Bay Ridge Hum (New York City)

  • David Deming
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 1, 2006
      Something May Be Fishy About Hum Keeping Bay Ridge Residents Awake

      BY MATTHEW LYSIAK - Special to the Sun
      June 1, 2006

      HMMMM. This mysterious sound in the waters off Bay Ridge, Brooklyn, has baffled
      residents for months. A low pitched vibration known simply as the "Bay Ridge Hum" heard
      near the shore next to the Verrazano Bridge has left some locals not only scratching their
      heads in frustration but deprived of sleep, too.

      While several hypotheses as to the cause - passing trains, treatment plants, even UFOs -
      have been floated, so to speak, one new hunch is that fish may cause it.

      "Everyone is just dying to find out what is making that noise," the district manager of
      Brooklyn Community Board No.10, which includes Bay Ridge, Josephine Beckmann, said.
      "We have been getting calls since last spring."

      (for the rest of the story, follow the URL above.)
    • xfool92
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 1, 2006
        Hmmm....fish? Well, that's a new one. Although I can almost believe
        it. I also live very close (3 miles from shore) to a large body of
        water (Lake Erie) and I suppose that there could be a fish or some other
        aquatic being there that could be causing the noise. I never even would
        have considered it. Still, why do some people in the same area hear it
        and others not? Could some of us have what is akin to "dog" hearing -
        that we hear noises that other can't? Why would we all hear a similar
        sound if the sound possibly is coming from different fish?

        Regardless, and interesting theory.

        --- In humforum@yahoogroups.com, "David Deming" <profdeming@...> wrote:

        > Something May Be Fishy About Hum Keeping Bay Ridge Residents Awake
        >
        > BY MATTHEW LYSIAK - Special to the Sun
        > June 1, 2006
        >
        > HMMMM. This mysterious sound in the waters off Bay Ridge, Brooklyn,
        has baffled
        > residents for months. A low pitched vibration known simply as the "Bay
        Ridge Hum" heard
        > near the shore next to the Verrazano Bridge has left some locals not
        only scratching their
        > heads in frustration but deprived of sleep, too.
        >
        > While several hypotheses as to the cause - passing trains, treatment
        plants, even UFOs -
        > have been floated, so to speak, one new hunch is that fish may cause
        it.

        > "Everyone is just dying to find out what is making that noise," the
        district manager of
        > Brooklyn Community Board No.10, which includes Bay Ridge, Josephine
        Beckmann, said.
        > "We have been getting calls since last spring."
        >
        > (for the rest of the story, follow the URL above.)

      • Rossen
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 1, 2006
          If this fish produces the hum near New York and I can hear it in
          Sofia (arround 7000 kilometers distance), then obviously this is
          really loud-mouthed fish!

          Rossen
          Sofia, Bulgaria

          wrote:

          > Something May Be Fishy About Hum Keeping Bay Ridge Residents Awake
          >
          > BY MATTHEW LYSIAK - Special to the Sun
          > June 1, 2006
          >
          > HMMMM. This mysterious sound in the waters off Bay Ridge, Brooklyn,
          has baffled
          > residents for months. A low pitched vibration known simply as
          the "Bay Ridge Hum" heard
          > near the shore next to the Verrazano Bridge has left some locals
          not only scratching their
          > heads in frustration but deprived of sleep, too.
          >
          > While several hypotheses as to the cause - passing trains,
          treatment plants, even UFOs -
          > have been floated, so to speak, one new hunch is that fish may
          cause it.

          > "Everyone is just dying to find out what is making that noise," the
          district manager of
          > Brooklyn Community Board No.10, which includes Bay Ridge, Josephine
          Beckmann, said.
          > "We have been getting calls since last spring."
          >
          > (for the rest of the story, follow the URL above.)

        • Dave at Yaahoo
          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 1, 2006
            --- Rossen <brumnauka@...> wrote:

            > If this fish produces the hum near New York and I can hear it in
            > Sofia (arround 7000 kilometers distance), then obviously this is
            > really loud-mouthed fish!

            Perhaps a really big honkin' LARGE MOUTH BASS? ;-D

            -dave
          • Mike B
            Message 5 of 5 , Jun 2, 2006
              cant remember the town name, but a couple years ago there was a small
              town on a lake that had a problem with that kind of hum/buzzing
              noise......it was only during one season of every year...they finally
              ended up blaming it on a fish species...All these fish at the same
              time would all be sending out this low mating call....