Re: HUM_FORUM: Hum more subdued since Thursday Mar 31 in my area

  • P. Crawford
    Message 1 of 13 , Apr 5, 2004
      Hi James! I live in the unicorporated area of Grass
      Valley, CA approx. 6 miles north of I80 at Colfax, CA.
      Do we hear the same sound?
      You wrote it's on 24/7 at your location. Same here.
      I've had in since Oct 2001. Last summer it stopped,
      then came back again in October 2004. It is a
      nightmare.
      I have not been to Brownsville, CA (near Marysville
      and Beale AFB) yet to listen to the hum there, but
      Jeanette (of Ed and Jeanette in the forum) and I have
      talked by phone and pretty much confirmed that what we
      hear is the same.
      Also, I have a CD of frequency sounds from RM in
      England that could be useful.
      Could you and I talk on the phone?
      Patty, CA

      --- James Dame <50088@...> wrote:
      > I, too, live in the PST zone and have noticed the
      > same thing from the time
      > this hum business started for me back in Jan 2004.
      > It is the same as
      > turning up the volume control on a radio receiver.
      > This lends credence to
      > my belief that this is man-made
      > and is part of the HAARP and other related research
      > activities utilizing
      > these pulsed
      > electromagnetic transmissions. These originate from
      > transmitters in
      > various parts of the world, not just in continental
      > USA.
      >
      > James
      > Buellton, Calif.
      >
      > humshaker2003 wrote:
      >
      > > I noticed this a month ago as well starting on a
      > Thursday in my
      > > timezone PST and continuing through the weekend.
      > It's as if someone was
      > > twidling a dial that adjusts the intensity. A
      > potentiometer of pain if
      > > you will.
      > >

      > > Yahoo! Groups Links

    • humshaker2003
      Message 2 of 13 , Apr 5, 2004
        Last night at 3am Monday morning the hum with the annoying bass resonance has
        been cranked back up to it's usual skull shaking level. I'm convinced the hum is man
        made.
        The frequency I hear modulates around 55 Hz starting out a bit lower than that at
        Ab1 then rising to A1 then sometimes crescendoing at Bb1 before going back down.
        Being that most of our electrical equipment and fridge motors etc hum at 60 Hz this
        makes an extremely annoying minor 2nd dissonance. Psychological warfare?

        --- In humforum@yahoogroups.com, James Dame <50088@u...> wrote:
        > I, too, live in the PST zone and have noticed the same thing from the time
        > this hum business started for me back in Jan 2004. It is the same as
        > turning up the volume control on a radio receiver. This lends credence to
        > my belief that this is man-made
        > and is part of the HAARP and other related research activities utilizing
        > these pulsed
        > electromagnetic transmissions. These originate from transmitters in
        > various parts of the world, not just in continental USA.
        >
        > James
        > Buellton, Calif.
        >
        > humshaker2003 wrote:
        >
        > > I noticed this a month ago as well starting on a Thursday in my
        > > timezone PST and continuing through the weekend. It's as if someone was
        > > twidling a dial that adjusts the intensity. A potentiometer of pain if
        > > you will.
        > >

        > > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Bill Curry
        Message 3 of 13 , Apr 5, 2004
          James,
          The most recent issue of Bioelectromagnetics has several articles that
          deal with electromagentic field fluctuations at ELF frequencies. This
          mechanism is associated with several biological effects similar to those
          described by Hum sufferers. I gave a URL to reach these articles in a
          http://www3.interscience.wiley.com/cgi-bin/jhome/34135.
          I don't know whether you will have to register to get on the site, but it's
          free, in case you do. See whether any of these abstracts of interest to
          you.
          A mechanism like this is the only way I can begin to understand how ELF
          electromagnetic waves (from ionospheric disturbances caused by HAARP or
          something similar) could possibly cause the symptoms suffered by people who
          hear and feel the Hum.

          |Bill P. Curry, Ph.D. Physics is fun|
          |(630) 858-9377 Fax (630) 858-9159|
          | EMSciTek Consulting Company |

          Message 4 of 13 , Apr 5, 2004
            In a message dated 05/04/2004 23:21:20 GMT Daylight Time, humlobotomist@... writes:

            I have noticed the same here in Europe, by the 31st of March the
            intesity of the HUM, that have been there for months now, incrceased
            in intensity, in such matter that the waves now can be felt in the
            body, and I also believe, even feel, that it with this intensity may
            have cardiac influence by these low frequent waves.

            Honestly I thought that we might have some peace in big parts of
            March, because EISCAT is scheduled with very little activity. But
            there I was wrong. So HAARP maybe running heating experiments at full
            power, or that also EISCAT keep testing off schedule of the
            official "open" program, and therefore we now feel this intensity.
            Just a thought!

            --- In humforum@yahoogroups.com, James Dame <50088@u...> wrote:
            >I, too, live in the PST zone and have noticed the same thing from
            the time
            >this hum business started for me back in Jan 2004.  It is the same
            as
            >turning up the volume control on a radio receiver.  This lends
            credence to
            >my belief that this is man-made
            >and is part of the HAARP and other related research activities
            utilizing
            >these pulsed
            >electromagnetic transmissions.  These originate from transmitters in
            >various parts of the world, not just in continental USA.
            >
            >James
            >Buellton, Calif.

            Hi.
            Please don't think I'm trying to be provocative, but if it's HAARP etc., why did I suffer SO much from 1987 to 1994/5, yet now I'm o.k. Surely if it were the culprit I'd still be getting 'hell' only a few miles away from my previous home? Nowhere would be free f it, surely?
            R.M. England.
            Message 5 of 13 , Apr 5, 2004
              In a message dated 05/04/2004 23:23:06 GMT Daylight Time, bpcurry@... writes:

              A mechanism like this is the only way I can begin to understand how ELF
              electromagnetic waves (from ionospheric disturbances caused by HAARP or
              something similar) could possibly cause the symptoms suffered by people who
              hear and feel the Hum.

              |Bill P. Curry, Ph.D.       Physics is fun|
              |(630) 858-9377     Fax (630) 858-9159|

              Dear Bill, Are you able to tell us please, what could one use to make a shield from ELF waves from the ionosphere? Are these waves like the magnetic field of the earth? If so, how much weaker are they? Or are they stronger? Or should I shut up and not ask stupid questions?! I'm just keen to learn and get an understanding of the strengths of these effects....
              R.M.  England.
              Message 6 of 13 , Apr 5, 2004
                In a message dated 06/04/2004 02:53:16 GMT Daylight Time, e-ken@... writes:

                Last night at 3am Monday morning the hum with the annoying bass resonance has
                been cranked back up to it's usual skull shaking level. I'm convinced the hum is man
                made.
                The frequency I hear modulates around 55 Hz starting out a bit lower than that at
                Ab1 then rising to A1 then sometimes crescendoing at Bb1 before going back down.
                Being that most of our electrical equipment and fridge motors etc hum at 60 Hz this
                makes an extremely annoying minor 2nd dissonance. Psychological warfare?

                That sounds really horrible to live with.
                Sorry to go on about this, but is there any chance you could try the Sennheiser Active Noise-Control Headset? I have just bought one and it reduces hums quite a bit. If it could reduce yours, then that would surely give a clue about what sort of hum it is...yes?
                R.M.  England.
              • humshaker2003
                Message 7 of 13 , Apr 6, 2004
                  > Please don't think I'm trying to be provocative, but if it's HAARP etc., why
                  > did I suffer SO much from 1987 to 1994/5, yet now I'm o.k. Surely if it were
                  > the culprit I'd still be getting 'hell' only a few miles away from my previous
                  > home? Nowhere would be free f it, surely?

                  How can you be sure that your 1987 hum is the same one many of us are hearing
                  today? This is why is is important to quantify what we are hearing. To that end I will
                  synthesize what I perceive and post the result. Also a lot of factors could influence
                  the electromagnetic fields and nodes making the hum louder in one area over
                  another. Also people's physiology changes over time perhaps making some more
                  sensitive but others less sensitive to the effects of this radiation.
                • Bill Curry
                  Message 8 of 13 , Apr 6, 2004
                    R.M.,
                        I know almost nothing  about the propagation modes of ELF waves.  My knowledge of propagation of long wavelength waves does not extend to lower frequencies than about 150 kHz.  Remember, though, that the skin depth of any conducting substance is inversely proportional to the square root of the frequency, also the conductivity depends on frequency.  Your shield thickness would have to be several skin depths, so I think having a conductive shield is not the way to go.
                        This is pure speculation, but it might be possible to damp the waves by using a long antenna connected to an inductance, but I have no idea how large the inductance would have  to be or how you could use this mechanism to form a shield.
                        Concerning the magnetic field of the earth:  remember that it is relatively constant in time - i.e., its variations with respect to time are very slow.  Though it varies with the latitude of your position, an approximate value in the North temperate zone is 0.5 Gauss.
                        Magnetic field fluctuations at power line frequency and lower cause reproducible biological effects at field strengths above about 2 mG (0.002 G).  At one residence in Kokomo, I found steady sinusoidal magnetic fields at 60 hz frequency of about 3-4 mG in the front yard, but they increased as one approached several railroad tracks south of the house with a powerline adjacent.  Holding the meter above my head as far as I could hold it, pointing toward the power line, I measured 20 mG, and the field was 10 mG close to the rails.  Trains were inactive in this region, but were active about a mile westward down the tracks from this house.  It struck me unusal that this neighborhood had so high a magnetic field as it did, however, I have not had many occsions to measure magnetic fields outside residences, so I don't know whether this situation is abnormal or not.  What is significant is that this was a steady sinusoidal field, not one with large changes of amplitude.
                        Within the time response of my meter, I did not see ELF fluctuations of the magnetic field amplitude.  I have previously seen observable fluctuations in power frequency magnetic field amplitude near a blower motor on a HEPA filter in a residence in another state.  In this case, it was caused by bad motor brushes (I think).  The Kokomo magnetic field measurements did not show any such fluctuations, so I don't think the unusual magnetic fields in this region of Kokomo were to blame for the Hum sensations experienced by the residents of that house where I made the measurements.
                        Inside the residence, we found some RF contamination of the power line, using a meter developed by a retired University of California EECS Dept. professor for that purpose.   This meter tells one (in millivolts) the RF component of the current on the power line.  If there are RF currents on the power line, there will be RF radiation near the power line, but we checked for this only inside the house.
                        Outside the house we found low radiation density RF radiation with the pulsing time dependence that I associated with cell towers in the vicinity.  This meter would not have detected the 1350 kHz radiation.  Further, an RF spectrum measurement made inside the house peaked at 858.495 MHz, and had a peak width of 25 kHz.  This is the hallmark of radiation from a Nextel cell tower, and we found spectral peaks in this region of the spectrum at all four locations where we made measurements; whereas, the power line RF contamination appeared to be from the ubiquitous commercial AM radio signal at 1350 kHz, and we could hear its signal, when we turned on the internal speaker in our RF meter and placed the meter near the telephone jack and also near the a power outlet.
                        To summarize:  I have seen large scale slow fluctuations of magnetic fields only around motors with bad brushes.  I have seen RF contamination of 60 Hz power lines, with resultant RF radiation at the frequency of the contaminating.  I have seen pulsed RF radiation, whose carrier frequency identified the source of the radiation as a specific cellular service provider whose signal was common to all the locations where we made measurements and whose waveform includes ELF pulsing frequencies.  I don't know how to detect ELF electromagnetic waves, but obviously submarine receivers do so.  There is impetus to try to understand these waves, because new experiments associate both ELF waves and ELF modulated RF waves with biological harm.

                    Message 9 of 13 , Apr 6, 2004
                      At 03:31 PM 4/6/2004 -0500, Bill Curry wrote:
                       I don't know how to detect ELF electromagnetic waves, but obviously submarine receivers do so.  There is impetus to try to understand these waves, because new experiments associate both ELF waves and ELF modulated RF waves with biological harm.

                               Many years ago, when developing a metal detector, I wound coils of wire to transmit and pick up elf waves of about 1 kiloherz frequency. The air coil was a few dozen turns on a one foot diameter form. I later "miniaturized" it by assembling a bundle of ferrite rods, maybe 10" long and 1/2" in diameter with a few dozen turns of wire about it. I have no idea whether it was optimum, but a transmitter receiver pair, set about 6 feet apart worked OK to detect metal objects. Anyway, The point is, I was of the belief at the time that this coil winding style was reasonable, One attaches the ends of the coil winding to the input of an audio amplifier, and to an oscilloscope to see the waves, if they exist, estimate their frequency, and measure their ac voltage value.

                               The coil is rotated and orientated to obtain the maximum voltage level. That occurs where the plane of the coil turns includes the source of radiation. This system detects the magnetic field part of that EM wave.

                                        Angelo Campanella
                      Message 10 of 13 , Apr 7, 2004
                        In a message dated 06/04/2004 23:40:07 GMT Daylight Time, e-ken@... writes:

                        >Please don't think I'm trying to be provocative, but if it's HAARP etc., why
                        >did I suffer SO much from 1987 to 1994/5, yet now I'm o.k. Surely if it were
                        >the culprit I'd still be getting 'hell' only a few miles away from my previous
                        >home? Nowhere would be free f it, surely?

                        How can you be sure that your 1987 hum is the same one many of us are hearing
                        today? This is why is is important to quantify what we are hearing. To that end I will
                        synthesize what I perceive and post the result. Also a lot of factors could influence
                        the electromagnetic fields and nodes making the hum louder in one area over
                        another. Also people's physiology changes over time perhaps making some more
                        sensitive but others less sensitive to the effects of this radiation.

                        Complicated, isn't it!
                        What still puzzles me is that I suffered very greatly at my previous home, and all the time as I was moving our posessions out, over to this home, a few miles away, I was able to compare the two locations. Here, it was almost always quiet, yet when I got back to the other house, there was the Hum again, as usual.  I take the point about physiology possibly changing over time, naturally, but this does not explain why one place was quiet, and the other : noisy. I am extremely sorry if my experiences and the relating of them confuses things in any way, now, but honestly, what I was experiencing was exactly the same as many others described at the time. The way they describe it hasn't changed, over the years, so I am assuming that the noise is still going on.  The process/ mechanism of the theory needs to be described/explained before it becomes credible, surely?  Then, it needs to be tested against nature, to see if it holds up....
                        I would be most interested to receive a synthesized version of what you hear, and many thanks for taking the time to do this. Perhaps I can return the compliment and make a C.D. of the D.A.T. recordings I made, and see what you think of them. All good stuff! Keep writing!
                        Best Wishes,
                        R.M.  England.

                        Message 11 of 13 , Apr 7, 2004
                          In a message dated 06/04/2004 23:44:37 GMT Daylight Time, bpcurry@... writes:

                          To summarize:  I have seen large scale slow fluctuations of magnetic fields only around motors with bad brushes.  I have seen RF contamination of 60 Hz power lines, with resultant RF radiation at the frequency of the contaminating.  I have seen pulsed RF radiation, whose carrier frequency identified the source of the radiation as a specific cellular service provider whose signal was common to all the locations where we made measurements and whose waveform includes ELF pulsing frequencies.  I don't know how to detect ELF electromagnetic waves, but obviously submarine receivers do so.  There is impetus to try to understand these waves, because new experiments associate both ELF waves and ELF modulated RF waves with biological harm.

                          |Bill P. Curry, Ph.D.            Physics is fun|

                          Many thanks, Bill, for your detailed response. I can't claim to understand it, but will try !
                          What is 'the bottom line'? Have you a theory about what causes the Hum? I had an e-mail from Herr Doktor Franz Frolsh, in Germany, who said that in his view, the Hum is not acoustic, nor is it microwaves. He didnt say how he arrived at this conclusion.
                          I think I have read here (somewhere) on 'humforum', that someone believes that 'ELF' is behind 'The Hum'. That is why I was hoping to find out how to block it. There seem to be so many different ideas going around, that it is difficult to know what to believe. But this 'forum' is better than anything I've encountered thus far, so we must persevere.
                          Best Wishes.
                            R.M.  England.