Re: HUM_FORUM: The Hum, Gravity and the Inner Ear

  • eleanor@shoestringradio.net
    Message 1 of 20 , Jul 15, 2006
      To: humforum@yahoogroups.com
      From: "chilesgreen" <chilesgreen@...>
      Date sent: Sat, 15 Jul 2006 01:14:15 -0000
      Subject: HUM_FORUM: The Hum, Gravity and the Inner Ear
      Send reply to: humforum@yahoogroups.com

      >Experiments carried out on various types of brick shows that this
      >"wall voltage" is produced by a piezo electric effect and is caused by
      >the oscillating weight of the roof.

      What is the frequency of these wall voltages? Does it
      vary from time to time or building to building?

      Eleanor White
      Hamilton, Ontario
      Canada
    • Selene
      Message 2 of 20 , Jul 15, 2006
        Maybe I'm off on a tangent here, but why is the weight of the roof described as "oscillating"?  As far as I'm aware, the roof on my house just sits there; I'm not aware of any vibration except for that caused by the air conditioner.  I'm no physicist (obviously!), but I have read some articles about string theory.  Is this what the "oscillation" refers to?

        Or is it gravity that is oscillating?  Would somebody please explain just what the heck gravity is, anyway?  We can measure it, but has anybody found a way to create it, or to cancel its effects?

        I've read recently that the Earth's magnetic field has been diminishing over the past couple thousand years, and some are predicting a pole shift in the near future.  Is there any way that could be related to the hum?

        Questions, questions, questions!

        ~ Carole

        To: humforum@yahoogroup s.com
        From: "chilesgreen" <chilesgreen@ yahoo.com>
        Date sent: Sat, 15 Jul 2006 01:14:15 -0000
        Send reply to: humforum@yahoogroup s.com

        >Experiments carried out on various types of brick shows that this
        >"wall voltage" is produced by a piezo electric effect and is caused by
        >the oscillating weight of the roof.

        What is the frequency of these wall voltages? Does it
        vary from time to time or building to building?

        Eleanor White
        Hamilton, Ontario
        Canada

         Carole
        Central California

        Do you Yahoo!?

      • chilesgreen
        Message 3 of 20 , Jul 15, 2006
          <David Deming <profdeming@...> wrote:
          As I have already pointed out, several people have reported that
          the Hum is present when the power grid is off.  People have also
          reported the Hum in wilderness areas far from the electric infrastructure
          of modern civilization.

          I would have thought that these two observations would have been sufficient to falsify the hypothesis.>

          According to the John Dawes Hypothesis the Hum is the accumulative affect of many Power Systems.  If this is true a power failure may not cancel the effect of others.

          As far as hearing it in the wilderness far from the Electrical grid: Perhaps it can only be heard in quiet places.  The ambient noise of a city may drown out  the sensation if it were present.  If it were present in a large city I doubt many would notice.

          Dave

        • Bill Curry
          Message 4 of 20 , Jul 15, 2006
            Re: HUM_FORUM:   Re-Inventing the Wheel To both Dave's:

               The equipment I had including a spectrum analyzer for electromagnetic fields, and it cutoff at about 100 kHz, so I certainly couldn't investigate VLF or ULF electromagnetic waves.  Also my broadband RF meters did not go lower than 500 kHz.  This is not to say8 that there are no instruments that can measure ULF and VLF electromagnetic fields.  I just don't have any.  Remember, that I am retired physicist who buys all his own equipment.  I have concentrated on radio frequency instruments, because I am concerned about the health effects of the burgeoning expansion of RF radiation in our environment.

               Dave who is "chilesgreen" I think you are premature in dismissing electromagnetic sources of the Hum.  My measurements indicated that the pulsed RF sources in Kokomo could account for all characteristics of the Hum on the basis of microwave hearing effects, except that the conventional thermoacoustic model of microwave hearing required about 2 orders of magnitude greater radiation power density than I was measuring.  There are other theoretical mechanisms for microwave hearing that my yet turn out to be significant, although I don't know whether any research in those areas is being funded.

               I also agree with Prof. Deming that any interaction between electromagnetic fields and gravitation seems very far-fetched.  That is partly because these two types of fields are among the weakest forces known.  A force resulting from their interaction would be proportional to the products of these two types of fields and so would be even weaker than either force alone.

               Finally, to Humlobotomist let me say that 1) you have previously posted the same article without any reference to its source, 2) Dr. Nick Begich is a medical doctor, not a researcher in ionospheric physics, 3) rather than quoting titles of patents, you should download them and read them yourself.  They can be obtained from the web site of the U.S. Patent Office. (Look on Google.) Just search for patent by number, after you get on the website of the US Patent Office. They can be purchased online as PDF files (including figures) for about $3.00 USD, but you can read the text online free.  If you read a few of the APTI patents you will discover that some don't have much resemblance to their titles.  Also, I previously pointed out that some of Easlundt's ideas on weather modification by lifting parts of the ionosphere don't stand up to rigorous scrutiny, because they apparently neglect the energy loss due to synchrotron radiation.

               Incidentally, when Eastlund was doing his work for ARCO, Dr. Simon Ramo was on the ARCO Board, and he urged Eastlund to patent his ideas and showed him to make the coverage broader by having several different, but related patents.  You can read about Ramo on the IEEE web site, as he is one to most prolific and most honored scientist/engineers within the IEEE membership.  Look at www.ieee.org.  During his active career, he started several scientific companies, some of them involved in defense work, others in aerospace, but not necessarily in military activities.  The giant company TRW (Thompson Ramo Woolridge) arose from the earlier companies that were collectively spun off from the Ramo-Woolridge Corp.  Two of these companies were STL (Space Technology Laboratories) and Aerospace Corp.  Ramo is sill alive, as far as I know, and his life story (as told on the IEEE pages) is very interesting.

               To tie some of this back to Hum related phenomena, let me tell you a little anecdote: when I was still in my twenties and working for an Air Force lab in Tennessee, STL had a rocket nose cone model installed in a very large wind tunnel at our lab.  They were using dynamic pressure transducers installed in holes in the model.  There were many transducers in the surface of the nose cone model, and each one cost $400.  Each transducer sat in a shallow, but wide well that was connected to the outer flow around the model surface by a narrow neck.  This geometric construction is called a "Helmholtz resonator."  Remember the old coke bottles that had narrow necks but wide bellies.  You could blow across the neck of the bottle and produce a resonant tone.  That's what happened to the model with the transducers.  They were supposed to map out the pressure fluctuations over the model with the air moving at almost the speed of sound.  The first measurements showed no pressure fluctuations, and the STL test engineer said to drill the holes slightly bigger.  When they did that, they his a resonance and the pressure fluctuations were so large that they destroyed the transducers!  This plus the lost test time meant a loss of over $10,000 to STL and the Air Force (in 1961 or 1962.  My boss asked me to calculate the properties of these resonators and find out what had happened.  When I did so, I found out that drilling the holes (at the neck) a little larger had caused the acoustical response to be shifted right up to the shoulder of one of the several Helmholtz resonator peaks - something that the STL engineer could have anticipated, had he bothered to do his homework, instead of just saying "drill it a little larger." This shows that acoustical resonances can be very powerful, indeed!

            Regards to all, Bill

            on 7/15/06 3:09 PM, David Deming at profdeming@... wrote:

            > If the Hum were an electric/magnetic or acoustic phenomenon it would be
            > easy to detect and block.  How can you block a modulated gravitational
            > field?  Gravity penetrates all dimensions.

            Low-frequency sound waves tend to be omni-directional,
            and very difficult to source and trace.

            It is difficult to find equipment that will measure or
            detect radio waves in the VLF range and below.   For
            example, Dr. Bill Curry, who was the physicist that
            consulted on the Kokomo Hum investigation, admitted
            that the range of his equipment does not extend to
            the VLF range or below (correct me if I'm mistaken,
            Bill).

            The reason the VLF range is important is that these
            are the frequencies the US Navy uses for submarine
            communications, and a prime suspect as the cause
            of the Hum.

            As has also been previously discussed on this Forum
            and in the literature, blocking EM waves is a function
            of skin depth.  It requires a considerable thickness of
            a conductor (e.g., several millimeters) to effectively
            block low-frequency radio waves.  This is all discussed
            in my paper on the Hum that was published in 2004
            and now can be downloaded for free on the files section
            of the Hum Forum website.

            I would encourage everyone to read the work and analyses
            that others have already done.  We will never get anywhere
            by continually having to re-invent the wheel.

            --DD

            |Bill P. Curry, PhD         EMSciTek Consulting Co.|
            |(630 858-9377              Fax (630) 858-9159     |
            |               Physics is fun!                    | |__________________________________________________|
          • chilesgreen
            Message 5 of 20 , Jul 15, 2006
              --- In humforum@yahoogroups.com, Bill Curry <bpcurry@...> wrote:

              My measurements indicated that the pulsed RF sources in Kokomo could
              account for all characteristics of the Hum on the basis of microwave
              hearing effects, except that the conventional thermoacoustic model of
              microwave hearing required about 2 orders of magnitude greater radiation
              power density than I was measuring. There are other theoretical
              mechanisms for microwave hearing that my yet turn out to be significant,
              although I don't know whether any research in those areas is being
              funded.

              If it were microwaves causing this I would definitely be scared.
              I haven't gone as far as putting tin foil (Faraday Cage) around my
              house, but from what I've read it doesn't work as far as blocking the
              Hum. I gather you are also a Hearer. We are fortunate to have someone
              of your background on this forum.
            • Selene

                Message 7 of 20 , Jul 16, 2006
                  RE: HUM_FORUM: The Hum, Gravity and the Inner Ear

                  1 - Sharp movements of the head do not change my hum
                  2 - Pressing on the soft tissue of the ear does not change my hum
                  3 - Never experience nausea with my hum.
                  4 - I hear the hum very strongly in the Canadian wilderness, if there's no wind or background noise (like waves).
                  5 - If the national power grid is modulating the gravitational field, someone has discovered a way to create nano black holes.   It is not only impossible to block gravity (as far as we know), it's also impossible to create gravity without mass (as far as we know).

                  Does not pass the sanity test for me.

                  Arne

                  ________________________________

                  From: humforum@yahoogroups.com [mailto:humforum@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of chilesgreen

                  The Hum, Gravity and the Inner Ear

                  ...We now arrive at the somewhat startling notion that the national power
                  grid is modulating the gravitational field and that this modulation
                  can be detected in the inner ear of some individuals.
                  This would also explain why all attempts to block or screen the Hum
                  have failed for as far as is known, it is no possible to block a
                  gravitational field.

                • Jerry Cummings

                    Message 9 of 20 , Jul 18, 2006
                      Hi ~ Carole!
                      Message 3626 provides links to two May 2005 news articles about the
                      sheet metaled house near Sacramento, CA.

                      Message 1134 provides address information about US Senator Dianne
                      Feinstein's interest in a possible em sound in San Francisco.

                      I can't update or research any updates. Could you, or someone else?
                      Messages 3626 and 1134 should provide enough info to get started.
                      I have the email address for family members living in the sheet
                      metaled house.
                      Patty

                      --- In humforum@yahoogroups.com, Selene <ccarrike@...> wrote:

                      > Patty, didn't you post something about some people in Sacramento who
                      tried shielding their entire house, and ran into trouble with City
                      officials and their neighbors because of the way it looked? Do you
                      still have the cite for that article? Any updates?

                      > ~ Carole
                      >
                      > chilesgreen <chilesgreen@...> wrote:
                      > --- In humforum@yahoogroups.com, Bill Curry <bpcurry@> wrote:
                      >
                      > My measurements indicated that the pulsed RF sources in Kokomo could
                      > account for all characteristics of the Hum on the basis of microwave
                      > hearing effects, except that the conventional thermoacoustic model of
                      > microwave hearing required about 2 orders of magnitude greater radiation
                      > power density than I was measuring. There are other theoretical
                      > mechanisms for microwave hearing that my yet turn out to be significant,
                      > although I don't know whether any research in those areas is being
                      > funded.
                      >
                      > If it were microwaves causing this I would definitely be scared.
                      > I haven't gone as far as putting tin foil (Faraday Cage) around my
                      > house, but from what I've read it doesn't work as far as blocking the
                      > Hum. I gather you are also a Hearer. We are fortunate to have someone
                      > of your background on this forum.
                      >

                      > Carole
                      > Central California

                      > Yahoo! Music Unlimited - Access over 1 million songs.Try it free.

                    • Selene
                      Message 10 of 20 , Jul 18, 2006
                        I did a brief search on Google; found references to the original story but no updates.

                        Carole