Re: HUM_FORUM: Re:Hum....a possible strategy against it......

    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 3, 2005
      In a message dated 03/10/2005 17:48:25 GMT Daylight Time, coatesmargaret@... writes:
      The hum here has changed noticeably over the last ten days.  It is now of high intensity,
      powerful, very loud and it is so solid, really established, inexorable if that makes sense.
      And yes I am noticing a definite pulse, with intervals of about a second but interspersed
      with a continuous sound.  The pulsing is pretty hard to describe.  At times it's like the
      classic engine idling hum.   This is different too.  It's about 82 Hz.  It's turned off a few
      times at about 5 am, leaving the hum that I began hearing  fifteen months ago .  This new
      development is very worrying.  I am finding it impossible to sleep.
      Maggie
      NE NSW Australia
      ===============================
      Have you tried Active Noise Control Headphones? They aim to reduce low frequency and I have started sending my set round to urgent 'cases' in England.
      One lady in Lodon recently borrowed the set and said it cut out her hum completely, proving that her intrusion was acoustic LFN.
      I realise some of these sets are expensive, but when you are suffering, you can justify capital outlay if there is the chance of improving your acoustic environment.
      I have a Sennheiser set which was around £90, bit I have just seen some very nice-ooking (more elaborate and more comfy-looking than mine) for just under £50 Sterling, TO ORDER FROM A CATALOGUE, WHICH WAS SLIPPED INSIDE THE rADIO tIMES (u.k. T.V AND RADIO WEEKLY).
      (Sorry, I pressed 'Caps' by mistake, I'm not really shouting !)
      The company running the 'slim 'catalogue has a site,
      Link
      :http://houseofbathuk.drct2u.com/searchresults.jsp

      (I just tried to check these links but couldn't get them to open.....you need to go first to the home site, then 'gifts and gadgets, then do a search, type in 'Noise Reducing headphones, and the page should appear.)

      Address, Health & Self, P.O. Box 388, 1 Bartlett St., Bath, BA1 0AR ;
      The catalogue is titled, "Health & Self", and the A.N.C. Headset is on page 21, under the category, "Healthier Hearing".
      Here is a link to the page showing the headphones:
      Item catalogue Number is, "BF868XK. Headphones".
      I think they look good as they have soft cups round the earpieces, which I think might keep out a bit more sound than my Sennheisers' simple earpieces, which do not have these nice , enclosing cups over the ears.
      As with other headsets, you can plug in music, etc., if you wish, as an extra sort of masking sound.
      My set makes a gentle 'hiss' sound which  I think would serve as a sound masker, alongside the actual function of reversing the polarity of incoming LFN. You might not get 100% relief, but even a slight reduction in LFN would be  welcome .

      I know what a dreadful 'curse' relentless LFN can be.

      Hope these links may be of some help....have a look anyway.
      Please note, I have no commercial link to these products.)

      Bose also make these headphones.

      BEST WSHES,
       R.M.         ENGLAND.

    • coatesmargaret
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 4, 2005
        Thanks for suggesting that RM and for all the practical help you give to people on the
        forum. I've been able to mask the hum with music till now but not with this recent
        increase in intensity.

        I've just looked at some websites in Australia for Bose Quiet Comfort 2 Acoustic Noise
        Cancelling and Sennheiser PXC-250. They look a bit difficult to sleep in. Do you sleep
        OK in yours?
        Maggie
        NE NSW Australia

        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 4, 2005
          In a message dated 04/10/2005 14:47:19 GMT Daylight Time, coatesmargaret@... writes:
          I've just looked at some websites in Australia for Bose Quiet Comfort 2 Acoustic Noise
          Cancelling and Sennheiser PXC-250.  They look a bit difficult to sleep in.   Do you sleep
          OK in yours?
          Maggie
          NE NSW Australia
          Hi Maggie,
          Thankfully I don't have The Hum since I moved here ten years ago, that's why I am able to attempt a Helpline.
          Sleeping in headphones would be uncomfortable, if you had to turn on your side.
          To get round this difficulty, all you need is a piece of semi-firm foam,say about the size of a large dinner plate, and about one or two inches thick,  cut a hole in it where you think your ear area would be, and this accommodates the bulk of the headphones earpiece. It is a bit of a palava, but probably worth it if the headphones are able to reduce the noise. You then place the piece of foam on your pillow, and manouvre the headphone earpiece into the hole, so that the foam takes the weight of your head, leaving the headphone earpiece 'suspended'.
          It's a bit like those cushions they use in hospitals, etc., to relieve pressure points on people's behinds when they have been sitting in bed a long time.Same sort of idea....worth a try?You're aiming for a fairly firm 'doughnut' shape.
           Seems to be a fair amount of variation in quality and the amount of noise reduction possible with the various headsets on offer. Probably dependant on price, i.e., generally maybe the more expensive ones will reduce most noise : it may be possible to check how many decibels they claim to be able to reduce....enquiries to the manufacturers, one assumes?
          Let us know how you get on with a headset if you decide to get one.
          Best Wishes, ]
          R.M.     England.