The hum and snow

  • xfool92
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 7, 2006
      I used to think that when it snowed, the hum always got a little
      quieter, but I was never sure if that opinion was based on my real
      experiences or my bad memory! Well, I've made a point to pay
      attention to the hum whenever we've had a snow event this season to
      see if the snow makes any difference.

      We've had a warm January here in Northeast Ohio, and no real snow
      since before Christmas. The hum had also been relatively quiet for a
      while. But, over the weekend, we had a huge snow with blizzard-like
      conditions. We only got about 6 inches of snow in my city (a foot
      just a few miles east) but the drifts were in a several foot range.
      Anyway, whenever it has snowed in the past, the snow reflects any
      light coming from the outside and magnifies it. So, when I turn off
      all the lights, it still looks almost bright enough in my house to
      read by, even though we've had almost complete cloud cover and no
      outside lighting withing hundreds of feet of my house.

      What I've also noticed is that while the light seems to be amplified
      by the snow, so does the hum. It has been so loud since this last
      snowstorm that it is annoying my husband, and he does not hear the
      hum as often as I do. And, I am also hearing it very loudly during
      the day, which is very unusual for me. So it seems to me that not
      only does the sparkling snow reflect and magnify the light, it also
      seems to be doing the same with the sound.

      Has anyone else noticed this, or is it just a coincidence that it's
      louder with the snow?
    • Selene
      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 7, 2006
        Could it be that the hum seems louder because of the light?  Try covering your eyes, see if it makes any difference.  When I do that, the hum gets a little softer, but it's not really noticeable until I take my hands away and the hum comes booming back.
        ~ Carole

        xfool92 <xfool92@...> wrote:
[...]

         Carole
        Central California

      • karen &James Butler

          Message 4 of 8 , Feb 8, 2006
            Karen, sorry to hear the hum is loud there.

            We are starting out with a very clear day here today.  We had one yesterday that was beautiful.  I have seen more clear skies here this last week than I have seen in a some time.  The contrailing has let up some for now it seems.

            Anne

            Message 5 of 8 , Feb 8, 2006

              xfool92 <xfool92@...> wrote:

[...]

              Yahoo! Mail <http://us.rd.yahoo.com/mail_us/taglines/virusmail/*http://mail.yahoo.com>  - Helps protect you from nasty viruses.

              Posting Guidelines:

              1.  No personal attacks.  But reasoned criticism of
              ideas and theories is welcome.
              2.  No gratuitous profanity.
              3.  No "kook" posts.
              4.  Limit posts to those that are necessary and have substantive content.  In general, no more than three per person per day.
              5.  Please sign all posts with your location (city, state, country).

                     Hum <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Hum&w1=Hum&w2=North+america&w3=United+kingdom&w4=Kokomo+indiana&w5=United+states&w6=Taos+new+mexico&c=6&s=108&.sig=0OxvRH15-mKAeOgbs_YcAg> North america <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=North+america&w1=Hum&w2=North+america&w3=United+kingdom&w4=Kokomo+indiana&w5=United+states&w6=Taos+new+mexico&c=6&s=108&.sig=KNF03YMAAZcpMpQ8sqdmJg> United kingdom <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=United+kingdom&w1=Hum&w2=North+america&w3=United+kingdom&w4=Kokomo+indiana&w5=United+states&w6=Taos+new+mexico&c=6&s=108&.sig=apq5ocm_4QaMqJUnSqa52g> Kokomo indiana <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Kokomo+indiana&w1=Hum&w2=North+america&w3=United+kingdom&w4=Kokomo+indiana&w5=United+states&w6=Taos+new+mexico&c=6&s=108&.sig=_SBu_r7OMIUcoWKcXdPiWQ> United states <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=United+states&w1=Hum&w2=North+america&w3=United+kingdom&w4=Kokomo+indiana&w5=United+states&w6=Taos+new+mexico&c=6&s=108&.sig=_jqLhnonqsO9kp03v14rSA> Taos new mexico <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Taos+new+mexico&w1=Hum&w2=North+america&w3=United+kingdom&w4=Kokomo+indiana&w5=United+states&w6=Taos+new+mexico&c=6&s=108&.sig=OSiJKNKM5mn5dEV2Or8wng>

              YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

              Carole,

                 A thick coating of snow increases the reflectivity of the ground at both visual and RF frequencies.  This means that the incident radiation at a particular location is enhanced by calculable amounts.  While, on the average, the resulting fudge factors to put into the equations for the radiation density vary from 2.56 to 4.0, some situations result in a resonance that locally greatly enhances the effective strength of electromagnetic waves.  These resonances occur when certain combinations of wavelength, height of the antenna above the ground, height of the observer above ground, and length of emitting elements are found.  For insight on this, see the book on Antenna Theory by C.A. Balanis, also an old classic on antennas by Kraus has for many years been a standard textbook in this realm.

              Regards, Bill
              |Bill P. Curry, PhD         EMSciTek Consulting Co.|
              |(630 858-9377              Fax (630) 858-9159     |
              |               Physics is fun!                    | |__________________________________________________|
            • Bill Curry
              Message 6 of 8 , Feb 8, 2006

                xfool92 <xfool92@...> wrote:

[...]

                Karen,

                   It it important to know how yours and James perceptions of the Hum differ.  For example, do you both hear the classic rumbling, low frequency, sound that is like a Diesel truck or locomotive or does he hear a different pitch.  In Kokomo, some of the people who suffered from the Hum described it as the classic form that many people have written about, but others described it as a high pitch whine, rather like the whine (not the roar) from a jet engine.  In at least one case, a person who heard the high pitch whine had previously experienced hearing damage from being near artillery bursts in military service.  By this way, this man was probably in his seventies.

                Message 7 of 8 , Feb 8, 2006
                  Hey Bill, I'm glad you responded to our questions and discussions here. My husband actually did perceive this noise as a high pitch noise. He described the pulsing part though so I assume he is hearing the same thing but in a different frequency. What I found interesting was the way that it just suddenly shut on for him like it does for a lot of us. Today the hum is very loud and very low and pulsing here but he says he cannot be sure he hears it. He does say that he doesn't hear the high pitch pulsing noise he heard the other day. But that was a day that i didn't notice it as much. So it seems that the thing is probably pretty much constantly going on but the hearers perception could be a lot different. James also told me he's heard this kind of noise before but he didn't associate it with my hum since i described the noise I hear as the low idling of a diesel engine.

                  I'd also like to note here that there is a spot in the back of the house that I believe has a very strong EMF. I can't prove this without some readings but  can tell you this much. There is no electrical lines near it. Nothing but trees. But its a place that makes me feel uneasy and anxious. In fact I noticed it one night years ago when letting the dog out. I had this creepy feeling. I joked that it must be haunted. Of course we know that strong electromagnectic fields can bring this sensation on in humans. Its also a place the animals here avoid. The plants are stunty and the trees grow in a leaning manner. Now I don't think dogs are cats are looking for spooks there but I think it's be interesting to check this area out. I've also had bad dizzy spells in this area. I don't think this explains the true source of the hum but if there is a strong EMF there it could act as some sort of booster for the hum. I say this as this seems to be the direction the hum is loudest. At this point I'm trying to investigate everything I can to learn a bit more about this thing. ~Karen~

                  http://mail.yahoo.com

                  Message 8 of 8 , Feb 11, 2006
                    In a message dated 07/02/2006 21:23:40 GMT Standard Time, xfool92@... writes:
[...]

                    I would expect snow to absorb sounds.....
                    The light would be amplified by snow, just as a dark surface absorbs light...
                    It could be coincidence that it was louder just then, when the snow was there, or it might be that if the snow was absorbing many other local noises, or if folks weren't going out so much because of the snow, then it might have been generally a bit quieter, thus making your brain decide to 'turn up the volume' a bit, thus making the Hum sound louder.
                    Or the Hum might have actually been louder that day.....
                    This is a very complicated problem, dealing as it does with the very complex world of sound.
                    R.M.    England.