Hum in Halton Hills

  • hortonhearsahum
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 24, 2004
      Hi,

      First of all, thank you Jerry (David?) very much for maintaining this
      group and also for the very extensive bibliography.

      Like everyone else, I have various ideas as to what the source(s) of
      the hum could be and how we might go about figuring it out but I'll
      save those for another post and keep this one to describing my
      experience of the hum and any other factors that may be relevant.

      I have been hearing a hum for about two years now and have more or
      less gone through the exact same experience as everyone else seems to
      have in trying to locate it's source, worrying that I am losing my
      mind when others do not hear it, etc. I had previously done internet
      searches without much success but a renewed effort using the
      keyword "hum" has resulted in such a plethora of similar sufferer's,
      including those on this forum, that I am feeling incredibly relieved
      to know that I'm not alone.

      I live both in a detached two story house in Halton Hills, Ontario,
      Canada, and a condominium in Toronto. I hear the hum very
      consistently in the house but never in the condo. It is "loudest"
      between midnight and 6 am but there are times when I hear it
      throughout the day. I use quotation marks around "loudest" because I
      do feel that this is at least partly subjective due to i) there being
      less ambient noise at that time and ii) I tend to direct my attention
      towards it more at that time.

      I also have heard it start (although I am never quite sure if this is
      just the attention-directing phenomenon) and stop, which I am much
      more confident of being an external event. In particular, I listened
      to it stop this morning, between 8:50 and 9:05 am. What was most
      interesting about this is that as it stopped, it gradually went from
      it's usual constant, irregularly broken hum, to more widely spaced
      hums, to occasional hums (all a few seconds in duration), to nothing.
      It sounded as if the "hum" was actually composed of many individual
      pulses that, as they became less in number, could be heard
      individually.

      I have never heard it outside but have heard it in other locations,
      all single family dwellings as far as I can recall. The two places
      that I distinctly recall hearing it were both in second floor
      bedrooms of B&B's.

      Other possibly relevant information:

      The hum seems worst in the upstairs bedroom.

      It will persist for several days and then occasionally be absent for
      one to three days.

      No one else seems to hear it and I have not been able to record it
      using sound equipment.

      As someone else noted, either on this forum or on one of the surveys,
      I hear the hum much clearer with my good ear to a pillow.

      I have occasionally thought I was feeling the hum in my thorax when
      it has been at it's most intense.

      I am an amateur musician.

      I lost most of the hearing in one ear 10.5 years ago shortly after
      moving into this house through sensorineural hearing loss of unkown
      cause.

      The hearing loss left me with constant random noise in my bad ear but
      I don't think it is technically defined as tinnitus which, talking to
      people who have been diagnosed with tinnitus, is experienced more as
      a "ringing" or "whining" sound. In any event, the hum is very
      different than this noise and comes and goes while the noise is
      constant.

      If I try hard, I can very faintly hear the hum with my bad ear but it
      is muffled in much the same way as anything else in that ear. Under
      normal circumstances I do not hear the hum in the bad ear.

      Two cell towers were erected nearby about a year before I started
      hearing the hum, one to the north and one to the east of the house.

      The electrical service in the house is 60 amp.

      In one of the B&B's where I heard it, the owner had many health
      problems and had been diagnosed with Fibromyalgia. This B&B was about
      half an hour north of Wiarton, on the Bruce Peninsula. Of possible
      interest is that the B&B, my house, and probably Charlotte in
      Caledon, are all on the Niagara escarpment.

      That's about everything I can think of. Again, thank you to everyone
      who has posted on this and other forums for sharing your experiences.

      Horton
    • hortonhearsahum
      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 26, 2004
        Hi Charlotte,

        Well, there goes my escarpment theory. :-) BTW, I live in Rockwood.

        You are actually kind of lucky if you don't hear it when you're
        awake - I hear it some times but not others. Often it is there but
        the various noises of the refrigerator, furnace, wind, vehicles
        outside, etc, cover it up. I feel for folks like Rich who hear it
        *all* the time (18 years straight for Rich) - that would be difficult
        to deal with.

        One thing I am curious about is that you feel the bed shake but once
        you wake up the noise is gone - does the bed keep shaking? In my own
        experience, I've had the sensation that the bed is transmitting the
        hum but it isn't actually moving - in fact, I'm pretty sure that the
        sound I'm hearing isn't a soundwave being transmitted in air or
        through the ground but is being generated in my ear/nervous system
        somehow - either along the lines of the Frey phenomenon or due to
        some other unkown cause. The reason I don't think it's transmitted as
        sound waves is that at times when it is quite loud, someone standing
        beside me cannot hear it. On the other hand, I do think that it is
        induced by some external factor because I consistently hear it in
        certain places and consistently don't hear it in other places. Has
        anyone with you heard it when you do?

        Are the health issues similar to fibromyalgia symptoms? I've heard
        that mentioned in other places. I have various health issues but I
        wouldn't say that they are due to the hum. I've got too many other
        bad habits to blame them on. :-)

        One thought that I've had after reading all the accounts of various
        people experiencing the hum is that there may be multiple causes or
        at least multiple variations of the same phenomenon. It could, for
        example, be a version of the Frey phenomenon where electrical
        activity is somehow induced in the auditory nerves by certain
        frequencies of electromagnetic radiation - cell phone, Loran, FM, AM,
        who knows - our world is literally crammed with different signals
        being constantly bounced around these days. And maybe different
        people are more sensitive to certain frequencies than others. And
        possibly certain locations are worse than others due to resonances or
        interactions between different sources. People that hear it all the
        time may be sensitive to many different frequency ranges or perhaps a
        very pervasive one such as Loran or AM radio.

        Well, enough speculation. I'm in a pretty good mood because I didn't
        hear it last night and I don't hear it now, five minutes past
        midnight!

        So goodnight and sweet dreams,

        Horton

        --- In humforum@yahoogroups.com, charlotte mitchell <charl5150@y...>