"Humming" Stones

  • xfool92
    Message 1 of 2 , May 6 1:14 PM
      My sister told me she saw something in a store the other day
      called "Humming" Stones. Apparently you throw them in the air and when
      they collide, a humming noise sounds.

      The package says the stones are made of polished hematite - which is
      essentially just good old iron.

      It got me wondering - how much of our hum can be attributed to the
      deposits of iron in our own areas - and possibly the interaction with
      those deposits and things like solar/magentic storms? It also got me
      wondering - how many of us eat iron fortified cereals or other foods
      high in iron that could also cause us to be better "receivers"?

      By the way, the humming stones go under many names, like "Buzz
      Magnets", "Rattlesnake Eggs", etc. Here's a link to the buzz magnets
      in case you were curious. If you click on the green button on this
      page, it will play the sound of the stones for you. A humming noise
      as a toy is not for me, thanks you!

      http://www.stevespanglerscience.com/product/1598pf
    • A &J M
      Message 2 of 2 , May 6 2:14 PM
        Actually, hematite is an iron ore, and comes in several forms
        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hematite.

        Sounds interesting. I do take iron supplements, and have for at least 5
        years. I did not hear (or at least notice) the hum until late 2004.

        There are copious deposits of iron ore in Minnesota - mostly in the north.

        Arne
        Central Minnesota