a questionnaire to these people about their experiences while irradiated, and some reported hearing noises within their heads.  I have a press release about this, but the final paper has not been published.  The experiment took place in Austria last year.  This followed an article in The Lancet in the year 2000 by Dr. G.J. Hyland, predicting that the pulsing pattern of GSM phone systems could resonate with human brain waves of two types - because the 4 characteristic pulsing frequencies of GSM systems included two frequencies that are within the frequency band of two types of brain waves.

                    Good luck to you all.

                    Regards, Bill

                  • humlobotomist
                    Message 9 of 11 , Aug 19, 2006
                      I dutifully read your post also and also the information you
                      provided, and I don't see any connection with the Hum. RF components
                      of currents in residential power lines and GSM cellular system base
                      station (cell tower) is mentioned in your posts. I have no quarrel
                      with that finding. I still see no connection with the Hum. These
                      components can not explain the Hum in rural areas, and therefore must
                      be discarded as an explanation of the Hum.

                      These two factors can not explain an worldwide prescence of the Hum,
                      only one cause can, which I have and will advocate.