RE: HUM_FORUM: Fans

  • A &J M
    Message 1 of 11 , Apr 5, 2006
      It's made by Windmere (small, clamp-mounted fan). I also have a
      WeatherWorks that just sits on a dresser. They are both 6" fans, probably
      bought at Wal-Mart, Target, K-Mart, etc. I'd try one in the store first.

      Arne
      Central Minnesota

      Message 2 of 11 , Apr 6, 2006
        Thank you! I did a little more investigating online, and found (of all
        things) the perfect solution -for me, that is -a Honeywell air
        purifier. It has just enough "white noise" to block out the Hum, but
        is quiet enough at night so I can sleep. Perfect. Under $40. Whew! I
        was advised not to get the negative ion brands, which are polular, but
        not so healthy. This one is a HEPA - (high-efficiency particulate air)
        Don't ask me to explain the difference please -I'm no scientist,
        just someone looking for relief.

        DeeDee

        --- In humforum@yahoogroups.com, "A &J M" <stonehollow@...> wrote:

        > It's made by Windmere (small, clamp-mounted fan). I also have a
        > WeatherWorks that just sits on a dresser. They are both 6" fans,
        probably
        > bought at Wal-Mart, Target, K-Mart, etc. I'd try one in the store
        first.

        > Arne
        > Central Minnesota

        Behalf
        > Of ddcn2001
        >
        > Thank you Arne! Would you please tell me what brand of fan you have
        that is
        > "whisper-quiet". I was looking at more fans today, but I don't want
        to buy
        > another one until I'm sure it will be sufficiently quiet.
        > I also remember seeing ads for a gadget that produces various "white
        noise"
        > sounds, like waves, or raindrops, etc. But I haven't seen the ads
        lately.
        > Anyone know the name of these things?
        >
        > DeeDee

      • Bill Berndt
        Message 3 of 11 , Apr 7, 2006
          TIMEX makes a clock radio that has nature sounds.  I've seen it at Bed-Bath-and-Beyond and Radio Shack.

          On 4/6/06, ddcn2001 < ddcn2001@...> wrote:
          Thank you! I did a little more investigating online, and found (of all
          things) the perfect solution -for me, that is  -a Honeywell air
          purifier. It has just enough "white noise" to block out the Hum, but
          is quiet enough at night so I can sleep. Perfect. Under $40. Whew! I
          was advised not to get the negative ion brands, which are polular, but
          not so healthy. This one is a HEPA -      (high-efficiency particulate air)
          Don't ask me to explain the difference please  -I'm no scientist,
          just someone looking for relief.

          DeeDee

          --- In humforum@yahoogroups.com, "A &J M" <stonehollow@...> wrote:

          > It's made by Windmere (small, clamp-mounted fan).  I also have a
          > WeatherWorks that just sits on a dresser.  They are both 6" fans,
          probably
          > bought at Wal-Mart, Target, K-Mart, etc.  I'd try one in the store
          first.

          > Arne
          > Central Minnesota

          Posting Guidelines:

          1.  The orientation of this forum is scientific, with everything that implies.  Reasoned and articulate criticism of ideas and theories is welcome.
          2.  The following are not allowed:  personal attacks, gratuitous profanity, "kook" posts, and supernatural explanations.
          3.  Limit posts to those that are necessary and have substantive content.  In general, no more than three per person per day.
          4.  If you hear the Hum, please post your location at:   www.frappr.com/humhearers

          Hum North america United kingdom
          Kokomo indiana Computer science Science education

          YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

          --
          Bill Berndt
          Layton, UT
          Message 4 of 11 , Apr 8, 2006
            I use the Ionic Breeze air purifiers in my home.  They do pull a lot of dust out of the air, as evidenced by the black yuck on the rag when I clean them.  They do not have any fans in them, but put out a fresh, clean-smelling, cool breeze.  They don't bother me at all, but I understand that they do create a large electrical field, and some people who are electro-sensitive may be adversely affected by them.

            ~ Carole

            Wolfie! <aroo@...> wrote:
            ddcn2001 wrote:
            > Thank you! I did a little more investigating online, and found (of all
            > things) the perfect solution -for me, that is  -a Honeywell air
            > purifier. It has just enough "white noise" to block out the Hum, but
            > is quiet enough at night so I can sleep. Perfect. Under $40. Whew! I
            > was advised not to get the negative ion brands, which are polular, but
            > not so healthy. This one is a HEPA -      (high-efficiency particulate air)
            >  Don't ask me to explain the difference please  -I'm no scientist,
            > just someone looking for relief.

            Negative ion is to do with electricity, the aim is to put a negative
            charge into the air...
            natural places with negative ions include forests and sea side
            locations, which is why
            you're supposed to feel better in those places... that and you're
            probably having a
            nice holiday.

            But it's always been debatable whether these things work or not.

            HEPA is simply a type of very fine air filter, which can capture tiny
            particles.
            often seen in vacuum cleaners where the air is pumped back into the room.
            these are quite good, particularly those with asthma or allergies.

            Wolfie!

            Posting Guidelines:

            1.  The orientation of this forum is scientific, with everything that implies.  Reasoned and articulate criticism of ideas and theories is welcome.
            2.  The following are not allowed:  personal attacks, gratuitous profanity, "kook" posts, and supernatural explanations.
            3.  Limit posts to those that are necessary and have substantive content.  In general, no more than three per person per day.
            4.  If you hear the Hum, please post your location at:   www.frappr.com/humhearers

             Carole
            Central California

          • Steve Nazigian
            Message 5 of 11 , Apr 8, 2006
              I happen to already have the Timex clock radio with nature sounds, and
              though I personally don't use them, you can sample the exact sounds at
              www.mysteryhum.com. Look near the bottom of the page in the right
              column and set your media player to "repeat" if you want to loop the
              sound. Each of the 4 files is about 1 MB and you can choose among
              Ocean, Brook, Forest, and Wind.

              --- In humforum@yahoogroups.com, "Bill Berndt" <wberndt@...> wrote:

              > TIMEX makes a clock radio that has nature sounds. I've seen it at
              > Bed-Bath-and-Beyond and Radio Shack.

            • Wolfie!
              Message 6 of 11 , Apr 9, 2006