Re: HUM_FORUM: Re: REPLY new member experiencing the hum

  • kerriemc@big.net.au
    Message 1 of 16 , Dec 6, 2005
      Thanx Carol,

      I am getting so many emails suggesting similar experiences and symptoms.
      many of us seem to have the pressure in the ear and vertigo...keen to hear
      from any others to ascertain continued numbers.

      it is certainly a weird thing. I know it has bothered me now for 5 years, of
      course with intermittent breaks. And I guess at times I have just gone to
      sleep and tried to put it out of my head. I have been lucky I guess as the
      hum has been low in volume most of the time.

      It just frightens me to have this phenomina occuring in so many places
      around the world and not really have a reason as to why.

      Are we a selected few...and if so...why...what makes us different from the
      rest of the people in the world who don't hear it.

      Is it a congenital difference in our ears, or due to some other unexplained
      issue.

      i would be interested to hear from other sufferers in Australia to find out
      how loud their hum and how often they hear the hum. I am a 2 in volume
      sometimes maybe a 3...and it is intermittent...anyone else.

      Thanx again Carol. We certainly seem to have a commonality in symptoms.

      Keri

      > Hi. I'm one of the persons who hears the hum only with my left ear, but
      complicated by the fact that I hear a separate and distinctly different hum
      with my right ear from time to time. But like Maggie, I hear the hum coming
      up through the mattress if I'm lying on my left side, and in the room above
      me if I'm lying on my right side. I also have suffered bouts with vertigo,
      and a feeling of pressure in my left ear (at the moment I'm feeling pressure
      and experiencing a louder than usual hum in my left ear). You might be
      interested in this article:

      > http://oto.wustl.edu/men/mn1.htm
      >
      > ~ Carole
      >
      > coatesmargaret <coatesmargaret@...> wrote:
      >

      > Hello Kerrie,
      >
      > -- In humforum@yahoogroups.com, <kerriemc@b...> wrote:
      > >
      > I think the thing that bothered me was that it
      > > seemed to be actually coming from my mattress as strange as that sounds.
      The
      > > walls made no hum but as soon as I lay my head on the pillow nearer to
      the
      > > bed it would begin.
      >
      > Yes that happens to me too but only in my left ear. When I have my right
      ear to the pillow,
      > it seems to come from the air above. I know at least two other people on
      this forum have
      > said the same thing.
      >
      > > I have also had trouble with vertigo and occasionally a ringing in my
      ears.
      > > Tests have shown no tinneitis with my hearing ability higher than most
      > > people on low frequency sounds. >
      >
      > My low frequency hearing is well above average and I have occasional
      vertigo too just for a
      > few seconds like something switches in my head. Sometimes my right ear
      rings and I
      > thought that was tinnitus.
      >
      > Maggie NSW Aust
      >

      > Posting Guidelines:
      >
      > 1. No personal attacks. But reasoned criticism of
      > ideas and theories is welcome.
      > 2. No gratuitous profanity.
      > 3. No "kook" posts.
      > 4. Limit posts to those that are necessary and have substantive content.
      In general, no more than three per person per day.

      --
    • kerriemc@big.net.au
      Message 2 of 16 , Dec 6, 2005
> [...]

        > few seconds like something switches in my head. Sometimes my right ear
        rings and I
        > thought that was tinnitus.
        >
        > Maggie NSW Aust
        >

        > Posting Guidelines:
        >
        > 1. No personal attacks. But reasoned criticism of
        > ideas and theories is welcome.
        > 2. No gratuitous profanity.
        > 3. No "kook" posts.
        > 4. Limit posts to those that are necessary and have substantive content.
        In general, no more than three per person per day.
        > 5. Please sign all posts with your location (city, state, country).

        > ---------------------------------
        >

        > Carole
        > Central California
        >

        > ---------------------------------
        > Yahoo! Personals
        > Single? There's someone we'd like you to meet.
        > Lots of someones, actually. Try Yahoo! Personals

      • Selene
        Message 3 of 16 , Dec 6, 2005
          "Are we a selected few...and if so...why...what makes us different from the rest of the people in the world who don't hear it."

          Well, one observation I've made is that the people at this forum are more articulate than the average person, and I'd venture a guess that they are of above average intelligence.

          "Is it a congenital difference in our ears, or due to some other unexplained issue."

          There are some conditions that can cause a low-pitched hum in the ears.  You might want to go back and check on some of the experiments that Kurt has done.

          ~ Carole, Central CA

        • mack_colin
          Message 4 of 16 , Dec 6, 2005
            "...But like Maggie, I hear the hum coming up through the mattress
            if I'm lying on my left side, and in the room above me if I'm lying
            on my right side.......a feeling of pressure in my left ear (at the
            moment I'm feeling pressure and experiencing a louder than usual hum
            in my left ear....."

            The hum comming up through the pillow is all part of this phenomena
            and makes it difficult to sleep unless you mask the sound.

            Worst of all is the 'pressure/feel' from the pulse of the hum.
            It can be a bit like a tuning fork where you can hear and feel the
            sound. It seems to be like a resonance effect.

            If the hum was just constant, you could live with it, but the pulse
            effect comming around repeatedly, is a real sickener, and is very
            hard to ignore.

            At the present I am putting my right ear on a large magnet (constant
            field)for one hour between two pillows at night before I sleep, (I
            only have the hum in the right ear).

            I am also taking every second night, a 'Vitimin B complex' tablet
            containing B, B2 and B6.

            So far I find the hum has fairly quietened down, switching on and
            off randomly in a 24 hour period, rather than the usual continious
            hum/pulse, quiet in the day and louder at night.

            Whether this is due to the above countermeasures or it is just the
            effect of the hum itself being on a quiet period, switching on and
            off randomly , I just dont know yet.

            I just hope that whatever circumstance allowed me to hear the hum
            in the first place is now switching on and off, ie, in and out of
            resonance, and hopefully maybe in the future, off for good.

            In the world of electronic engineering it can be difficult to
            maintain a resonance circuit, it can drift away, ie, like a radio
            station it can lose the channel.

            Possibly, being able to hear the hum is similar, a biological
            resonance effect that can be de-tuned by some method or other.

            Just got to keep working at it, this must be solved.
          • coatesmargaret
            Message 5 of 16 , Dec 6, 2005
              Hey Jim,
              It's good to have you have back. I wondered where you'd got to. I was kind of hoping
              you'd stopped writing, because you weren't hearing the hum any more.

              Here, it was strong for much of the July - October period and very strong in the middle of
              November. Since then it has still been present but very quiet at night and in the mornings
              before local industrial noise starts up. Maybe it is a world wide em phenomenon Jim. It
              certainly must look like it from your perspective. Except I wonder how that would fit in
              with the experience of some forum members who have found places where it isn't heard.
              Your comment about selective listening made me laugh - you should be so lucky!
              Maggie NSW Aust

              --- In humforum@yahoogroups.com, "Jim Egger" <aeroqst@m...> wrote:

              > Hello Margaret and everyone,
              >
              > I took a bit of a sabbatical from dealing with the hum as you may have
              > noticed from my lack of input here on this forum.
              >
              > The hum was quite mitigated for me in the July - October time frame but it
              > was still there at times mostly weakly detected by myself for some reason. I
              > was on a hunting trip to Minnesota for 6 weeks where the hum was still
              > omnipresent which is interesting as for the lot of us who have traveled it
              > seemed to go away at least for a while. Now that I am back in Alaska it has
              > been going strongly and steadily since I returned Nov. 10th. I have heard it
              > outside just as well as inside and just a strongly and in both ears. When I
              > was in my hunting stand in Minnesota it was evident as well. It does not
              > matter if it is inside or out for me. As a result of being married and a
              > male, I have of course developed a keen sense of selective hearing and have
              > been able to tune out the hum for the most part and it does not bother me as
              > much as other people.
              >
              > All in all, I still believe the hum to be a world wide phenomenon caused by
              > some type of electromagnetic energy source because of the fact that I hear
              > it the same 3000 miles away as here and out in the wilderness. If it were
              > some acoustic wave it would sound different in different parts of the world
              > and it would be detectable with equipment used for acoustic detection
              > purposes and it just hasn't been detected that way.
              >
              > Sincerely,
              > Jim Egger / Palmer, Alaska

            • Bill Curry
              Message 6 of 16 , Dec 6, 2005
                on 12/6/05 12:48 PM, mack_colin at mack_colin@... wrote:

                > "...But like Maggie, I hear the hum coming up through the mattress
                > if I'm lying on my left side, and in the room above me if I'm lying
                > on my right side.......a feeling of pressure in my left ear (at the
                > moment I'm feeling pressure and experiencing a louder than usual hum
                > in my left ear....."
                >
                > The hum comming up through the pillow is all part of this phenomena
                > and makes it difficult to sleep unless you mask the sound.
                >
                > Worst of all is the 'pressure/feel' from the pulse of the hum.
                > It can be a bit like a tuning fork where you can hear and feel the
                > sound. It seems to be like a resonance effect.
                >
                > If the hum was just constant, you could live with it, but the pulse
                > effect comming around repeatedly, is a real sickener, and is very
                > hard to ignore.
                >
                > At the present I am putting my right ear on a large magnet (constant
                > field)for one hour between two pillows at night before I sleep, (I
                > only have the hum in the right ear).
                >
                > I am also taking every second night, a 'Vitimin B complex' tablet
                > containing B, B2 and B6.
                >
                > So far I find the hum has fairly quietened down, switching on and
                > off randomly in a 24 hour period, rather than the usual continious
                > hum/pulse, quiet in the day and louder at night.
                >
                > Whether this is due to the above countermeasures or it is just the
                > effect of the hum itself being on a quiet period, switching on and
                > off randomly , I just dont know yet.
                >
                > I just hope that whatever circumstance allowed me to hear the hum
                > in the first place is now switching on and off, ie, in and out of
                > resonance, and hopefully maybe in the future, off for good.
                >
                > In the world of electronic engineering it can be difficult to
                > maintain a resonance circuit, it can drift away, ie, like a radio
                > station it can lose the channel.
                >
                > Possibly, being able to hear the hum is similar, a biological
                > resonance effect that can be de-tuned by some method or other.
                >
                > Just got to keep working at it, this must be solved.
                >

                > Posting Guidelines:
                >
                > 1. No personal attacks. But reasoned criticism of
                > ideas and theories is welcome.
                > 2. No gratuitous profanity.
                > 3. No "kook" posts.
                > 4. Limit posts to those that are necessary and have substantive content. In
                > general, no more than three per person per day.
                > 5. Please sign all posts with your location (city, state, country).
                >
                > Yahoo! Groups Links

                Hi folks,
                If the Hum is due to a pulsed source (either electromagnetic or
                acoustic) any pulsing frequencies that fall within human brainwave frequency
                bands can cause the kind of resonances you mention. In the case of pulsed
                electromagnetic radiation from GSM cellular phone systems - which are the
                most commonly used cellular systems in the world - Austrian experiments have
                shown that the brain waves are actually changed during the exposure process.
                When the exp[osure is over, they return to normal (Obeferfeld, et all 2005).
                (I have seen a press release and a graph about this experiment, but I don't
                know whether it has yet been published.) Oberfeld says the change in brain
                wave pattern indicates the individual who is being exposed is under stress.
                Somewhat similar results have been found in animals exposed to high
                amplitude sound for long durations - except the symptoms include thickening
                of heart and circulatory tissues, and the sould pressure levels are far
                above the range of sounds to which people are normally exposed. My
                speculation is that if the sound experiments were carried out with pulses
                occurring at brain wave frequencies, the thresholds for ill effects might be
                far lower than the sound pressure levels associated with the tissue damage I
                mentioned. (Those experiments at high sound pressure level were carried out
                by a group at the University of Portugal and published in the Journal of
                Aviation Medicine, as well as other places.) To my knowlege, no pulsed
                sound experiments have been carried out with pusation frequencies near brain
                wave frequencies, but I suspect that any kind of sensory perturbations that
                have frequencies in brain wave ranges will resonate with natural brain wave
                functions and cause ill effects. I would like to see experiments carried
                out on lab animals to verify this speculation, taking account of the fact
                that the brain wave frequencies will be different in small animals from
                those in humans.

                Regards to all, Bill

                |Bill P. Curry, PhD EMSciTek Consulting Co.|
                |(630 858-9377 Fax (630) 858-9159 |
                | Physics is fun! |