Re: HUM_FORUM: Extremely Low Frequency (ELF) radiation

  • Selene
    Message 1 of 12 , Aug 6, 2005
      I used to think I didn't hear it outside because of the ambient noise.  Then I walked around outside listening to see if I could hear it.  I noticed that I can hear it quite clearly standing in the open door of my garage, but two or three steps away I could no longer hear it.  The ambient noise should be the same in both locations.  I think every place I've heard the hum has been in a wood-frame building.  Maybe the wood is somehow magnifying the sound.  Or maybe it's just that the walls magnify it.  Just a thought.  ~ Carole

      "KD7JYK, 49H7KR" <kd7jyk@...> wrote:
      A guess would be more ambient noise.  If the hum is very low, say 40 dB and the ambient noise outside is 43 dB (twice as loud), you most likely won't hear it.  If noises inside your home is 37dB (half as loud), then the hum would be the loudest thing you hear.  If nerve related, the hum doesn't have to me an actual sound, just "brain static" perceived as accoustic input.

      Kurt

      Rosetta Proving Ground, Nevada
      Hell's Laboratory

      Message 2 of 12 , Aug 7, 2005
        Like liht, sound has "shadows", being in a doorway, you could be in a sound "shadow", blocking much of the ambient noise.  At other times, reflections of sounds can cancel each themselves, for example, I sit in the dining room, and when facing the table I hear the clothes drier on the other side of the wall, if I turn my head about 45 º, the sound is completely gone, not a trace and it's only about two feet away.  An idea...

        Kurt

        Rosetta Proving Ground, Nevada
        Hell's Laboratory
      • Jerry Cummings
        Message 3 of 12 , Aug 7, 2005
          Doppler effect.
          commenting on tinnitus - I was thinking that would explain the hum becoming worse during a low pressure - but knowing that if I was "suffering" from some form of tinnitus, I would hear it with my ears "closed" - well, it is NOT a form of tinnitus - the damn hum is external and still causing great mental agony.

          At 10:26 AM 8/7/2005, you wrote:
          Like liht, sound has "shadows", being in a doorway, you could be in a sound "shadow", blocking much of the ambient noise.  At other times, reflections of sounds can cancel each themselves, for example, I sit in the dining room, and when facing the table I hear the clothes drier on the other side of the wall, if I turn my head about 45 º, the sound is completely gone, not a trace and it's only about two feet away.  An idea...

          Kurt

          Rosetta Proving Ground, Nevada
          Hell's Laboratory

          Posting Guidelines:

          1.  No personal attacks.  But reasoned criticism of
          ideas and theories is welcome.
          2.  No gratuitous profanity.
          3.  No "kook" posts.
          4.  Limit posts to those that are necessary and have substantive content.  In general, no more than three per person per day.
          5.  Please sign all posts with your location (city, state, country).

          Hum United kingdom Kokomo indiana
          United states Taos new mexico Computer science

          YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

        • Selene

            Message 5 of 12 , Aug 7, 2005
              It occurs to me that even if I do hear the hum out in the boondocks, I will still not know if it is external or internal.  All I can say is, if I have tinnitus, then so do my Mom, my aunt, and a friend, who are all hearing the same thing.  ~ Carole

              http://mail.yahoo.com

            • MartWitherington@aol.com
              Message 6 of 12 , Aug 30, 2005
                bit behind on the mail but.

                had the same experiance originally.
                heard in house, step over threshold  sound disapears. Stick head out through window, sound disapears.

                BUT pick a quiet night,walk into a ground depression or small valley sound is there also. climb in car wwith all doors and windows shut. sound there to.
                Its to do with screening out HF audio......I think in these particular cases.

                mart
                uk